Velocity Reviews

-   -   Recommendation for ATA (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t715533-recommendation-for-ata.html)

B 02-20-2010 12:19 AM

Recommendation for ATA

I currently have a PAP2 which works fine but I' need a second ATA. To
my surprise the price of these ATAs is now (around 40) about the same
as 5 years ago when I bought mine (I had assumed price would have come
down). I would rather like to have some additional facilities like a
standard POTS port as well as an integrated ethernet switch.

What would you recommend - another PAP2 or something with extra
facilities (as long as the cost is not more than around 80)?

Woody 02-20-2010 08:01 AM

Re: Recommendation for ATA

"B" <@.> wrote in message
I currently have a PAP2 which works fine but I' need a second
ATA. To
my surprise the price of these ATAs is now (around 40) about the
same
as 5 years ago when I bought mine (I had assumed price would have
come
down). I would rather like to have some additional facilities
like a
standard POTS port as well as an integrated ethernet switch.

What would you recommend - another PAP2 or something with extra
facilities (as long as the cost is not more than around 80)?

Grandstream have always been regarded as a good make, but why not
Sipura?

Sipura were taken over by Linksys so are now part of the Cisco
family, but the older model numbers still survive. Since you are
happy with your PAP2T why not look at the SPA2000 or SPA3000
series?

If you want help on setting (at least) the SPA2000 look on the
Sipgate web site under Sipura - it really does make life easy!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Brian A 02-23-2010 11:46 AM

Re: Recommendation for ATA

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 08:01:12 +0000, Woody wrote:

> "B" <Á@.å> wrote in message
> news:56aun5drmmn8fbfjf4s1f9tgkrl5spaam8@4ax.com... I currently have a
> PAP2 which works fine but I' need a second ATA. To
> my surprise the price of these ATAs is now (around £40) about the same
> as 5 years ago when I bought mine (I had assumed price would have come
> down). I would rather like to have some additional facilities like a
> standard POTS port as well as an integrated ethernet switch.
>
> What would you recommend - another PAP2 or something with extra
> facilities (as long as the cost is not more than around £80)?
>

> Grandstream have always been regarded as a good make, but why not
> Sipura?
>
> Sipura were taken over by Linksys so are now part of the Cisco family,
> but the older model numbers still survive. Since you are happy with your
> PAP2T why not look at the SPA2000 or SPA3000 series?
>
> If you want help on setting (at least) the SPA2000 look on the Sipgate
> web site under Sipura - it really does make life easy!

Linksys/Sipura/Cisco SPA-3102 as an ATA.
This is an ATA router. It has a single router output so it OK if you want
to feed just one computer but the QoS on the router does not, in my
experience, perform very well.
However, if you ignore the router part and just use it as an ATA it has
advantages over the PAP2.
Briefly...
1. You can connect a landline phone to it so that landline and voip calls
can be made and received on a single set of handsets.
2. You can have up to 5 outgoing providers + landline.

--
Please remove 'no_spam_' from email address

B 02-23-2010 10:19 PM

Re: Recommendation for ATA

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:46:41 GMT, Brian A wrote:

>Linksys/Sipura/Cisco SPA-3102 as an ATA.
>This is an ATA router. It has a single router output so it OK if you want
>to feed just one computer but the QoS on the router does not, in my
>experience, perform very well.
>However, if you ignore the router part and just use it as an ATA it has
>advantages over the PAP2.
>Briefly...
>1. You can connect a landline phone to it so that landline and voip calls
>can be made and received on a single set of handsets.
>2. You can have up to 5 outgoing providers + landline.

Sounds good. Is the dial plan set-up similar to my PAP2? Have you any
recommendation for a supplier offering a good price for a new one?

Sinna 02-24-2010 07:31 AM

Re: Recommendation for ATA

On 2/23/2010 11:19 PM, B wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:46:41 GMT, Brian A wrote:
>
>> Linksys/Sipura/Cisco SPA-3102 as an ATA.
>> This is an ATA router. It has a single router output so it OK if you want
>> to feed just one computer but the QoS on the router does not, in my
>> experience, perform very well.
>> However, if you ignore the router part and just use it as an ATA it has
>> advantages over the PAP2.
>> Briefly...
>> 1. You can connect a landline phone to it so that landline and voip calls
>> can be made and received on a single set of handsets.
>> 2. You can have up to 5 outgoing providers + landline.

> Sounds good. Is the dial plan set-up similar to my PAP2? Have you any
> recommendation for a supplier offering a good price for a new one?

AFAIK they share the same Web Interface so setting up the dial plan will
be (about?) the same.

Sinna

Brian A 02-26-2010 12:43 AM

Re: Recommendation for ATA

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 08:31:31 +0100, Sinna wrote:

> On 2/23/2010 11:19 PM, B wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:46:41 GMT, Brian A wrote:
>>
>>> Linksys/Sipura/Cisco SPA-3102 as an ATA. This is an ATA router. It has
>>> a single router output so it OK if you want to feed just one computer
>>> but the QoS on the router does not, in my experience, perform very
>>> well.
>>> However, if you ignore the router part and just use it as an ATA it
>>> has advantages over the PAP2.
>>> Briefly...
>>> 1. You can connect a landline phone to it so that landline and voip
>>> calls can be made and received on a single set of handsets. 2. You can
>>> have up to 5 outgoing providers + landline.

>> Sounds good. Is the dial plan set-up similar to my PAP2? Have you any
>> recommendation for a supplier offering a good price for a new one?

> AFAIK they share the same Web Interface so setting up the dial plan will
> be (about?) the same.
>
> Sinna

£54 +post from broadbandstuff.co.uk and broadbandbuyer.co.uk
There are slightly cheaper prices from less well known vendors.

--
Please remove 'no_spam_' from email address