Velocity Reviews

-   -   Please help urgently. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t71217-please-help-urgently.html)

Steven 01-22-2004 01:11 PM

Please help urgently.

Hi all

My problem is a little lengthy. But please help me. In my application,
ADO.NET DataSet object is not getting constructed in the Web Service Web

Method called by the Windows Application passing an ADO.NET DataSet Object
as a parameter to the Web Method in Web Service

Debugging using the Soap Extensions, clearly shows that the Serialized
DataSet is passed to the Web Service, but the Web Service Web Method is not
able to construct the ADO.NET DataSet from the Serialized Data.

I am hereby giving a brief overview of what I am doing.

We're developing a WindowsForms based distributed application. All our

WindowsForms clients connect to the business components layers using Web

Service. Therefore, the front-end only talks to the Web Service and Web

Service calls the Business and Data Layer components. Since the Web Service

Layer acts as a gateway between the WindowsForms clients and the business

components, We pass all the data using DataSets.

Here is the code snippet,

private void LoadGroup(string ticker)

{

//We're creating an object of a stronly typed

DataSet

EquityPeerCriteriaSet equityPeerCriteriaSet = new

EquityPeerCriteriaSet();

//We're setting the properties of the strongly typed

DataSet

equityPeerCriteriaSet.CriteriaType ="Ticker";

equityPeerCriteriaSet.CriteriaValue =m_ticker;

//We're creating the Web Service's proxy object

WebReferences.EquityPeerListService.EquityPeerList MgmtService

equityPeerListService= new

WebReferences.EquityPeerListService.EquityPeerList MgmtService();

//We're calling the web method and passing the

DataSet from

Dataset DspeerListsSet =

equityPeerListService.GetPeerList(equityPeerCriter iaSet);

}

Our Web Method looks like this,

[WebMethod]

[TraceExtension]

public DataSet GetPeerList(DataSet dsEquityPeerCriteriaSet)

{

try

{

//Creating an object type of the Business

Layer

EquityPeerListManager equityPeerListManager

=new EquityPeerListManager();

return peerListsSet.DataSet;

}

catch(Exception ex)

{

SoapException Se = new SoapException

(ex.Message,SoapException.ClientFaultCode,ex.Inner Exception);

throw Se;

}

}

The problem is that, the DataSet object comes as undefined when entering the

Web Method. We've also created a SOAP Extension class and debugged the SOAP

message chain. The data is present in both

SoapMessageStage.BeforeDeserialize and SoapMessageStage.AfterDeserialize

stages and we're able to see the data in the log file.

This behavior looks very strange. If you can provide a pointer, that would

help us a lot.

Thanks and appreciate your response.

Thanks again.

Alvin Bruney 01-24-2004 10:46 PM