Velocity Reviews

-   -   When A Company Starts Suing, It Stops Innovating (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t716542-when-a-company-starts-suing-it-stops-innovating.html)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 03-02-2010 10:30 PM

When A Company Starts Suing, It Stops Innovating

Apple is starting to sue its competitors, instead of competing with them
<http://techdirt.com/articles/20100302/1031458365.shtml>.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 03-03-2010 05:17 AM

Re: When A Company Starts Suing, It Stops Innovating

In message <hmk3im$rof$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Apple is starting to sue its competitors, instead of competing with them
> <http://techdirt.com/articles/20100302/1031458365.shtml>.

And it’s not just suing, it’s appealing to the US International Trade
Commission <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=7522>. This is a body that
gets to impose legally-binding penalties without having to go through all
the bother of actually following some sort of legal due process. Great way
to avoid having to actually prove your case...

Gordon 03-04-2010 05:20 AM

On 2010-03-02, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Apple is starting to sue its competitors, instead of competing with them
><http://techdirt.com/articles/20100302/1031458365.shtml>.

Good grief this is a newsgroup.

Also ask history, Apple is from the mould of MS. There are kissing cousins
from where I view things.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 03-04-2010 08:17 AM

Re: When A Company Starts Suing, It Stops Innovating

Others have noticed the 180° shift in Steve Jobs’ thinking: when Apple was
young, it innovated by building off the ideas of others. But now that it’s
mature, it must stop the new competition innovating off ideas it sees as
belong to it.

<http://techdirt.com/articles/20100302/1303598369.shtml>

Lawrance D'Oliverio 03-04-2010 09:56 AM

Re: When A Company Starts Suing, It Stops Innovating

I am not a monster raving hypocrite and I do not want to
lose my credibility, so I also say that when BusyBox
started suing they too stopped innovating.

<http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS3973290690.html>
<http://lucky13linux.wordpress.com/2007/12/07/fsf-watch-sflc-lawyers-sue-verizon/>

John Little 03-05-2010 12:53 AM

Re: When A Company Starts Suing, It Stops Innovating

> Also ask history, Apple is from the mould of MS. There are kissing cousins
> from where I view things.

MS learned some of its key practices from Apple (others from IBM...).
MS's second big success after MS-DOS was Word and Excel for the Mac.
To be fair, MS brainwashes developers less than Apple did, and I
suspect by choice, seeing it as better for MS, but what would I know.

Regards, John