Velocity Reviews

-   -   Got network working but need access to delete files.... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t712981-got-network-working-but-need-access-to-delete-files.html)

J Tinsby 01-26-2010 11:21 PM

Got network working but need access to delete files....

Hello,

I got my wireless network working and I can share files between the
two machines, one running XP Pro the other XP Home.

I sent some files from the XP Home machine to the Pro, that worked
fine but now I can't delete the files on the Home machine. I went into
safe mode and looked at getting permission as admin to delete these
files ( thye show up with an icon that looks like it's connected to a
pipe, I assume that's the network).

I haven't a clue how to take over permission of these files even after
having read the MS help files on the subject.. 'parent | child' ACE
etc. might as well be Greek to me :(

Is there a guide on the 'net somewhere that can walk me through taking
over these files so I can delete them?

Regards,

J Tinsby

Lem 01-27-2010 12:20 AM

Re: Got network working but need access to delete files....

J Tinsby wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I got my wireless network working and I can share files between the
> two machines, one running XP Pro the other XP Home.
>
> I sent some files from the XP Home machine to the Pro, that worked
> fine but now I can't delete the files on the Home machine. I went into
> safe mode and looked at getting permission as admin to delete these
> files ( thye show up with an icon that looks like it's connected to a
> pipe, I assume that's the network).
>
> I haven't a clue how to take over permission of these files even after
> having read the MS help files on the subject.. 'parent | child' ACE
> etc. might as well be Greek to me :(
>
> Is there a guide on the 'net somewhere that can walk me through taking
> over these files so I can delete them?
>
> Regards,
>
> J Tinsby

Please clarify: you *copied* somefile.txt from PC A to PC B and now you
want to delete it from PC A?
What happens when you try to delete it on PC A? Please quote any error
message in full.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

John 01-27-2010 12:48 AM

"Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message
>> I sent some files from the XP Home machine to the Pro, that worked
>> fine but now I can't delete the files on the Home machine. I went into
>> safe mode and looked at getting permission as admin to delete these
>> files ( thye show up with an icon that looks like it's connected to a
>> pipe, I assume that's the network).
>>

> Please clarify: you *copied* somefile.txt from PC A to PC B and now you
> want to delete it from PC A?
> What happens when you try to delete it on PC A? Please quote any error
> message in full.

I wonder why OP mentioned "wireless" AND "networking" if the problem is just
file permission in a single PC.

Jack [MVP-Networking] 01-27-2010 12:52 AM

Re: Got network working but need access to delete files....

Hi
It depends on what application you use to Copy the Files.
In some programs Copy means putting an access icon on the destination
computer but Not actually copying the files.
Make sure that you use Copy to, rather then just Copy, and then check the
destination computer that file indeed is copied.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

J Tinsby 01-27-2010 04:34 PM

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:20:27 -0500, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:

>Please clarify: you *copied* somefile.txt from PC A to PC B and now you
>want to delete it from PC A?
>What happens when you try to delete it on PC A? Please quote any error
>message in full.

It says: Cannot delete file sample.txt Access Denied
Make sure file is not in use or is not write protected and that the
file is not currently in use.

Thank you,

J T