Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sorting, Grouping and Stacking (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t713615-sorting-grouping-and-stacking.html)

Fruit2O 02-02-2010 02:54 AM

Sorting, Grouping and Stacking

I want to Sort or Group a folder containing *.AVI files by the date the
movie clips were taken. I've tried to sort/group by all the date
options - and either they don't work or no information shows up in the
column. I've Googled and it seems that other people are having the
same problem. I wonder if anyone reading this has a solution.

PS: I don't know what Stacking is - I haven't gotten that far yet.

Archimedes' Lever 02-02-2010 05:58 AM

Re: Sorting, Grouping and Stacking

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 21:54:18 -0500, Fruit2O <jz137xww@cox.net> wrote:

>I want to Sort or Group a folder containing *.AVI files by the date the
>movie clips were taken. I've tried to sort/group by all the date
>options - and either they don't work or no information shows up in the
>column. I've Googled and it seems that other people are having the
>same problem. I wonder if anyone reading this has a solution.
>
>PS: I don't know what Stacking is - I haven't gotten that far yet.

Right click within any column header, and select "creation date" as one
of the visible headers.

Fruit2O 02-02-2010 02:06 PM

Re: Sorting, Grouping and Stacking

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 21:58:10 -0800, Archimedes' Lever
<OneBigLever@InfiniteSeries.Org> wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 21:54:18 -0500, Fruit2O <jz137xww@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>I want to Sort or Group a folder containing *.AVI files by the date the
>>movie clips were taken. I've tried to sort/group by all the date
>>options - and either they don't work or no information shows up in the
>>column. I've Googled and it seems that other people are having the
>>same problem. I wonder if anyone reading this has a solution.
>>
>>PS: I don't know what Stacking is - I haven't gotten that far yet.

> Right click within any column header, and select "creation date" as one
>of the visible headers.

Thanks, but there is no Creation Date. There is a Date Created and
I've tried that. Iy returns the current date. Wierd!!! Any other
suggestions?

Archimedes' Lever 02-02-2010 04:25 PM

Re: Sorting, Grouping and Stacking

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 21:54:18 -0500, Fruit2O <jz137xww@cox.net> wrote:

>>>I want to Sort or Group a folder containing *.AVI files by the date the
>>>movie clips were taken. I've tried to sort/group by all the date
>>>options - and either they don't work or no information shows up in the
>>>column. I've Googled and it seems that other people are having the
>>>same problem. I wonder if anyone reading this has a solution.
>>>
>>>PS: I don't know what Stacking is - I haven't gotten that far yet.

>> Right click within any column header, and select "creation date" as one
>>of the visible headers.

> Thanks, but there is no Creation Date. There is a Date Created and
> I've tried that. Iy returns the current date. Wierd!!! Any other
> suggestions?

You are too retarded to figure it out then. Kill yourself, retard.

Archimedes' Lever 02-02-2010 10:54 PM

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:06:03 -0500, Fruit2O <jz137xww@cox.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 21:58:10 -0800, Archimedes' Lever
><OneBigLever@InfiniteSeries.Org> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 21:54:18 -0500, Fruit2O <jz137xww@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I want to Sort or Group a folder containing *.AVI files by the date the
>>>movie clips were taken. I've tried to sort/group by all the date
>>>options - and either they don't work or no information shows up in the
>>>column. I've Googled and it seems that other people are having the
>>>same problem. I wonder if anyone reading this has a solution.
>>>
>>>PS: I don't know what Stacking is - I haven't gotten that far yet.

>> Right click within any column header, and select "creation date" as one
>>of the visible headers.

>Thanks, but there is no Creation Date. There is a Date Created and
>I've tried that. Iy returns the current date. Wierd!!! Any other
>suggestions?

You are using an NTFS file system? It keeps additional information
about files in their headers.

I do not know if those particulars are kept on FAT32 16 or other file
systems.

Archimedes' Lever 02-02-2010 10:57 PM

Re: Sorting, Grouping and Stacking

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 08:25:19 -0800, "Archimedes' Lever"
<OneBigLever@InfiniteSeries.Org> wrote:

>>> Right click within any column header, and select "creation date" as one
>>>of the visible headers.

>> Thanks, but there is no Creation Date. There is a Date Created and
>> I've tried that. Iy returns the current date. Wierd!!! Any other
>> suggestions?

>You are too retarded to figure it out then. Kill yourself, retard.

Forgerd post headers.

Nice try, Nederlander Retard.

Archimedes' Lever 02-02-2010 11:06 PM

Re: Sorting, Grouping and Stacking

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:11:46 -0800, "CLicker@invalid.org" <CLicker>
wrote:

>On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 08:25:19 -0800, "Archimedes' Lever"
><OneBigLever@InfiniteSeries.Org> wrote:

>>> Thanks, but there is no Creation Date. There is a Date Created and
>>> I've tried that. Iy returns the current date. Wierd!!! Any other
>>> suggestions?

>>You are too retarded to figure it out then. Kill yourself, retard.

>Since you didn't seem to understand the OP's question, your first
>answer was not helpful and your second . . . well, more useless than
>the first.

Try looking at the post headers. I did not author the "second" reply.

