Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is WebServices ok to send files (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t710902-is-webservices-ok-to-send-files.html)

Dan 01-06-2010 06:25 PM

Is WebServices ok to send files

Hi Gurus,
I need some advice.

We needed to send a file from a client to server once a day. Sometimes file
size could be around 100MB.
So we added a new routine to our existing Web Service.
Then created a windows service to send a file whenever we want.
Everything is working good so far.

Is this a good approach doing it or there is any other better way doing
this.
Also wanted to know what is the fastest way to send files using WEB.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Dan.

Scott M. 01-06-2010 07:23 PM

Re: Is WebServices ok to send files

"Dan" <Dan@nospaml.com> wrote in message
> Hi Gurus,
> I need some advice.
>
> We needed to send a file from a client to server once a day. Sometimes
> file size could be around 100MB.
> So we added a new routine to our existing Web Service.
> Then created a windows service to send a file whenever we want.
> Everything is working good so far.
>
> Is this a good approach doing it or there is any other better way doing
> this.
> Also wanted to know what is the fastest way to send files using WEB.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
> Dan.

If you are talking about sending an actual file (and not just some data),
then this may not be the best approach, especially when there is 100MB to
send!

XML Web Services is, first and foremost, an architecture to connect
disparite systems to each other over the HTTP protocol (the Internet/ an
intranet). In order for this to work, the data must be serialized and then
deserialized, which doesn't make XML Web Services the most efficient answer
out there, just an very "open" solution.

If you have to send your file over the web, can't use send it via the FTP
protocol, from an FTP server? This would be the more efficent approach.

-Scott

Mr. Arnold 01-07-2010 04:48 AM

Dan wrote:
> Hi Gurus,
> I need some advice.
>
> We needed to send a file from a client to server once a day. Sometimes file
> size could be around 100MB.

I'll assume this file is XML.

> So we added a new routine to our existing Web Service.
> Then created a windows service to send a file whenever we want.
> Everything is working good so far.

OK

> Is this a good approach doing it or there is any other better way doing
> this.

You could create a Console program to do the same thing and run it at
the command prompt.

> Also wanted to know what is the fastest way to send files using WEB.

What you're doing.

Mr. Arnold 01-07-2010 04:49 AM

Dan wrote:
> Hi Gurus,
> I need some advice.
>
> We needed to send a file from a client to server once a day. Sometimes file
> size could be around 100MB.
> So we added a new routine to our existing Web Service.
> Then created a windows service to send a file whenever we want.
> Everything is working good so far.
>
> Is this a good approach doing it or there is any other better way doing
> this.
> Also wanted to know what is the fastest way to send files using WEB.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
> Dan.

Oh, one other thing you can compress and decompress the data. If it's
compressed it will go over the wire faster.

Dan 01-07-2010 03:01 PM

Re: Is WebServices ok to send files

This file is a database backup which is zipped.
I'll try with FTP and see the performance.

Thanks, Dan