Velocity Reviews

-   -   removing a partition (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t714968-removing-a-partition.html)

Drew 02-14-2010 07:38 PM

removing a partition

Hi all.. I currently dual boot Vista business and win7 rc. since I currently
cannot afford to do the upgrade to full win7 and the rc is going to expire
soon I was wondering, Can I simply delete the partition containing win 7 or
will it be more involved than that. All help appreciated. Thanks

Bobby Johnson 02-14-2010 08:19 PM

Re: removing a partition

What is the current layout of your system? Where is Vista 64-bit
installed and where is Win 7 64-bit installed?

Drew 02-14-2010 11:42 PM

Re: removing a partition

Thanks for responding Bobby.. originally I had one drive (C:)with vista64
on it. I then shrank that drive using disk management and created a
partition (J:) I then installed win7 64bit rc on (J:). Any other info
required?

Bobby Johnson 02-15-2010 12:00 AM

Re: removing a partition

I would think you could delete the partition without J: affecting your
Vista installation on partition C:.

Drew 02-15-2010 01:15 AM

Re: removing a partition

Bobby, I don't know whether it makes a difference or not but when I boot the
computer I am given the choice of course as to which to boot to win 7 first
or win vista 2nd. Will I have to do something else or when I format "J"( if
that is possible) will that choice then disappear ?

Tom 02-15-2010 02:23 AM

Re: removing a partition

Which was installed first, Win 7 or Vista. Usually the older operating
system is installed first (that in this case being Vista), though it can be
done the other way as well. One sure fire way to know which one is the drive
that loads for both systems is the "C:" drive. I know that Win7 actually
creates its own 100MB partition for loading the OS, which is a pretty cool
way to take care of the loader.

Drew 02-15-2010 04:08 AM

Re: removing a partition

Vista installed first but win 7 shows first on boot screen with vista listed
below it. If I do not specifically choose vista it will auto boot into win7
after I believe 20 seconds.

Dominic Payer 02-15-2010 12:28 PM

Re: removing a partition

The Windows 7 RC partition can be deleted.

The boot options will still be displayed with a default timeout of 30
seconds.

The easiest way to remove the boot option choice is to install EasyBCD
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 and use that to edit the boot options.

Tom 02-15-2010 03:28 PM

Re: removing a partition

Answered by Dominic and he is correct.