Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Allowing Skype Install Corporate Network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t715079-re-allowing-skype-install-corporate-network.html)

Bodincus 02-15-2010 06:36 PM

Re: Allowing Skype Install Corporate Network

TheScullster:
> Hi all

Hi Phil

prepare for a ride...

> What are the dangers associated with installing Skype software on a PC
> connected to a corporate domain?

Multiple and severe.

> Previously I have heard scare stories about servers being hijacked and used
> as supernodes.

No, it's not "hijacking" per se, but if you are not experienced and
skilled enough to handle this (and given you are asking these questions,
I gather you are not) PLEASE DON'T, for the sake of the company you plan
to do this for (or against?).

> Does opening up the company firewall to allow this communication pose a
> threat to the general corporate security?

That is always true, any open port is a threat.
Skype doesn't use predefined TCP/UDP ports for its traffic, you can't
"open ports for Skype". It's made to self-adapt and cross routers, NAT
devices and firewalls. In fact, you can't STOP it from crossing your
firewall: you need DPI (Deep Packet Inspection) to determine that that
specific traffic IS from Skype, it's on a different ISO/OSI level than
most firewalls work onto.
Again, your level of knowledge is consistently low so I won't recommend
you to adventure in such minefields.

> Any other gotchas?

Skype is NOT an application that should run though a corporate network.
It's a simple basic tool to allow private individuals to have basic
conversations through their PCs.

If you are after business grade communication, Skype is NOT suitable.

Please refer to http://www.voip-info.org to start your journey.

--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid