Velocity Reviews

-   -   Drive for data (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t714232-drive-for-data.html)

Scott 02-07-2010 01:31 PM

Drive for data

I have two partitions for 2 OS. One of partition is for Windows 7 64-bit
Home Premium. I would like to create a D drive in this partition to store
data only. Currently software and data are stored on drive C. Do I need
additional software to create D drive or there is built-in utility to
accomplish it.

Thanks,

Scott

RCan 02-07-2010 01:49 PM

Re: Drive for data

Hi Scott,

build in disk management (Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management or diskpart)
can do several actions for you :
Create, Shrink, Extend, Delete....

Disk Management - General Overview
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../dd163558.aspx

Regards
Ramazan

Carlos 02-07-2010 03:11 PM

RE: Drive for data

Scott,
Windows 7 has a built-in utility.
Run diskmgmt.msc and you'll be there in a split second.
What you want to do is to shrink C: partition and then create a new D: in
the empty space.
Right click on on your C: partition (graphic on the right) and choose
"Shrink".
Follow the instructions from there on.
You may want to defrag C: first in order to leave enough space for the
shrinking.

James Kosin 02-07-2010 11:01 PM

Re: Drive for data

On 2/7/2010 8:31 AM, Scott wrote:
> I have two partitions for 2 OS. One of partition is for Windows 7 64-bit
> Home Premium. I would like to create a D drive in this partition to store
> data only. Currently software and data are stored on drive C. Do I need
> additional software to create D drive or there is built-in utility to
> accomplish it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

One other thing... If you are going to use the partition (drive) to
share data between the two operating systems, be sure to select a format
they all like.

Good Luck