Velocity Reviews

-   -   USB stick rescue (no MBR no Partition) "Code 10" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t716210-usb-stick-rescue-no-mbr-no-partition-code-10-a.html)

NotSure 02-27-2010 02:55 AM

USB stick rescue (no MBR no Partition) "Code 10"

Hi guys! Some #$%^& computer ruined my 2gig thumbdrive.

executive summary:
- Linux *fdisk* does not see the USBstick (udev does)
- (every) Windows says: This device cannot start (Code 10)

Details here http://y23.com/wiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RecoverySoftware
(output of dmesg, udevinfo, lsusb)

Knoppix, Winxp win98, HirenBootCD... a few old laptops.. available..

I'd be stoked if someone helped to recover my data, I'll gladly send
you a 2010 (or 2011) Astronomical Pocket Diary http://y23.com/apd or a

Always remember: Insomnia is nothing to loose sleep about!

Enkidu 02-27-2010 05:05 AM

Re: USB stick rescue (no MBR no Partition) "Code 10"

NotSure wrote:
> Hi guys! Some #$%^& computer ruined my 2gig thumbdrive.
>
> executive summary:
> - Linux *fdisk* does not see the USBstick (udev does)
> - (every) Windows says: This device cannot start (Code 10)
>
> Details here http://y23.com/wiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RecoverySoftware
> (output of dmesg, udevinfo, lsusb)
>
> Knoppix, Winxp win98, HirenBootCD... a few old laptops.. available..
>
> I'd be stoked if someone helped to recover my data, I'll gladly send
> you a 2010 (or 2011) Astronomical Pocket Diary http://y23.com/apd or a

If a USB stick goes bad, in my experience there's no way to get it back.
And I wouldn't blame the computer - USB sticks can fail all by themselves.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The ends justifies the means - Niccolň di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 02-27-2010 06:02 AM

Re: USB stick rescue (no MBR no Partition) "Code 10"

In message <b08bc997-
be89-4f26-97bc-4d39c35f9cb5@z1g2000prc.googlegroups.com>, NotSure wrote:

> - Linux *fdisk* does not see the USBstick (udev does)

You shouldn’t need to mess around with udev rules. The default rules include
automatic creation of device entries for USB storage devices.

Looking at the man page for fdisk(8), it says that “fdisk -l” with no
devices specified will list partitions from /proc/partitions. I believe this
lists partitions on all attached devices on which the kernel can recognize a
partition table.

So the fact that your drive is not showing up here must mean the partition
table is munged.

If you can make an intelligent guess as to what the partition layout should
be, you can recreate that with fdisk or sfdisk, and get your data back.
Would it be right to assume that there should be a single partition covering
the entire drive (apart from the partition table, of course)?

Richard 02-27-2010 06:06 AM

NotSure wrote:
> Hi guys! Some #$%^& computer ruined my 2gig thumbdrive.
>
> executive summary:
> - Linux *fdisk* does not see the USBstick (udev does)
> - (every) Windows says: This device cannot start (Code 10)
>
> Details here http://y23.com/wiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RecoverySoftware
> (output of dmesg, udevinfo, lsusb)
>
> Knoppix, Winxp win98, HirenBootCD... a few old laptops.. available..
>
> I'd be stoked if someone helped to recover my data, I'll gladly send
> you a 2010 (or 2011) Astronomical Pocket Diary http://y23.com/apd or a
> ..
>
> Always remember: Insomnia is nothing to loose sleep about!

I had one die and had to get someone to move the flash chip to an
identical drive to get the data off it.

Newer smaller ones are all integrated so you dont even have that option.

NotSure 02-27-2010 08:26 AM

Re: USB stick rescue (no MBR no Partition) "Code 10"

Thank you Lawrence!!!

> You shouldn’t need to mess around with udev rules. The default rules include
> automatic creation of device entries for USB storage devices.

aha!

> Looking at the man page for fdisk(8), it says that “fdisk -l” with no
> devices specified will list partitions from /proc/partitions. I believe this
> lists partitions on all attached devices on which the kernel can recognize a
> partition table.

ok, makes perfect sense.

> So the fact that your drive is not showing up here must mean the partition
> table is munged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mung
"the act of making several incremental changes to an item that combine
to destroy it"
LOL ... yes, that would be right.

> If you can make an intelligent guess as to what the partition layout should
> be, you can recreate that with fdisk or sfdisk, and get your data back.

Yet my stick is no longer a device. My idea was to create a device-
node to be able to talk to it.

> Would it be right to assume that there should be a single partition covering
> the entire drive (apart from the partition table, of course)?

