Velocity Reviews

-   -   optimal no of inputs to be given in a test bench (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t715008-optimal-no-of-inputs-to-be-given-in-a-test-bench.html)

chaitu 02-15-2010 04:31 AM

optimal no of inputs to be given in a test bench

hi all,

lets say there is a system in which there are N -inputs and 1 -
output. lets say N-100 or 1000 etc.

if we want to test it completely we have to give all 2 power N inputs
and examine the functionality which will take more time and impossible
as N goes high.
so my question is how many no of optimum inputs one should give to
test the functionality of such system.

Mike Treseler 02-15-2010 07:00 PM

Re: optimal no of inputs to be given in a test bench

chaitu wrote:

> lets say there is a system in which there are N -inputs and 1 -
> output. lets say N-100 or 1000 etc.

Sounds more like a gate than a system.

> if we want to test it completely we have to give all 2 power N inputs

Maybe you mean possible input values.

> and examine the functionality which will take more time and impossible
> as N goes high.
> so my question is how many no of optimum inputs one should give to
> test the functionality of such system.

I have to wiggle all of the inputs, but
probably not cover of the possible values.

A more interesting question is how best
to partition the testing. Some designers
test everything from the top level.
Others work up from the bottom with
unit tests for each interface and
a much simpler top testbench.