Velocity Reviews

-   -   Network adapter (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t711457-network-adapter.html)

naguaramipana 01-11-2010 03:49 PM

Network adapter

Hi gurus

I have a problem and need your help very bad.

Here is the problem

I connect my laptop to the network using cat cable, I see when the
switch port lights up once the cable is connected to my computer, I
see light blinking on the switch port but for some reason I CANT do
the following

a) I cant go out using the internet
b) I cant ping other computers
C) The laptop cant be ping from other computers

is like nothing is coming in or out

I have done the following

Change the cable
Release and renew with no avail
restart computer with "last known"
Stop anti-virus(never was a problem before)

Any help I will appreciated on how to troubleshoot this problem

Thanks a bunch gurus

OS Windows XP pro SP3
brand : Sager

Desk Rabbit 01-11-2010 04:42 PM

Re: Network adapter

On 11/01/2010 15:49, naguaramipana wrote:
> Hi gurus
>
> I have a problem and need your help very bad.
>
> Here is the problem
>
> I connect my laptop to the network using cat cable, I see when the
> switch port lights up once the cable is connected to my computer, I
> see light blinking on the switch port but for some reason I CANT do
> the following
>
> a) I cant go out using the internet
> b) I cant ping other computers
> C) The laptop cant be ping from other computers
>

> is like nothing is coming in or out
>

> I have done the following
>
> Change the cable
> Release and renew with no avail
> restart computer with "last known"
> Stop anti-virus(never was a problem before)
>

> Any help I will appreciated on how to troubleshoot this problem
>
> Thanks a bunch gurus
>
> OS Windows XP pro SP3
> brand : Sager

Can you ping your router by IP address?
Run ipconfig /all and post the response.

why? 01-11-2010 05:59 PM

Re: Network adapter

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 07:49:57 -0800 (PST), naguaramipana wrote:

>Hi gurus
>
>I have a problem and need your help very bad.
>
>Here is the problem

New system, old system it was working before something changed?

> I connect my laptop to the network using cat cable, I see when the

I would prefer an Ethernet cable RJ-45 ends and Cat5e/6, cat on it's own
doesn't work so well, they object a lot.

>switch port lights up once the cable is connected to my computer, I

The lights are only to show the cable is connected, they don't show that
TCP/IP or other required settings are correct.

>see light blinking on the switch port but for some reason I CANT do
>the following
>
> a) I cant go out using the internet

Leave to to last.
Assuming other computers are okay. At least 1 you posted from. They can
all ping each other.

> b) I cant ping other computers

How? By IP address or name.
You have a valid IP address and the gateway other settings from the
output of

ipconfig/all

are the same as a working PC.

See below.

> C) The laptop cant be ping from other computers

For the IP address you do get, can you ping it?

Can you ping 127.0.0.1?

>is like nothing is coming in or out
>

>I have done the following
>
> Change the cable
> Release and renew with no avail

Something must have happened?
What IP address do you get?

A correct address?
Something like 169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255
Maybe even 0.0.0.0

> restart computer with "last known"

Might be better off with a last restore point, if it's less than a day
or 2 old. The 'Last Known' good configs can older.

> Stop anti-virus(never was a problem before)

What AV? Have you tried to uninstall it?

You didn't mention any firewall app.

>Any help I will appreciated on how to troubleshoot this problem
>
>Thanks a bunch gurus
>
>OS Windows XP pro SP3
>brand : Sager

Me