Velocity Reviews

-   -   1TB Flash Mem to replace HD? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t714244-1tb-flash-mem-to-replace-hd.html)

trs80 02-07-2010 04:54 PM

1TB Flash Mem to replace HD?

Does anyone yet make a .8TB to 1TB Flash memory in a 3.5" drive physical
format. Or other physical size that is fairly dense. If so, could you
pass on a reference? The interface would need to support about at a
400MB/s sustained rate. I can work with any interface such as Fiber
Channel or whatever .
thanks for any tips

JD 02-07-2010 06:03 PM

Re: 1TB Flash Mem to replace HD?

On 07/02/2010 4:54 PM, trs80 wrote:
> Does anyone yet make a .8TB to 1TB Flash memory in a 3.5" drive physical
> format. Or other physical size that is fairly dense. If so, could you
> pass on a reference? The interface would need to support about at a
> 400MB/s sustained rate. I can work with any interface such as Fiber
> Channel or whatever .
> thanks for any tips

How about Solid State Hard Drives ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

or an I-Ram / I-Ram2 / Hyperdrive ?, these all use DDR Ram.

JD

Paul 02-07-2010 08:30 PM

trs80 wrote:
> Does anyone yet make a .8TB to 1TB Flash memory in a 3.5" drive physical
> format. Or other physical size that is fairly dense. If so, could you
> pass on a reference? The interface would need to support about at a
> 400MB/s sustained rate. I can work with any interface such as Fiber
> Channel or whatever .
> thanks for any tips

Here is an SSD with a PCI Express x8 interface.
Sustained write 600MB/sec. 10000 IOPS. 1TB capacity.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...ci_express_ssd

Listed as about $4700

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Express-So...dp_ob_title_ce

I think inside the box, you'll find four SSD drives and a RAID controller with cache.

This one appears to be built as a drive mechanism, and is available with
different interfaces. The IOPS rating is higher. But the sustained write
rate is too low. Perhaps two of the 2.5" ones in RAID0 would do, using
SATA 6Gb/sec interfaces.

http://www.stec-inc.com/interface/fc.php

So at least that gives some idea as to whether it can be done or not.
It may require you to do some RAID0 magic, to get what you want.

A couple of these RAIDed, might come close. 2 x 220MB/sec on SATA 3Gb/sec interfaces.

Just a matter of finding one that fits the box you're trying to stuff it in.

Paul

trs80 02-08-2010 04:58 AM

Re: 1TB Flash Mem to replace HD?

thank you! I will look at it closely.