Velocity Reviews

-   -   Yahoo Mail captchas (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t715955-yahoo-mail-captchas.html)

Richard Fangnail 02-24-2010 06:16 PM

Yahoo Mail captchas

There have been threads the past year about Yahoo Mail asking people
to enter Captchas (the twisted characters you enter for security) when
sending out emails. Apparently it's only for new users or people who
recently had suspicous activity.

I've never been asked for one until just now. A week ago somebody
mailed out garbage to 5-10 people on my Contacts list so it looked
like I had sent them. I don't know how they did it. Today, Yahoo
said I had to change my password and gave me the captcha. I then sent
2-3 emails and no captcha appeared.

I hope the captchas don't appear - I hate those things, and they are
unfair to kids or older people. And there's no way to get rid of
them. I've heard that they go away after a few weeks, is that true?

When you do get them, are they for every email or every so often?

Desk Rabbit 02-24-2010 06:35 PM

Re: Yahoo Mail captchas

On 24/02/2010 18:16, Richard Fangnail wrote:
> There have been threads the past year about Yahoo Mail asking people
> to enter Captchas (the twisted characters you enter for security) when
> sending out emails. Apparently it's only for new users or people who
> recently had suspicous activity.
>
> I've never been asked for one until just now. A week ago somebody
> mailed out garbage to 5-10 people on my Contacts list so it looked
> like I had sent them. I don't know how they did it. Today, Yahoo
> said I had to change my password and gave me the captcha. I then sent
> 2-3 emails and no captcha appeared.
>
> I hope the captchas don't appear - I hate those things, and they are
> unfair to kids or older people.

Why are they unfair?

Richard Fangnail 02-24-2010 06:40 PM

Re: Yahoo Mail captchas

On Feb 24, 10:35*am, Desk Rabbit <m...@example.com> wrote:
> On 24/02/2010 18:16, Richard Fangnail wrote:
>
> > There have been threads the past year about Yahoo Mail asking people
> > to enter Captchas (the twisted characters you enter for security) when
> > sending out emails. *Apparently it's only for new users or people who
> > recently had suspicous activity.

> > I've never been asked for one until just now. *A week ago somebody
> > mailed out garbage to 5-10 people on my Contacts list so it looked
> > like I had sent them. *I don't know how they did it. *Today, Yahoo
> > said I had to change my password and gave me the captcha. *I then sent
> > 2-3 emails and no captcha appeared.

> > I hope the captchas don't appear - I hate those things, and they are
> > unfair to kids or older people.

> Why are they unfair?

What I meant was that some people can't deal with the captchas due to
handicaps or confusion.

Rod Speed 02-24-2010 06:43 PM

Re: Yahoo Mail captchas

Richard Fangnail wrote:
> There have been threads the past year about Yahoo Mail asking people
> to enter Captchas (the twisted characters you enter for security) when
> sending out emails. Apparently it's only for new users or people who
> recently had suspicous activity.
>
> I've never been asked for one until just now. A week ago somebody
> mailed out garbage to 5-10 people on my Contacts list so it looked
> like I had sent them. I don't know how they did it. Today, Yahoo
> said I had to change my password and gave me the captcha. I then sent
> 2-3 emails and no captcha appeared.
>
> I hope the captchas don't appear - I hate those things, and they are
> unfair to kids or older people. And there's no way to get rid of
> them. I've heard that they go away after a few weeks, is that true?
>
> When you do get them, are they for every email or every so often?

Makes more sense to use gmail instead of yahoo mail. Handles spam much better too.

John Holmes 02-24-2010 09:05 PM

Re: Yahoo Mail captchas

Richard Fangnail "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> On Feb 24, 10:35*am, Desk Rabbit <m...@example.com> wrote:
>> On 24/02/2010 18:16, Richard Fangnail wrote:
>>
>> > There have been threads the past year about Yahoo Mail asking people
>> > to enter Captchas (the twisted characters you enter for security)

when
>> > sending out emails. *Apparently it's only for new users or people

who
>> > recently had suspicous activity.

>> > I've never been asked for one until just now. *A week ago somebody
>> > mailed out garbage to 5-10 people on my Contacts list so it looked
>> > like I had sent them. *I don't know how they did it. *Today, Yahoo
>> > said I had to change my password and gave me the captcha. *I then

sen
>> > 2-3 emails and no captcha appeared.

>> > I hope the captchas don't appear - I hate those things, and they are
>> > unfair to kids or older people.

>> Why are they unfair?

> What I meant was that some people can't deal with the captchas due to
> handicaps or confusion.

Like you, eh?

