Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Cisco WLC (AIR-WLC2006-K9) Serial Cable (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t714538-re-cisco-wlc-air-wlc2006-k9-serial-cable.html)

bod43 02-10-2010 03:06 PM

Re: Cisco WLC (AIR-WLC2006-K9) Serial Cable

On 10 Feb, 03:48, Hamzah Khan <ham...@removethis.hamzahkhan.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 16:03:56 -0600, Hamzah Khan wrote:
> > I've been trying to get access to the CLI on a AIR-WLC2006-K9 WLC I
> > bought a few weeks ago as part of a lab kit, but have been very
> > unsuccessful.

> > I've tried a straight-through serial cable, a null modem serial cable,
> > and two DB-9 to RJ45 serial cables (the type used with most Cisco
> > equipment) with an RJ45 coupler between them, but none of them seem to
> > work (no output on my terminal emulator).

> > I've checked my terminal emulator (minicom) settings multiple times
> > (9600 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity and no flow control), and
> > I'm sure they are correct anyway since these settings are the same for
> > all other Cisco routers, and it works fine on my 1841 and other routers..
> > I'm just having issues with this WLC. :(

> > Is there a special type of cable I need to use for this WLC?

> > Any clarification truly appreciated!

> > Regards

> > Hamzah

> Using a multimeter I just discovered that my null modem serial cable
> isn't wired for handshaking (only ground and RX/TX are wired (crossed
> over)). Could this be the problem?

Docs say you need a null modem cable, so possibly. Most likely to
affect PC end. Cisco say they don't use hardware handshaking.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...d805aaad6.html
Console port: RS-232 (DB-9 male, DTE interface)
Cisco 2006 Wireless LAN Controllers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wire...rn422070..html
DB-9-to-DB-9 null modem cable

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80665cdf.shtml

* 9600 baud
* 8 data bits
* 1 stop bit
* No parity
* No hardware flow control

The default username is admin, and the default password is admin.

Loads more here.

You should be able to find a recipie for a null modem cable
on t'interwebby without any trouble.

bod43 02-10-2010 03:33 PM

On 10 Feb, 15:06, bod43 <Bo...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wire...ease/notes/crn...
> DB-9-to-DB-9 null modem cable

You can assemble such a cable from cisco console
cable components if you have-

"RJ-45 to DB-9 Female" - cable (usually blue
and marked "Terminal" and ships with most cisco
switches and routers today)
"RJ-45-to-DB-9 Adapter" shipped with routers a while back

Has always worked for me.

Same thing can be made from

2 x "RJ-45-to-DB-9 Adapter" - usually marked "Terminal"
1 x "Rolled Cable"- cisco ones usually blue but have
seen some black (old ones were black)

Same thing can be made from

2 x "RJ-45 to DB-9 Female" - cable
1 x "Rolled Cable"
2 x RJ45 coupler - as you call them.

By the way you can also assemble straight through
RS-232 cables as follows

2 x "RJ-45-to-DB-9 Adapter" - usually marked "Terminal"
1 x "Straight-through Cable" - normal Ethernet patch lead
is fine

2 x "RJ-45 to DB-9 Female" - cable
1 x RJ45 coupler - as you call them.

Above works with DB-25 too.

See
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...6.shtml#topic4

If you want you can swap
Rolled cable + "terminal" headshell adaptor
for
Straight Cable + "modem" headshell adaptor
modem headshell only available in DB-25
but of course you must be able to make one.

You can test your null modem cable and PC by
connecting 2 x PCs with it and by running terminal emulator
on both, typing should be copied across the cable.

I used to have a kit of this plus some gender benders and
9-25 adaptors. Never beaten on any RS-232 device that
I encountered that used the standard pinout on DB-9
or DB-25, male or female.