Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Installing Windows 7 on a new PC. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t709994-re-installing-windows-7-on-a-new-pc.html)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 12-27-2009 11:02 PM

In message <kvkfj5pj7bq32v6b7g2uj6ur3vt0aok6cd@4ax.com>, Crash wrote:

> I plan to buy the OEM version of 7 Home Premium.

You’re not allowed to buy an OEM licence to install for your own use
<http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=hcu2he$guj$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>,
<http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=hd2d72$2h9$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 12-28-2009 12:10 AM

In message <lnqfj51c9kuh59fth4jo5blpra583u3pa0@4ax.com>, Crash wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:02:14 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>
>>In message <kvkfj5pj7bq32v6b7g2uj6ur3vt0aok6cd@4ax.com>, Crash wrote:
>>
>>> I plan to buy the OEM version of 7 Home Premium.

>>You’re not allowed to buy an OEM licence to install for your own use
>><http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=hcu2he$guj$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>,
>><http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=hd2d72$2h9$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>.

> Interesting but inaccurate. MS have no control over what I buy from
> Atech (or anyone else).

They own the rights to the software. They’re entitled to go after
“counterfeiters” who sell unauthorized copies of Windows. If a copy is sold
not according to the licence conditions, then it’s unauthorized. Since,
after all, it is only the licence conditions that authorize the sale.

peterwn 12-28-2009 12:48 AM

Re: Installing Windows 7 on a new PC.

On Dec 28, 1:10*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <lnqfj51c9kuh59fth4jo5blpra583u3...@4ax.com>, Crash wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:02:14 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> > <l...@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> >>Youre not allowed to buy an OEM licence to install for your own use
> >><http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=hcu2he$gu...@lust.ihug.co.nz>,
> >><http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=hd2d72$2h...@lust.ihug.co.nz>..

> > Interesting but inaccurate. *MS have no control over what I buy from
> > Atech (or anyone else).

> They own the rights to the software. Theyre entitled to go after
> counterfeiters who sell unauthorized copies of Windows. If a copy is sold
> not according to the licence conditions, then its unauthorized. Since,
> after all, it is only the licence conditions that authorize the sale.

Buying OEM Windows together with the 'target' machine is quite legit.
as far as I know.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 12-28-2009 01:54 AM

Re: Installing Windows 7 on a new PC.

In message <54ab4bbd-9723-42b0-
b704-56a178f8c3c2@j4g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>, peterwn wrote:

> Buying OEM Windows together with the 'target' machine is quite legit.
> as far as I know.

It used to be. But Microsoft has been removing any mention of such
permissions from its website and licence agreements.