Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: few linux laptop problems... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t711089-re-few-linux-laptop-problems.html)

peterwn 01-08-2010 08:17 AM

On Jan 8, 4:49*pm, starlyte <say...@wetafx.co.nz> wrote:
> i have a couple of problems with my linux laptop

This sounds like the trolling that goes on in comp.os.linux.advocacy .
There seem to be a small hard core of people (flatfish and his mates)
who seem to have no end of trouble with Linux. They have suffered
Linux purgatory for years. They can only be masochists or anti-Linux
trolls (no doubt M$ or M$ partners' employees). Otherwise they would
have stuck to Windows.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 01-08-2010 10:38 PM

Re: few linux laptop problems...

In message <25f84b90-9ce7-41d6-be34-
a69e5680c960@22g2000yqr.googlegroups.com>, peterwn wrote:

> This sounds like the trolling that goes on in comp.os.linux.advocacy .

Not to me. I’m prepared to take descriptions of problems at face value, at
least to start with.

> There seem to be a small hard core of people (flatfish and his mates)
> who seem to have no end of trouble with Linux.

We have some like that here, but they make themselves pretty obvious: they
can’t help slagging off the system right from the word go. Makes it easy to
shun them.

~misfit~ 01-11-2010 12:43 AM

Somewhere on teh intarwebs starlyte wrote:
> On Jan 8, 9:17 pm, peterwn <pmiln...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 8, 4:49 pm, starlyte <say...@wetafx.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> i have a couple of problems with my linux laptop

>> This sounds like the trolling that goes on in comp.os.linux.advocacy
>> . There seem to be a small hard core of people (flatfish and his
>> mates) who seem to have no end of trouble with Linux. They have
>> suffered Linux purgatory for years. They can only be masochists or
>> anti-Linux trolls (no doubt M$ or M$ partners' employees). Otherwise
>> they would have stuck to Windows.

> i am not a troll, nor am i anti linux. granted im not a fan of Mac OS,
> But alot of people are. Its just not my cup of tea
> i have been brought up using windows, at work there is a mixture of
> windows, linux, mac and even some irix machines
>
> im using basically to save money.

[snip]

Yet in your reply to Lodi you wrote:

> Thanks for your helpful response.
> money is not an issue, i do like the idea of "free and open source"

You can't have it both ways.
--
Shaun.

Sailor Sam 01-11-2010 02:59 AM

~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs starlyte wrote:

>>> This sounds like the trolling that goes on in comp.os.linux.advocacy
>>> . There seem to be a small hard core of people (flatfish and his
>>> mates) who seem to have no end of trouble with Linux. They have
>>> suffered Linux purgatory for years. They can only be masochists or
>>> anti-Linux trolls (no doubt M$ or M$ partners' employees). Otherwise
>>> they would have stuck to Windows.

>> i am not a troll, nor am i anti linux. granted im not a fan of Mac OS,
>> But alot of people are. Its just not my cup of tea
>> i have been brought up using windows, at work there is a mixture of
>> windows, linux, mac and even some irix machines
>>
>> im using basically to save money.

> [snip]
>
> Yet in your reply to Lodi you wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your helpful response.
>> money is not an issue, i do like the idea of "free and open source"

> You can't have it both ways.

A fool and his money.

Enkidu 01-11-2010 03:39 AM

~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs starlyte wrote:

>>> This sounds like the trolling that goes on in comp.os.linux.advocacy
>>> . There seem to be a small hard core of people (flatfish and his
>>> mates) who seem to have no end of trouble with Linux. They have
>>> suffered Linux purgatory for years. They can only be masochists or
>>> anti-Linux trolls (no doubt M$ or M$ partners' employees). Otherwise
>>> they would have stuck to Windows.

>> i am not a troll, nor am i anti linux. granted im not a fan of Mac OS,
>> But alot of people are. Its just not my cup of tea
>> i have been brought up using windows, at work there is a mixture of
>> windows, linux, mac and even some irix machines
>>
>> im using basically to save money.

> [snip]
>
> Yet in your reply to Lodi you wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your helpful response.
>> money is not an issue, i do like the idea of "free and open source"

> You can't have it both ways.

Of course he can. "Like" is not the same as "Insist on".

Cheers,

Cliff

~misfit~ 01-11-2010 07:52 AM

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Allistar wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs starlyte wrote:

>>> i am not a troll, nor am i anti linux. granted im not a fan of Mac
>>> OS, But alot of people are. Its just not my cup of tea
>>> i have been brought up using windows, at work there is a mixture of
>>> windows, linux, mac and even some irix machines
>>>
>>> im using basically to save money.

>> [snip]
>>
>> Yet in your reply to Lodi you wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for your helpful response.
>>> money is not an issue, i do like the idea of "free and open source"

>> You can't have it both ways.

> "Free" doesn't necessarily refer to monetary cost.

Did you only look at the last few words? In both quotes "money" was
specifically mentioned. If 'money' isn't 'monetary' then I'm the sugar-plum
faerie.
--
Shaun.

~misfit~ 01-11-2010 08:08 AM

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Enkidu wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs starlyte wrote:

>>> i am not a troll, nor am i anti linux. granted im not a fan of Mac
>>> OS, But alot of people are. Its just not my cup of tea
>>> i have been brought up using windows, at work there is a mixture of
>>> windows, linux, mac and even some irix machines
>>>
>>> im using basically to save money.

>> [snip]
>>
>> Yet in your reply to Lodi you wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for your helpful response.
>>> money is not an issue, i do like the idea of "free and open source"

>> You can't have it both ways.
>>

> Of course he can. "Like" is not the same as "Insist on".

C'mon Cliffie, you can read better than that. He said he likes 'the idea of
"free and open source"'. Nowhere was 'like' used to refer to saving money or
the cost of the OS.

To simplify, the relevant bits are:

a) "im using basically to save money"

b) "money is not an issue"

Two statements that directly contradict each other.
--
Cheers,
Shaun.