Velocity Reviews

-   -   Win7 desktop wireless connection to Vista laptop (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t710894-win7-desktop-wireless-connection-to-vista-laptop.html)

Glory 01-06-2010 05:39 PM

Win7 desktop wireless connection to Vista laptop

I have a desktop running Windows 7 and a laptop running Vista.

So far, the laptop can access the Internet and it can view shared
folders on the desktop (if I enter the user name and password normally
used when logging on the desktop).

Can I go the other way, too? Could I view shared folders on the Vista
laptop, from the Windows 7 desktop?

Do I need to change how I log on the laptop so that it matches the
same username and password as the desktop?

I've marked some folders as shared on the laptop, but the desktop
doesn't even see the laptop as being on the network. I'm obviously
missing some required step, but haven't been able to figure out what
that might be.

Glory 01-06-2010 05:58 PM

Re: Win7 desktop wireless connection to Vista laptop

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:50:22 -0500, Meat Plow <meat@petitmorte.net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:39:41 -0500, Glory <gloryroad@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>>I have a desktop running Windows 7 and a laptop running Vista.
>>
>>So far, the laptop can access the Internet and it can view shared
>>folders on the desktop (if I enter the user name and password normally
>>used when logging on the desktop).
>>
>>Can I go the other way, too? Could I view shared folders on the Vista
>>laptop, from the Windows 7 desktop?
>>
>>Do I need to change how I log on the laptop so that it matches the
>>same username and password as the desktop?
>>
>>I've marked some folders as shared on the laptop, but the desktop
>>doesn't even see the laptop as being on the network. I'm obviously
>>missing some required step, but haven't been able to figure out what
>>that might be.

>both should be in the same work group. Vista needs file sharing
>enabled. Click on Help and Support and type in file sharing at the
>top then search and read the top results for instructions.

I've already done this. Desktop still can't see laptop as being on
the network.

§nühw¤£f 01-06-2010 11:14 PM

Glory wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:50:22 -0500, Meat Plow <meat@petitmorte.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 12:39:41 -0500, Glory <gloryroad@yahoo.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I have a desktop running Windows 7 and a laptop running Vista.
>>>
>>> So far, the laptop can access the Internet and it can view shared
>>> folders on the desktop (if I enter the user name and password normally
>>> used when logging on the desktop).
>>>
>>> Can I go the other way, too? Could I view shared folders on the Vista
>>> laptop, from the Windows 7 desktop?
>>>
>>> Do I need to change how I log on the laptop so that it matches the
>>> same username and password as the desktop?
>>>
>>> I've marked some folders as shared on the laptop, but the desktop
>>> doesn't even see the laptop as being on the network. I'm obviously
>>> missing some required step, but haven't been able to figure out what
>>> that might be.

>> both should be in the same work group. Vista needs file sharing
>> enabled. Click on Help and Support and type in file sharing at the
>> top then search and read the top results for instructions.

> I've already done this. Desktop still can't see laptop as being on
> the network.

Read this:
http://windows7center.com/forums/win...a-network.html

Lotsa ideas...looks like Micro$uck decided to make networking between
vista and seven a PITA as part of their ever present push to get users
to "upgrade". And thats why we hate them.

^_^

--
http://www.democracyforamerica.com/