--
<snip>

hwf 02-24-2010 10:58 PM

Re: Yahoo Mail captchas

In message <201002242105.o1OL5JD09922@smtp.cobalt.loc>, John Holmes wrote:
> Richard Fangnail "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> when

> who

> sen

> >> Why are they unfair?

> > What I meant was that some people can't deal with the captchas due to
> > handicaps or confusion.

> Like you, eh?

THey should put them on car ignition systems.

Word.

Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
http://www.ramusa.org/
Cash for *who*?
http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

NotMe 02-24-2010 11:48 PM

Re: Yahoo Mail captchas

"Desk Rabbit" <me@example.com> wrote in message
> On 24/02/2010 18:16, Richard Fangnail wrote:
>> There have been threads the past year about Yahoo Mail asking people
>> to enter Captchas (the twisted characters you enter for security) when
>> sending out emails. Apparently it's only for new users or people who
>> recently had suspicous activity.
>>
>> I've never been asked for one until just now. A week ago somebody
>> mailed out garbage to 5-10 people on my Contacts list so it looked
>> like I had sent them. I don't know how they did it. Today, Yahoo
>> said I had to change my password and gave me the captcha. I then sent
>> 2-3 emails and no captcha appeared.
>>
>> I hope the captchas don't appear - I hate those things, and they are
>> unfair to kids or older people.

> Why are they unfair?

Because some folk's vision/perception can't decipher the code. Audio
alternative for the blind is a night mare. Those that are ADD/Dyslexic are
screwed.

Some providers give users 3-5 shots to enter the right code then lock out
the user for 24 hours others required a CS troop to intervene.

Richard Fangnail 02-25-2010 12:48 AM

Re: Yahoo Mail captchas

On Feb 24, 2:27*pm, gordonb.3y...@burditt.org (Gordon Burditt) wrote:

> Beware of emails containing links that tell you to change your
> password, especially if they don't contain your name. *You may have
> just given your password away to the bad guys. *And when they use
> your account to spam, expect a lot more captchas or a cancelled
> account. *I suggest you go to Yahoo by typing in the address manually,
> and change your password AGAIN.

There wasn't an email from Yahoo. It was something that appeared on
their page.

Scott in SoCal 02-25-2010 03:37 AM

Re: Yahoo Mail captchas

Last time on misc.consumers, Richard Fangnail
<richardfangnail@excite.com> said:

>There have been threads the past year about Yahoo Mail asking people
>to enter Captchas (the twisted characters you enter for security) when
>sending out emails. Apparently it's only for new users or people who
>recently had suspicous activity.

That's what they say, anyway.

>I've never been asked for one until just now. A week ago somebody
>mailed out garbage to 5-10 people on my Contacts list so it looked
>like I had sent them. I don't know how they did it. Today, Yahoo
>said I had to change my password and gave me the captcha.

I can't tie the appearance of the crapchas to any such clear-cut
event. The support droids are, of course, completely useless. Their
explanation of why the crapchas appeared made no sense, and they are
either unable or unwilling to clear the flag in my account record that
causes the crapchas to be displayed.

>I hope the captchas don't appear - I hate those things, and they are
>unfair to kids or older people. And there's no way to get rid of
>them. I've heard that they go away after a few weeks, is that true?

They probably NEVER go away. It's been over a year, and Yahoo Mail is
still asking for those goddamned crapchas. It's made that particular
account virtually unusable.

>When you do get them, are they for every email or every so often?

EVERY. SINGLE. EMAIL.

It's ironic that the "solution" to SPAM is more aggravating than the
SPAM itself.

Desk Rabbit 02-25-2010 09:35 AM

Re: Yahoo Mail captchas

On 24/02/2010 18:40, Richard Fangnail wrote:
> On Feb 24, 10:35 am, Desk Rabbit<m...@example.com> wrote:
>> On 24/02/2010 18:16, Richard Fangnail wrote:
>>
>>> There have been threads the past year about Yahoo Mail asking people
>>> to enter Captchas (the twisted characters you enter for security) when
>>> sending out emails. Apparently it's only for new users or people who
>>> recently had suspicous activity.

>>> I've never been asked for one until just now. A week ago somebody
>>> mailed out garbage to 5-10 people on my Contacts list so it looked
>>> like I had sent them. I don't know how they did it. Today, Yahoo
>>> said I had to change my password and gave me the captcha. I then sent
>>> 2-3 emails and no captcha appeared.

>>> I hope the captchas don't appear - I hate those things, and they are
>>> unfair to kids or older people.

>> Why are they unfair?

> What I meant was that some people can't deal with the captchas due to
> handicaps or confusion.

The majority of captchas I've seen and used have a small icon next to
them to allow the words to be spoken to assist visually impaired people.

Unfortunately there is little that can be done for people in a permanent
state of confusion for which sending email might be the least of their
problems.