Velocity Reviews

-   -   Phonebook software? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t712215-phonebook-software.html)

~misfit~ 01-19-2010 02:23 AM

Phonebook software?

I'm looking for something really simple where I can record all those
hard-to-find phone numbers like the Ministry of Health's 0800 number to
check if Special Authority numbers for medications that need them have been
granted. (It took me three days of calling every MoH 0800 number I could
find and talking to ~25 people before I was finally given the right one by
my pharmacist.)

I mean, I wrote it in my tatty old address / phone book but there must be a
simple bit of software that will do it for me and that I can back up (I'd be
stuffed if I lost that book). I just searched for freeware phone / contacts
software and got frustrated with either dead links or links to paid
software.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can help...

TIA.
--
Shaun.

Richard 01-19-2010 04:16 AM

Re: Phonebook software?

~misfit~ wrote:
> I'm looking for something really simple where I can record all those
> hard-to-find phone numbers like the Ministry of Health's 0800 number to
> check if Special Authority numbers for medications that need them have been
> granted. (It took me three days of calling every MoH 0800 number I could
> find and talking to ~25 people before I was finally given the right one by
> my pharmacist.)
>
> I mean, I wrote it in my tatty old address / phone book but there must be a
> simple bit of software that will do it for me and that I can back up (I'd be
> stuffed if I lost that book). I just searched for freeware phone / contacts
> software and got frustrated with either dead links or links to paid
> software.

Well its not free, but I use outlook since it syncs to my phone.

Have you tried evolution? Also I think there are some PIM addons for
thunderbird as well

~misfit~ 01-19-2010 05:54 AM

Re: Phonebook software?

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> I'm looking for something really simple where I can record all those
>> hard-to-find phone numbers like the Ministry of Health's 0800 number
>> to check if Special Authority numbers for medications that need them
>> have been granted. (It took me three days of calling every MoH 0800
>> number I could find and talking to ~25 people before I was finally
>> given the right one by my pharmacist.)
>>
>> I mean, I wrote it in my tatty old address / phone book but there
>> must be a simple bit of software that will do it for me and that I
>> can back up (I'd be stuffed if I lost that book). I just searched
>> for freeware phone / contacts software and got frustrated with
>> either dead links or links to paid software.

> Well its not free, but I use outlook since it syncs to my phone.

I don't currently have Outlook.

> Have you tried evolution? Also I think there are some PIM addons for
> thunderbird as well

I haven't tried Evolution no. I have Nokia software that syncs with my cell
but I don't want all these numbers on my, errr, 'affordable' cell phone as
it's memory-limited.

It'd be nice to just have a little, perhaps 1MB app that mimics a phone book
or address book. Is that too much to ask?

Bloody hell! I just thought I should maybe look at Evolution. It's a 105MB
download! Probably needs a C2D and 3GB RAM too.

I guess I'll keep writing in my book. Hmmm, I wonder if anyone's made a
contacts manager template for Open Office? I already have that installed.
I'll search if I'm able to after mowing the lawn.
--
Cheers,
Shaun.

John 01-19-2010 06:10 AM

Re: Phonebook software?

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:23:59 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> I'm looking for something really simple where I can record all those
> hard-to-find phone numbers like the Ministry of Health's 0800 number to
> check if Special Authority numbers for medications that need them have been
> granted. (It took me three days of calling every MoH 0800 number I could
> find and talking to ~25 people before I was finally given the right one by
> my pharmacist.)
>
> I mean, I wrote it in my tatty old address / phone book but there must be a
> simple bit of software that will do it for me and that I can back up (I'd be
> stuffed if I lost that book). I just searched for freeware phone / contacts
> software and got frustrated with either dead links or links to paid
> software.
>
> I'd appreciate it if anyone can help...
>
> TIA.

You could try this free software;
http://www.tolon.co.uk/software/notekeeper/

I use it to keep notes for just about everything.

Enkidu 01-19-2010 07:02 AM

Re: Phonebook software?

~misfit~ wrote:
> I'm looking for something really simple where I can record all those
> hard-to-find phone numbers like the Ministry of Health's 0800 number
> to check if Special Authority numbers for medications that need them
> have been granted. (It took me three days of calling every MoH 0800
> number I could find and talking to ~25 people before I was finally
> given the right one by my pharmacist.)
>
> I mean, I wrote it in my tatty old address / phone book but there
> must be a simple bit of software that will do it for me and that I
> can back up (I'd be stuffed if I lost that book). I just searched for
> freeware phone / contacts software and got frustrated with either
> dead links or links to paid software.

What's wrong with the address books that come with the likes of
Thunderbird? I'm sure the other mail clients have something similar.

Cheers,

Cliff

~misfit~ 01-19-2010 08:33 AM

Re: Phonebook software?

Somewhere on teh intarwebs John wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:23:59 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for something really simple where I can record all those
>> hard-to-find phone numbers like the Ministry of Health's 0800 number
>> to check if Special Authority numbers for medications that need them
>> have been granted. (It took me three days of calling every MoH 0800
>> number I could find and talking to ~25 people before I was finally
>> given the right one by my pharmacist.)
>>
>> I mean, I wrote it in my tatty old address / phone book but there
>> must be a simple bit of software that will do it for me and that I
>> can back up (I'd be stuffed if I lost that book). I just searched
>> for freeware phone / contacts software and got frustrated with
>> either dead links or links to paid software.
>>
>> I'd appreciate it if anyone can help...
>>
>> TIA.

> You could try this free software;
> http://www.tolon.co.uk/software/notekeeper/
>
> I use it to keep notes for just about everything.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it. Nice small download at least.
--
Cheers,
Shaun.

~misfit~ 01-19-2010 08:35 AM

Re: Phonebook software?

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Enkidu wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> I'm looking for something really simple where I can record all those
>> hard-to-find phone numbers like the Ministry of Health's 0800 number
>> to check if Special Authority numbers for medications that need them
>> have been granted. (It took me three days of calling every MoH 0800
>> number I could find and talking to ~25 people before I was finally
>> given the right one by my pharmacist.)
>>
>> I mean, I wrote it in my tatty old address / phone book but there
>> must be a simple bit of software that will do it for me and that I
>> can back up (I'd be stuffed if I lost that book). I just searched for
>> freeware phone / contacts software and got frustrated with either
>> dead links or links to paid software.
>>

> What's wrong with the address books that come with the likes of
> Thunderbird? I'm sure the other mail clients have something similar.

I use Calypso for email and it was abandonware when I started using it 8
years ago. It does have a rudimentary address book but I've moved my inbox
from computer to computer for 8 years now and it's massive to back up. I
keep saying I'll get around to deleting some old emails (and move some of
the family pics that are there as attachments) but whenever I do I never
seem to be able to keep at it for long....

I'm just looking for something small and light. <shrug> Seems big and
integrated is the way most software's gone. I'll take a look at what John
recommended.
--
Cheers,
Shaun.