Come back when you understand the fact that it was a forged post.
You likely do not even know this is Usenet, and think it is some google
thing or some other such uninformed mindset.

>Date taken would only be known to the camera.

You are an idiot, beside the fact that you do not know how to read news
article headers.

> If that info was
>captured when transferred to the PC, it *might* be in the extended
>header info of the .AVI files.

Not true. Any good camera incorporates date code info either in the
image file name or in the image file header, not that you would know what
that is.

> If the OP is using Vista or Windows 7,
>the AVI data *might* be in the optional column, "date taken."

You're an idiot. Where do you think such data is "kept"?

It ain't Windows, I'll clue ya.

> If the
>person who imported the videos used an import program which supports
>it, he/she might have specified that "date taken" be placed in the
>folder/file name, apparently that was not the case.

There are many options, and you are obviously unfamiliar with more than
just that fact.

>As the OP has already learned, "date created" refers to when the OS
>became aware of the file and is sometimes replaced by "date copied"

Not true, idiot.

Even your claim of file system knowledge is off the mark.

>because MS insists on outsourcing programming tasks to barely
>educated, poorly paid thirdworlders.

You're a retard. Now it is perfectly clear why you were too stupid to
read the headers to see that it was not me that made the reply which you
objected to.

You are truly "lost".

> Hmmmm, need a job? ;-0)

You do not have enough money on a per year basis, much less the long
term stability I demand.

Fruit2O 02-08-2010 02:54 AM

Re: Sorting, Grouping and Stacking

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 14:54:35 -0800, Archimedes' Lever
<OneBigLever@InfiniteSeries.Org> wrote:

>On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:06:03 -0500, Fruit2O <jz137xww@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 21:58:10 -0800, Archimedes' Lever
>><OneBigLever@InfiniteSeries.Org> wrote:

>>> Right click within any column header, and select "creation date" as one
>>>of the visible headers.

>>Thanks, but there is no Creation Date. There is a Date Created and
>>I've tried that. Iy returns the current date. Wierd!!! Any other
>>suggestions?

> You are using an NTFS file system? It keeps additional information
>about files in their headers.
>
> I do not know if those particulars are kept on FAT32 16 or other file
>systems.

I am using an NTFS file format. The camera is an Olympus (not a cheap
camera). I don't have the model handy (camera is in Texas and I am in
Rhode Island). After all this, I still need a way to Sort/Group/Stack
by the date the film clip was taken. The camera is a still camera but
has the ability to take relatively short video clips in AVI format.

Archimedes' Lever 02-08-2010 03:51 AM

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 21:54:00 -0500, Fruit2O <jz137xww@cox.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 14:54:35 -0800, Archimedes' Lever
><OneBigLever@InfiniteSeries.Org> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:06:03 -0500, Fruit2O <jz137xww@cox.net> wrote:

>>>Thanks, but there is no Creation Date. There is a Date Created and
>>>I've tried that. Iy returns the current date. Wierd!!! Any other
>>>suggestions?

>> You are using an NTFS file system? It keeps additional information
>>about files in their headers.
>>
>> I do not know if those particulars are kept on FAT32 16 or other file
>>systems.

>I am using an NTFS file format. The camera is an Olympus (not a cheap
>camera). I don't have the model handy (camera is in Texas and I am in
>Rhode Island). After all this, I still need a way to Sort/Group/Stack
>by the date the film clip was taken. The camera is a still camera but
>has the ability to take relatively short video clips in AVI format.

That's weird because my Olympus cameras (both) encode date info in the
file name, and the stick is formatted DOS, so there is ALWAYS going to be
a creation date, and it should always be in chrono order with respect to
the photos.

Maybe the copy sequence is modifying the files as the copy takes place.

five256@NOwhere.com 02-08-2010 04:02 AM

Re: Sorting, Grouping and Stacking

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 19:51:57 -0800, Archimedes' Lever
<OneBigLever@InfiniteSeries.Org> wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 21:54:00 -0500, Fruit2O <jz137xww@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 14:54:35 -0800, Archimedes' Lever
>><OneBigLever@InfiniteSeries.Org> wrote:

>>> You are using an NTFS file system? It keeps additional information
>>>about files in their headers.
>>>
>>> I do not know if those particulars are kept on FAT32 16 or other file
>>>systems.

>>I am using an NTFS file format. The camera is an Olympus (not a cheap
>>camera). I don't have the model handy (camera is in Texas and I am in
>>Rhode Island). After all this, I still need a way to Sort/Group/Stack
>>by the date the film clip was taken. The camera is a still camera but
>>has the ability to take relatively short video clips in AVI format.

> That's weird because my Olympus cameras (both) encode date info in the
>file name, and the stick is formatted DOS, so there is ALWAYS going to be
>a creation date, and it should always be in chrono order with respect to
>the photos.
>
> Maybe the copy sequence is modifying the files as the copy takes place.

The only date in the extended data that "might" be useful is the Date
Modified. I haven't had time to test it out yet. Besides, if I rotate
a particular video clip, it probably counts as a modification.

The file header has a Date Created, Date Modified and Date Accessed.
Maybe one of these dates will work. Only problem is: I can't sort by
these attributes - or can I?