Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   skydrive explorer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t710123-skydrive-explorer.html)

gamma 12-29-2009 11:59 AM

skydrive explorer
 
Anyone know if skydrive explorer is safe to use or how to find out.
http://skydriveexplorer.com/index.php

What's to stop someone with a sinister motive from distributing useful
looking software that can compromise your computer or information?

Why would skydrive explorer be free?


Peter Jenkins 12-30-2009 12:05 AM

Re: skydrive explorer
 
On Dec 30, 12:59*am, gamma <darkknight...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone know if skydrive explorer is safe to use or how to find out.http://skydriveexplorer.com/index.php
>
> What's to stop someone with a sinister motive from distributing useful
> looking software that can compromise your computer or information?
>
> Why would skydrive explorer be free?


I wouldn't mind knowing this too, as this service looks like it might
be a good solution for a problem I have had.

Had a nosy around the site, possibly the business model is to get
users
hooked on a free service providing up to 25GB of storage with file
size
limited to 50MB, and then provide a premium paid service for people
who need more or want extra features. I also notice they are carrying
ads
on their site, which will generate a bit of income, and are also
asking for
donations for development of new releases.

Google reveals nothing about sinister motives, only that it is a bit
buggy
for some users

Regards
Peter Jenkins
see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 12-30-2009 04:10 AM

Re: skydrive explorer
 
In message <195da3ea-cde8-45e6-b332-
ebd7d6ee3e91@o28g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>, gamma wrote:

> What's to stop someone with a sinister motive from distributing useful
> looking software that can compromise your computer or information?


Source code.

Enkidu 12-30-2009 04:31 AM

Re: skydrive explorer
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <195da3ea-cde8-45e6-b332-
> ebd7d6ee3e91@o28g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>, gamma wrote:
>
>> What's to stop someone with a sinister motive from distributing useful
>> looking software that can compromise your computer or information?

>
> Source code.
>

Yeah right. Who looks at source code? The writers of malicious code
could probably release their source code without anyone bothering to
check up.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
the same old personalities show through.

gamma 12-30-2009 06:05 PM

Re: skydrive explorer
 
On Dec 30, 5:31*pm, Enkidu <enkidu....@com.cliffp.com> wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> > In message <195da3ea-cde8-45e6-b332-
> > ebd7d6ee3...@o28g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>, gamma wrote:

>
> >> What's to stop someone with a sinister motive from distributing useful
> >> looking software that can compromise your computer or information?

>
> > Source code.

>
> *>
> Yeah right. Who looks at source code? The writers of malicious code
> could probably release their source code without anyone bothering to
> check up.


yep.
I wonder whether there's a U.S. govt department that looks into cyber
security who investigates things like this. I wonder how often people
have their credit card details stolen by trojans or whatever.

Is it possible to track who the makers of skydrive explorer are, or
does using a web host give them total anonimity?

http://whois.domaintools.com/skydriveexplorer.com

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 12-31-2009 08:16 AM

Re: skydrive explorer
 
In message <e28060c9-ef26-47c9-b083-
e20b179ed4be@k23g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, gamma wrote:

> I wonder whether there's a U.S. govt department that looks into cyber
> security who investigates things like this.


If they published their source code, anybody could check it for themselves.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.