Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: What's the matter with Linux this time? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t714274-re-whats-the-matter-with-linux-this-time.html)

John Little 02-08-2010 12:23 AM

Re: What's the matter with Linux this time?

> Guys, really, I keep telling you -- it's all about the applications. Linux
> just can't compete when it comes to offering a platform for professional
> quality applications.

Impossible, it's not about the applications, or the technicalities.
It's about keeping our children free from oppression.

If you don't want our society controlled by powerful American
corporates, you don't want our computers controlled by an OS
controlled secretively by an American corporate.

Our open society (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_society, the
term "open" coined many years before computers) is dependent upon the
free dissemination of ideas, and historically that has meant the free
press, and freedom of association. Both are becoming computerized,
and more easily controlled.

I don't care how good windows is, it makes an Orwellian future more
likely. Especially how users are brainwashed into how to do things,
and so how to think. Your ideas as what makes "professional quality"
are the result of such brainwashing; no profession should tolerate
their work being so easily used for criminal purposes.

John Little 02-08-2010 02:56 AM

On Feb 8, 1:50*pm, "impossible" <impossi...@nospam.net> wrote:

> How does your rant explain the steady decline in linux usage?

**** happens. The bad guys often win. America seems to be giving up
on democracy (f.ex., the recent lobbying win in their supreme court,
Fox news) but that doesn't mean we should, or bend over and submit to
their wishes.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 02-08-2010 03:04 AM

Re: What's the matter with Linux this time?

In message <c32d9c41-61a3-400a-84fd-
fb12fcfeea46@x1g2000prb.googlegroups.com>, John Little wrote:

>> How does your rant explain the steady decline in linux usage?

> **** happens. The bad guys often win.

Since when is Linux usage declining? It has 20% of the netbook market, which
is the only part of the PC hardware business still showing any growth.

Microsoft’s figures say otherwise, but their record of accuracy is not good.

Max Burke 02-08-2010 05:14 AM

On 8/02/2010 1:23 p.m., John Little wrote:

>> Guys, really, I keep telling you -- it's all about the applications. Linux
>> just can't compete when it comes to offering a platform for professional
>> quality applications.

> Impossible, it's not about the applications, or the technicalities.
> It's about keeping our children free from oppression.

ROTFLOL

snip the quasi-religous mantra of the Linux 'church.'

there's no need to provide 'the numbers' when we have 'linux advocates'
posting crap like this to promote it....

--
MaxLVB99@gmail.com

Found Images

John Little 02-08-2010 08:53 AM

Re: What's the matter with Linux this time?

> snip the quasi-religous mantra of the Linux 'church.'

It's not religion, it's politics. Eternal vigilance is the price of
liberty.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 02-08-2010 09:03 AM

Re: What's the matter with Dimdows this time?

In message
<2e50d8c8-9108-49e8-9a6f-6e11d7823a4e@m24g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, John
Little wrote:

> It's not religion, it's politics.

And economics as well. As a consultant, I like to point out the benefits of
greater flexibility, lower licensing-compliance costs, no need to ask
anyone’s permission before doing something new.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 02-09-2010 06:51 AM

In message <j7CdnRJuNpJ1nOzWnZ2dnUVZ_jpi4p2d@giganews.com>, Allistar wrote:

> That doesn't say the the number of Linux users has dropped 25% in the last
> year.

Seems unlikely that they would have, given that Linux has a respectable
chunk of the fastest-growing segment of the PC hardware market, namely
netbooks.

peterwn 02-09-2010 10:07 AM

Re: What's the matter with Larry D'Loser this time?

On Feb 9, 5:57*pm, "impossible" <impossi...@nospam.net> wrote:
> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <l...@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote in message

> > As a consultant, I like to point out the benefits of
> > greater flexibility, lower licensing-compliance costs, no need to ask
> > anyones permission before doing something new.

> As a "consultant", you're an idiot, but you do make a terrific nix troll.

Another cheap baseless personal attack. He said he was a consultant,
not a beneficiary. If he were an 'idiot' he would have no clients and
hence would be a beneficiary.

Stephen Worthington 02-10-2010 06:05 AM

Re: What's the matter with Linux this time?

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 07:02:09 -0600, "impossible"
<impossible@nospam.net> wrote:

>"Allistar" <b@c.com> wrote in message
>news:j7CdnRJuNpJ1nOzWnZ2dnUVZ_jpi4p2d@giganews.co m...
>> impossible wrote:
>>

>>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote in message

>>> <http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php>
>>>
>>> Down 25% in the past year. Can't you read?

>> That doesn't say the the number of Linux users has dropped 25% in the last
>> year.
>> --

>Duh, percent is percent, Allistar. The number of linux users per 100 users
>of all operating systems has declined byone-fourth in the last year. It's
>the standard way of measuring performance. Deal with it.

