Velocity Reviews

-   -   XP64 Pro - RPC Error/Other Issues after Spyware attack (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t711657-xp64-pro-rpc-error-other-issues-after-spyware-attack.html)

Gary S 01-13-2010 01:46 PM

XP64 Pro - RPC Error/Other Issues after Spyware attack

Hello:
I am not using my home PC thanks to a nasty incident. I managed to click on
a pop-up instead of the news link I wanted... Talk about timing. Well Avast
(Registered Home User) prevented total damage, but I am left with some bad
issues:

- Nag pop-ups (new demo Avast download with full scan/reboot fixed that)
- No Internet (I managed to correct that - removed proxy server tag)
- No Task Manager: Disabled by administrator (I am the Admin - Not fixed)
- No System Restore: Group policy changed by administrator (not me! Not Fixed)
- Probably other system tools are affected too! Just haven't tried others yet.
- Avast has a RPC Error. Tried loading the X64 RPC patch from Microsoft, but
I get an error telling me the PC system is incompatible (??).

Not sure what to do now. I did create a new user with admin rights. After
logging in as that user, I get Task Manager, but I did not goof with System
Restore. However, the new user still gets the RPC error from AVAST. I would
like to delete AVAST and re-install, but I would prefer to wait and see if
this RPC error can be rectified "before" I delete/re-install. BTW, I may have
the registered version and the demo on-board. I know the demo runs on the
scans. The blue AVAST system tray icon has a red hash mark in it. Maybe it
pertains to the old registered version?? Any suggestions?

As far as my personal user logon, I guess I could delete myself via the new
admin and then create my typical login again. Any suggestions what to save
from my profile other than my favs?

Man, I hate these spyware people! The system was so stable and rock solid
that I guess you tend to think it can't happen. Any help to get me back as
admin without and RPC error would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Gary

Charlie Russel - MVP 01-13-2010 03:42 PM

Re: XP64 Pro - RPC Error/Other Issues after Spyware attack

You might try MalwareBytes.org before you trash the system and start over.
I've been pretty impressed with their cleanup tool. But ultimately, after
something like this, I honestly think a complete wipe and rebuild is the
best and safest if there are any lingering doubts or issues.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

SomeOldGuy 01-24-2010 08:02 PM

Re: XP64 Pro - RPC Error/Other Issues after Spyware attack

Malwarebytes is usually pretty good, though the free version lacks in some
regards.

If you can get to a clean machine and download the components of the Trend
Micro "Sysclean" package, it will clean your computer for you. It's funny (to
me) that the Sysclean package is free, and noted as being specifically for
people who are NOT customers of Trend Micro......but it is BETTER than the
paid versions of Trend Micro security software.

Look down the page to where it says "If you are not a Trend Micro customer..."

Be sure to read the "readme" file. Sysclean is not what I would call "user
friendly", but I have never yet had a customer with a computer that it could
not clean properly. It really is impressive.

Gary S 01-25-2010 02:11 PM

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> You might try MalwareBytes.org before you trash the system and start over.
> I've been pretty impressed with their cleanup tool. But ultimately, after
> something like this, I honestly think a complete wipe and rebuild is the
> best and safest if there are any lingering doubts or issues.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>

> "Gary S" <Gary S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello:
> > I am not using my home PC thanks to a nasty incident. I managed to click
> > on
> > a pop-up instead of the news link I wanted... Talk about timing. Well
> > Avast
> > (Registered Home User) prevented total damage, but I am left with some bad
> > issues:
> >
> > - Nag pop-ups (new demo Avast download with full scan/reboot fixed that)
> > - No Internet (I managed to correct that - removed proxy server tag)
> > - No Task Manager: Disabled by administrator (I am the Admin - Not fixed)
> > - No System Restore: Group policy changed by administrator (not me! Not
> > Fixed)
> > - Probably other system tools are affected too! Just haven't tried others
> > yet.
> > - Avast has a RPC Error. Tried loading the X64 RPC patch from Microsoft,
> > but
> > I get an error telling me the PC system is incompatible (??).
> >
> > Not sure what to do now. I did create a new user with admin rights. After
> > logging in as that user, I get Task Manager, but I did not goof with
> > System
> > Restore. However, the new user still gets the RPC error from AVAST. I
> > would
> > like to delete AVAST and re-install, but I would prefer to wait and see if
> > this RPC error can be rectified "before" I delete/re-install. BTW, I may
> > have
> > the registered version and the demo on-board. I know the demo runs on the
> > scans. The blue AVAST system tray icon has a red hash mark in it. Maybe it
> > pertains to the old registered version?? Any suggestions?
> >
> > As far as my personal user logon, I guess I could delete myself via the
> > new
> > admin and then create my typical login again. Any suggestions what to save
> > from my profile other than my favs?
> >
> > Man, I hate these spyware people! The system was so stable and rock solid
> > that I guess you tend to think it can't happen. Any help to get me back as
> > admin without and RPC error would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in Advance,
> > Gary

> .

Charlie and Some Old Guy:
Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated! Well in the end, after a week of
unsuccessful troubleshooting, I re-built the OS from scratch. Lost some of my
email, contacts and some other stuff, but it was a necessary evil I guess.
(Note to self, backup up these more often). All in all, after 5 years of
motoring with this XP64 install, I can't complain. It was about time to clean
the junk out. Bad part is not remembering how to do it! I think I will type
up my notes into logical steps so this old brain can function without the
extra load...

On a sidebar, is there a extensive/complete list of KB's along with SP2 that
can be slipstreamed together? I was reading about this slipstreaming and it
has my interest. From what I understand it appears to merge the versions
together. My original XP64 install disk is fine, but I guess I should make a
backup copy of that too. What would be nice is to avoid all the update time
involved getting to SP2 with it's own set of updates. Also as I was custom
updating, I noted the hardware, software, and Hi Priority updates for my
machine. Are these possible for addition to a slipstream CD? If so, is there
a particular order??

Thanks again!

Gary S.

Charlie Russel - MVP 01-25-2010 02:57 PM

Re: XP64 Pro - RPC Error/Other Issues after Spyware attack

It's certainly possible to slipstream, but here's a better suggestion.
You've got a clean system right now. Apply all current updates, configure
your mail and contacts, etc. Install your core software. Now, before you
lose that clean system, pull a full image backup with your image software of
choice. (I generally used to use Acronis for this.) Now, if you ever need to
rebuild your system you can simply restore that image.