Velocity Reviews

-   -   remove unused assemblies (VS2008) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t713644-remove-unused-assemblies-vs2008.html)

ton 02-02-2010 10:32 AM

remove unused assemblies (VS2008)

Hi,

microsoft claims there is a function to remove unused assemblies in VS2008
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7sfxafba.aspx

when I try to run this feature there is no "Click the Unused references
button to open the Unused References dialog box." which is mentioned in the
text.

I'm using VS2008 (VB)

anyone an idea?

Thanx

Ton

Andrew Morton 02-02-2010 10:46 AM

Re: remove unused assemblies (VS2008)

ton wrote:
> microsoft claims there is a function to remove unused assemblies in
> VS2008 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7sfxafba.aspx
>
> when I try to run this feature there is no "Click the Unused
> references button to open the Unused References dialog box." which is
> mentioned in the text.
>
> I'm using VS2008 (VB)
>
> anyone an idea?

Ummm.... here's where it is on my VS2008 Pro:
Project menu-> <project name> Properties... ->"References" section at the
left, "Unused References" is a button near the top-right of the pane.

--
Andrew

ton 02-02-2010 10:55 AM

Re: remove unused assemblies (VS2008)

OK, lets try to find it !
I do not have a project menu
I do have a right mouse menu on the projects name, which does NOT have a a
properties but does have a property pages
when clicking property pages I see the references without the desired
button.

where is your project menu is it the same as I m describing?

thanx

ton

ton 02-02-2010 11:29 AM

Re: remove unused assemblies (VS2008)

I think I've solved the problem:

the function works for projects not for websites

once I tried to do this for referenced projects like user controls and other
objects 7 classes I do have the property item, and the 4th item is
references and there is a unused reference... button

I've removed all unused references the reason was that my web.config file
used a lot of assemblies I thought these would be removed. This was not the
case, I finaly removed most of them and at the and kept only the 3
assemblies fior crystal reports (11.5). After running it worked fine.

So I still have a question? Why are these assemblies all in to the
web.config. Is this because the unused references from the other projects
and than got in? Buto will not be removed?
I do not understand how assemblies get into the web.config, may be someone
can explain.

thanx any how

ton

"ton" <ton@nospam.nl> schreef in bericht
news:b5a9c$4b6804b8$541ee3ce$22690@cache5.tilbu1.n b.home.nl...

Andrew Morton 02-02-2010 11:54 AM

ton wrote:
> OK, lets try to find it !
> I do not have a project menu
> I do have a right mouse menu on the projects name, which does NOT
> have a a properties but does have a property pages
> when clicking property pages I see the references without the desired
> button.
>
> where is your project menu is it the same as I m describing?

Right up in the standard menu bar:
File Edit View *Project* Build Debug Data Tools Window Help

I checked, and it does work with a web project. Maybe your menus are set up
differently? Or perhaps there's some difference from using New->Web Site and
using New->Project...->ASP.NET Web Application (I use the latter).

--
Andrew

Scott M. 02-02-2010 12:02 PM

Re: remove unused assemblies (VS2008)

Possibly because you started with a website and migrated to a web project.

If I just make a web project, everything works fine.

IMHO the "website" option is evil and doesn't reflect what Enterprise
applications actually look like.

-Scott

news:1286$4b680cb0$541ee3ce$610@cache5.tilbu1.nb.h ome.nl...