Velocity Reviews

-   -   Instantiating black box module (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t713666-instantiating-black-box-module.html)

Dek 02-02-2010 01:47 PM

Instantiating black box module

Hi all,

I'm trying to instantiate a RAM using Block-Ram with Xilinx Core
Generator. I've succesfully create the Core, and simulated it with
Modelsim (using the .vhd file created by Core Generator). Now when I
try to synthesize my design with ISE project navigator I got this
warning:

line 130: Instantiating black box module <ram_128>.

should I explicitly add the ram_128.vhd file? Or, since my design
actually do synthesize, should I just ignore this warning?

Thanks all

Dek

joris 02-02-2010 02:36 PM

I think you should add the ram_128.vhd file!

mamu 02-03-2010 03:05 PM

The .vhd is only for simulation. The CoreGen tool has also created a .ngc wich is a pre-synthesized encrypted netlist for this core.

The ISE toolchain will look for the .ngc (it should be located in your project folder or where the macro_search_path variable points to) file and include it after the synthesis step.

So yes, you can ignore this warning.

Dek 02-03-2010 03:15 PM

Re: Instantiating black box module

On 3 Feb, 00:14, Brian Drummond <brian_drumm...@btconnect.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 05:47:58 -0800 (PST), Dek <daniele.deq...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hi all,

> >I'm trying to instantiate a RAM using Block-Ram with Xilinx Core
> >Generator. I've succesfully create the Core, and simulated it with
> >Modelsim (using the .vhd file created by Core Generator). Now when I
> >try to synthesize my design with ISE project navigator I got this
> >warning:

> >line 130: Instantiating black box module <ram_128>.

> >should I explicitly add the ram_128.vhd file? Or, since my design
> >actually do synthesize, should I just ignore this warning?

> At synthesis, notice (then ignore) the warning.
>
> At Translate, make sure it finds the implementation of ram_128 - e.g. look for a
> message "Loading module ram_128.ngc" or some such in the console or the .bld
> report file.
>
> If Translate can't find it: (a) move it into the project directory or (b) set
> the "core search path" option to point to the right directory.
>
> - Brian

Thanks Brian,

during Translate I had this message:

Applying constraints in "ipcore_dir/ram_128.ncf" to module
"ipcore_dir/ram_128.ngc"...

so it should be ok. I've asked it because I generated post place and
route simulation model and I tried to simulate it, but post layout
simulation differs from functional simulation. I thought the problem
was this of the blak box module, but if you confirm me that I can
ignore this warning I'll seek the problem somewhere else.

Thanks

Dek