Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Allowing Skype Install Corporate Network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t715097-re-allowing-skype-install-corporate-network.html)

Christof Meerwald 02-15-2010 08:06 PM

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:54:26 -0000, TheScullster wrote:
> What are the dangers associated with installing Skype software on a PC
> connected to a corporate domain?

see 3.3 in the EULA:

"3.3 Utilization of Your Computer: Skype Software may utilize the
processor and bandwidth of the computer (or other applicable device) You
are utilizing, for the limited purpose of facilitating the communication
between Skype Software users. Skype will use its commercially reasonable
efforts to protect the privacy and integrity of the computer resources (or
other applicable device) You are utilizing and of Your communication,
however Skype cannot give any warranties in this respect."

Not everyone is comfortable with that.

Christof

http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org

alexd 02-16-2010 08:57 PM

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:06:36 +0000, Christof Meerwald wrote:

> see 3.3 in the EULA:

> Not everyone is comfortable with that.

I suspect if anyone ever read an EULA, they would be uncomfortable with
it.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm@ale.cx)
20:56:55 up 1 day, 1:47, 6 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Christof Meerwald 02-16-2010 10:02 PM

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:57:49 +0000 (UTC), alexd wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:06:36 +0000, Christof Meerwald wrote:
>> see 3.3 in the EULA:
>> Not everyone is comfortable with that.

> I suspect if anyone ever read an EULA, they would be uncomfortable with
> it.

That's why I prefer using Open Source software - these are much more
friendly to the end user than commercial EULAs.

Christof

http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org

Adrian C 02-17-2010 12:29 PM

On 16/02/2010 22:02, Christof Meerwald wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:57:49 +0000 (UTC), alexd wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:06:36 +0000, Christof Meerwald wrote:
>>> see 3.3 in the EULA:
>>> Not everyone is comfortable with that.

>> I suspect if anyone ever read an EULA, they would be uncomfortable with
>> it.

> That's why I prefer using Open Source software - these are much more
> friendly to the end user than commercial EULAs.

Depends how much peer review has been done on the Open Source software.
In either case, I could still write a really nice looking presentation
application and run away with your business data, no matter what's been
impressively written on the install screen of the application (and
ignored with a single click, as the user WANTS to run the software and
wouldn't be here otherwise).

Though, if we want to take that the legal text has some actual relevence
to the software, then what would be great idea would be for a user
application to monitor installs and scan the EULA for dodgy text.

--
Adrian C