Yes, it is a single partition 2gig. Let me describe my wonderful usb
flash drive in need of resurrection:

Last I was running a "Mini XP" windows,
to backup data from a 2cpu 2.8Ghz machine that always freezes..
I later found out that it may not freeze totally it just looses screen
and (usb-)keyboard,
but I am nit sure at all about this. In any case, while running a
mini-WinXP from
the stick ... it must have happened. -- No booting anymore from that
stick.
Later, at home, I found the stick was unusable.

I must have followed these (or similar) instructions to set it up:
http://ilearncomp.blogspot.com/2009/...ash-drive.html

But how can I use cfdisk if no device is usable?

I really would like to copy the stick bit-by-bit to harddrive and then
try to mount the image,
if it had appeared as /dev/sda I could have done that with dd if=/
dev/sda of=file.xyz
right?

NotSure 02-27-2010 08:51 AM

Re: USB stick rescue (no MBR no Partition) "Code 10"

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=dead+usb+drive
there is a suggestion to use a low-level QUICK format to revive the
dead flash drive.

My usb-pendrive is working fine. It's little blue light does exactly
what it did always,
I am sure there is just a BAD BYTE in the system area. But how to
access it?

===== original post ====

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 02-27-2010 08:52 AM

Re: USB stick rescue (no MBR no Partition) "Code 10"

In message <fa3a63e6-0ea9-4885-af94-
f14c273ee8e2@l24g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, NotSure wrote:

> In message <hmachh$6bc$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>> If you can make an intelligent guess as to what the partition layout
>> should be, you can recreate that with fdisk or sfdisk, and get your data
>> back.

> Yet my stick is no longer a device. My idea was to create a device-
> node to be able to talk to it.

There will be a device node. udev will have created one. Depending on how
many drives your machine already has, it will probably have a name like
/dev/sdb or /dev/sdc or ...

To find out, try this command

ls -l /sys/block | grep -vE 'loop|ram'

That will list all the block devices your kernel knows about, excluding
ramdisk and loopback devices. for each name nnn in turn, try listing the
partition table for the device /dev/nnn, e.g.

sfdisk -l /dev/sda
sfdisk -l /dev/sdb

and so on. If you get a meaningful partition listing, then that’s probably
not your USB drive. :)

Lusotec 02-27-2010 01:31 PM

NotSure wrote:
> Hi guys! Some #$%^& computer ruined my 2gig thumbdrive.
>
> executive summary:
> - Linux *fdisk* does not see the USBstick (udev does)
> - (every) Windows says: This device cannot start (Code 10)
>
> Details here http://y23.com/wiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RecoverySoftware
> (output of dmesg, udevinfo, lsusb)
>
> Knoppix, Winxp win98, HirenBootCD... a few old laptops.. available..
>
> I'd be stoked if someone helped to recover my data, I'll gladly send
> you a 2010 (or 2011) Astronomical Pocket Diary http://y23.com/apd or a

Looking at dmesg output I don't see information on a sd? device being
created for the USB drive.

Check if a /dev/sdX is created when you connect the USB drive.

If a /dev/sdX is created then use the command
dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/null
to check if the device can be read.

If this works, use the command
blkid /dev/sdX*
to get information the partition's file systems.

If a file system is detect then use the mount command to mount it.

Example:
mount -o ro /dev/sdX1 /mnt/tmp

If the USB drive hardware is damaged then retrieving the data may be very
expensive, if at all possible. If the damage is only on the data then you
may be able to recover your data using some software for that purpose.

Regards.

Enkidu 02-27-2010 10:05 PM

NotSure wrote:

> http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=dead+usb+drive there is a suggestion
> to use a low-level QUICK format to revive the dead flash drive.

A low level format would wipe all your data, wouldn't it?

> My usb-pendrive is working fine. It's little blue light does exactly
> what it did always, I am sure there is just a BAD BYTE in the system
> area. But how to access it?

If it were a bad byte in the system area you would usually see
*something* (eg a zero-byte size filesystem). Since you can't see
anything, even a device, the thing is probably beyond recovery.

Cheers,

Cliff

Mark Hobley 02-27-2010 11:08 PM

NotSure <DoNotReply2Here@gmx.net> wrote:

> I really would like to copy the stick bit-by-bit to harddrive and then
> try to mount the image,
> if it had appeared as /dev/sda I could have done that with dd if=/
> dev/sda of=file.xyz
> right?

You tend to mount partitions, not entire drives. So unless the drive had been
formatted without a partition table, this would not have worked.

It would have been better to use:

dd if=/dev/sda1 of=file.xyz

I suspect you also did something that wrote to /dev/sda, wiping out the
partition table, rendering the drive as not recognizable from within
Microsoft Windows.

You can use drives without a partition table, but it is not a good idea if
they are intented to be moved across systems, because some systems may see
the drive as unusable or empty.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley