Velocity Reviews

-   -   Stopping at the end of an Excel spreadsheet (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t716822-stopping-at-the-end-of-an-excel-spreadsheet.html)

Matty F 03-05-2010 07:04 AM

Stopping at the end of an Excel spreadsheet

When replicating Excel formulas in large spreadsheets, is there a way
of stopping at the end without creating thousands of extra rows?
I'd like to stop at the end of the existing spreadsheet without
creating an extra 5000 rows, then undershooting and overshooting a few
times.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 03-05-2010 10:46 PM

Re: Stopping at the end of an Excel spreadsheet

In message <b1c7993b-9169-4060-
b2af-7fcb6907dc2b@z1g2000prc.googlegroups.com>, Matty F wrote:

> When replicating Excel formulas in large spreadsheets ...

If you’re doing anything that large, you probably shouldn’t be using a
spreadsheet.

Enkidu 03-06-2010 01:38 AM

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <b1c7993b-9169-4060-
> b2af-7fcb6907dc2b@z1g2000prc.googlegroups.com>, Matty F wrote:
>
>> When replicating Excel formulas in large spreadsheets ...

> If you’re doing anything that large, you probably shouldn’t be using
> a spreadsheet.

Another inanity from Lawrence. Whether or not you use a spreadsheet or a
database depends more on the use you want to put it to, not the size.

Spreadsheets are good if you want to do lots of ad hoc searches and
filtering. Databases are more suited to a standard set of searches and
filters that can be programmed.

It's the standard knee-jerk reaction if you have lots of data to put it
into a database, but if the data is more suited to a spreadsheet you
will find yourself writing stuff to emulate a spreadsheets abilities and
that is a waste of everyones' time and effort.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Matty F 03-06-2010 06:17 AM

On Mar 6, 2:38 pm, Enkidu <enkidu....@com.cliffp.com> wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> > In message <b1c7993b-9169-4060-
> > b2af-7fcb6907d...@z1g2000prc.googlegroups.com>, Matty F wrote:

> >> When replicating Excel formulas in large spreadsheets ...

> > If youre doing anything that large, you probably shouldnt be using
> > a spreadsheet.

> Another inanity from Lawrence. Whether or not you use a spreadsheet or a
> database depends more on the use you want to put it to, not the size.
>
> Spreadsheets are good if you want to do lots of ad hoc searches and
> filtering. Databases are more suited to a standard set of searches and
> filters that can be programmed.
>
> It's the standard knee-jerk reaction if you have lots of data to put it
> into a database, but if the data is more suited to a spreadsheet you
> will find yourself writing stuff to emulate a spreadsheets abilities and
> that is a waste of everyones' time and effort.

I have tens of thousands of lines of climate data and it's a real
mess. There is missing data, and overlapping data. I need to run tests
to highlight the errors, and put them in a good form to plot and
analyse.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 03-06-2010 11:47 AM

Re: Stopping at the end of an Excel spreadsheet

In message <42c0cc70-c164-406a-b128-61d73bf19eef@b9g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
Matty F wrote:

> I have tens of thousands of lines of climate data and it's a real
> mess. There is missing data, and overlapping data. I need to run tests
> to highlight the errors, and put them in a good form to plot and
> analyse.

Sounds like you need a maths or statistics package. Have you looked at R or
Sage?

Enkidu 03-06-2010 11:42 PM

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message
> <42c0cc70-c164-406a-b128-61d73bf19eef@b9g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
> Matty F wrote:
>
>> I have tens of thousands of lines of climate data and it's a real
>> mess. There is missing data, and overlapping data. I need to run
>> tests to highlight the errors, and put them in a good form to plot
>> and analyse.

> Sounds like you need a maths or statistics package. Have you looked
> at R or Sage?

No, it sounds like he has a set of data from many heterogeneous sources.
A stats package will not sort the gaps and overlaps.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccol di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 03-07-2010 12:07 AM

In message <hmtfcb$b2q$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Have you looked at R or Sage?

R <http://www.r-project.org/>
Sage <http://sagemath.org/>

There’s also NumPy and SciPy, but I think they’re rolled into Sage.

Matty F 03-17-2010 07:38 AM

On Mar 7, 12:42 pm, Enkidu <enkidu....@com.cliffp.com> wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> > In message
> > <42c0cc70-c164-406a-b128-61d73bf19...@b9g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
> > Matty F wrote:

> >> I have tens of thousands of lines of climate data and it's a real
> >> mess. There is missing data, and overlapping data. I need to run
> >> tests to highlight the errors, and put them in a good form to plot
> >> and analyse.

> > Sounds like you need a maths or statistics package. Have you looked
> > at R or Sage?

> No, it sounds like he has a set of data from many heterogeneous sources.
> A stats package will not sort the gaps and overlaps.

Excel is doing fine except that I'd like it to slow down as it
approaches the end of the spreadsheet. Surely a simple task for the
programmers of it.