No, you need to use English more carefully. Those statistics you are
so fond of quoting may say a 25% decrease, but in what? You said:

"Larry D'Loserites always have some excuse for why linux usage on the
desktop is stagnant. But after trending steadily downward throughout
the past year (25% less in January 2010 then in January 2009), you'd
really have to say now that linux usage is dying a slow death."

Any sensible reader of English would understand from that that you
were saying that the absolute numbers of Linux users had decreased,
not that the number of Linux users as a proportion of all users had
decreased. The association from the word "stagnant" does it -
"stagnant" in that context refers to numbers, not percentages or
relative numbers. That makes the in the next sentence 25% also refer
to an absolute number, not a relative one.

In any case, all the statistics on that web page actually say is that,
of the web sites tracked by that organisation, 1.63% of page views
came from web browsers that identify themselves as running on Linux.
Reading anything more into the numbers such as the percentage of Linux
desktop users actually out there is junk statistics - the numbers do
not translate from one to the other. You would need someone to do a
careful peer reviewed study of how the statistical relationship
between the page views numbers and the actual desktop user numbers
worked before you could say anything more from those results.

Also, given the massive number of web sites out there, 32,451 sites
seems like a very small sample. I wonder if W3Counter is going out of
business - I would have expected them to have more sites than that.

Stephen Worthington 02-10-2010 09:21 PM

Re: What's the matter with Linux this time?

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 06:29:22 -0600, "impossible"
<impossible@nospam.net> wrote:

>"Stephen Worthington" <stephen@jsw12.gen34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
>message news:9bh4n5p7uj79lj7t1lfup8b73iomhba29u@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 07:02:09 -0600, "impossible"
>> <impossible@nospam.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"Allistar" <b@c.com> wrote in message
>>>news:j7CdnRJuNpJ1nOzWnZ2dnUVZ_jpi4p2d@giganews. com...

>>>Duh, percent is percent, Allistar. The number of linux users per 100 users
>>>of all operating systems has declined byone-fourth in the last year. It's
>>>the standard way of measuring performance. Deal with it.

>> No, you need to use English more carefully. Those statistics you are
>> so fond of quoting may say a 25% decrease, but in what? You said:
>>
>> "Larry D'Loserites always have some excuse for why linux usage on the
>> desktop is stagnant. But after trending steadily downward throughout
>> the past year (25% less in January 2010 then in January 2009), you'd
>> really have to say now that linux usage is dying a slow death."
>>
>> Any sensible reader of English would understand from that that you
>> were saying that the absolute numbers of Linux users had decreased,
>> not that the number of Linux users as a proportion of all users had
>> decreased. The association from the word "stagnant" does it -
>> "stagnant" in that context refers to numbers, not percentages or
>> relative numbers. That makes the in the next sentence 25% also refer
>> to an absolute number, not a relative one.
>>

>Stephen the Spinmeister -- always entertaining to watch you twist simple
>facts.

No, you are the one who twists things. So much that I get to the
point where I just have to call you on it.

>> In any case, all the statistics on that web page actually say is that,
>> of the web sites tracked by that organisation, 1.63% of page views
>> came from web browsers that identify themselves as running on Linux.
>> Reading anything more into the numbers such as the percentage of Linux
>> desktop users actually out there is junk statistics - the numbers do
>> not translate from one to the other. You would need someone to do a
>> careful peer reviewed study of how the statistical relationship
>> between the page views numbers and the actual desktop user numbers
>> worked before you could say anything more from those results.
>>

>6 other samples all agree -- in fact W3counter provides the most generous
>estimate of all.
>
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_desktop_operating_systems>
>
>This is a widely respoected method of estimating market share. Since no
>Larry D'Loserite, yourself included, has ever been able to point to an
>alternative site providing factual information that contradicts any of the
>above references, I can only interpret your intervention here as sheer FUD.

Your own reference Wikipedia page is clearly something that you have
not read very well. I have just browsed it a little, but even that
little makes it clear you have not. How about this quote, from the
end of the first paragraph: "Information about operating systems share
is difficult to obtain. In most of the categories below, there is no
reliable primary source or methodology for its collection." That
makes it pretty clear I think. There is considerable variation in the
figures from different sources shown there. The page also points to
cautions about interpreting the figures from web hits in just the way
I am cautioning you. And did you check out reference [2]? Steve
Ballmer of Microsoft apparently thinks that Linux is a bigger
competitor for them than Apple:

http://www.osnews.com/story/21035/Ba...tor_than_Apple

>> Also, given the massive number of web sites out there, 32,451 sites
>> seems like a very small sample. I wonder if W3Counter is going out of
>> business - I would have expected them to have more sites than that.

>Yes, I was right. FUD it is.

Please elucidate. In what way was what I said FUD? You are the
FUDder. I just said that you interpret statistics to mean far more
than they do. I have never said that Linux's usage is huge or that it
may not be in the range suggested by those web counters. It may or
may not be. But you just can not tell from web page counters. So
where is the Fear, or Uncertainty in that? Doubt, yes indeed. I take
great caution in interpreting any statistics. You should too.