Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows 7 32-bit vs 64-bit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t709887-windows-7-32-bit-vs-64-bit.html)

Scott 12-26-2009 11:06 AM

Windows 7 32-bit vs 64-bit

I have learnt that Windows 64-bit has better performance. I am going to
have a new computer and would like to know if I should select 32-bit or
64-bit OS. If I select 64-bit OS, do I need to buy all application software
for 64-bit in order to have better performance. Can someone give me
guidance the pro and con for choosing 64-bit OS.

Thanks,

Scott

Jeff Gaines 12-26-2009 11:53 AM

Re: Windows 7 32-bit vs 64-bit

On 26/12/2009 in message <C75C0F45.8D66%NoSpam-Scott.Xe@gmail.com> Scott
wrote:

>I have learnt that Windows 64-bit has better performance. I am going to
>have a new computer and would like to know if I should select 32-bit or
>64-bit OS. If I select 64-bit OS, do I need to buy all application
>software
>for 64-bit in order to have better performance. Can someone give me
>guidance the pro and con for choosing 64-bit OS.

There is no performance difference between running 32 bit programs on
Win7-32 or Win7-64.

There are very few 64 bit programs around, you can probably count them on
the fingers of one hand.

What you absolutely must check is if 64 bit drivers exist for all your
hardware. Some manufacturers see 64 bit as an opportunity to force us to
upgrade our hardware.

Subject to that you can use a lot more memory in Win7-64 and if you do
install lots of memory that may mean that you end up with a more
responsive machine when switching between programs.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is

mikeyhsd 12-26-2009 01:15 PM

Re: Windows 7 32-bit vs 64-bit

generally all 32 bit programs work on 64 bit os.
there are a few exceptions.
like flash for example. but there are easy work arounds.

getting a new computer there is less worry about proper drivers for the hardware.

you can always check with the individual program makers to see if they have a 64 bit version.

mikeyhsd@hotmail.com

Tom 12-26-2009 02:11 PM

Re: Windows 7 32-bit vs 64-bit

"Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have learnt that Windows 64-bit has better performance. I am going to
> have a new computer and would like to know if I should select 32-bit or
> 64-bit OS. If I select 64-bit OS, do I need to buy all application
> software
> for 64-bit in order to have better performance. Can someone give me
> guidance the pro and con for choosing 64-bit OS.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

If you are building the PC yourself, you would want to make sure the
hardware would be 64 compatible, most are now anyway, especially the CPUs.
If you're having it built, it should be put together as such, just be sure
to see the components list on the configuration beofre finalizing any
order..

Dave \Crash\ Dummy 12-26-2009 02:40 PM

Re: Windows 7 32-bit vs 64-bit

Scott wrote:
> I have learnt that Windows 64-bit has better performance. I am going
> to have a new computer and would like to know if I should select
> 32-bit or 64-bit OS. If I select 64-bit OS, do I need to buy all
> application software for 64-bit in order to have better performance.
> Can someone give me guidance the pro and con for choosing 64-bit OS.

While 64 bit systems run into problems with other programs that haven't
caught up, yet, 64 bit is the Wave of the Future. Microsoft has dealt
with the 32 bit compatibility problem by including examples of both in
its 64 bit system. Using the 32 bit Internet Explorer will take care of
a lot of problems. If you are buying or building a new computer, it
makes sense to install the most advanced and forward looking system.

--
Crash

"Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down."
~ Robert Frost ~

Scott 12-26-2009 02:50 PM

Re: Windows 7 32-bit vs 64-bit

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 09:40:41 -0500, "Dave \"Crash\" Dummy"
<invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Scott wrote:
>> I have learnt that Windows 64-bit has better performance. I am going
>> to have a new computer and would like to know if I should select
>> 32-bit or 64-bit OS. If I select 64-bit OS, do I need to buy all
>> application software for 64-bit in order to have better performance.
>> Can someone give me guidance the pro and con for choosing 64-bit OS.
>>

>While 64 bit systems run into problems with other programs that haven't
>caught up, yet, 64 bit is the Wave of the Future. Microsoft has dealt
>with the 32 bit compatibility problem by including examples of both in
>its 64 bit system. Using the 32 bit Internet Explorer will take care of
>a lot of problems. If you are buying or building a new computer, it
>makes sense to install the most advanced and forward looking system.

That's what I did. I went for 64 bit as I think this is the future.
Most things work fine (but as you say you need to use the 32 bit
version of Internet Explorer for sites using Flash). My Palm PDA
won't synchronise as there are no 64 bit drivers but I gather the way
round this is to use Bluetooth instead (though I have not got this to
work yet). The scanner won't work either as there are no drivers but
conveniently my brother gave me an Amazon voucher which will just
about pay for a new scanner.

Scott (a different one)

Scott 12-26-2009 03:39 PM

Re: Windows 7 32-bit vs 64-bit

If I select 64-bit OS, all the hardware drivers must be 64-bit to work
smoothly. However, the application can be either 32-bit or 64-bit ones that
the 64-bit OS can handle as backward compatible. Is it correct
understanding? Thanks!!

Jeff Gaines 12-26-2009 05:24 PM

Re: Windows 7 32-bit vs 64-bit

On 26/12/2009 in message <C75C4F32.8EAB%NoSpam-Scott.Xe@gmail.com> Scott
wrote:

>If I select 64-bit OS, all the hardware drivers must be 64-bit to work
>smoothly. However, the application can be either 32-bit or 64-bit ones
>that
>the 64-bit OS can handle as backward compatible. Is it correct
>understanding? Thanks!!

Spot on :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
By the time you can make ends meet they move the ends

Scott 12-26-2009 05:51 PM

Re: Windows 7 32-bit vs 64-bit

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 23:39:30 +0800, Scott <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@gmail.com>
wrote:

>If I select 64-bit OS, all the hardware drivers must be 64-bit to work
>smoothly. However, the application can be either 32-bit or 64-bit ones that
>the 64-bit OS can handle as backward compatible. Is it correct
>understanding? Thanks!!

I assume you mean '64-bit or 32 bit ones that the 64-bit OS can handle
as backward compatible'. That is my understanding also.

The other Scott

Ron Rosenfeld 12-26-2009 06:12 PM

Re: Windows 7 32-bit vs 64-bit

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 23:39:30 +0800, Scott <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@gmail.com> wrote:

>If I select 64-bit OS, all the hardware drivers must be 64-bit to work
>smoothly. However, the application can be either 32-bit or 64-bit ones that
>the 64-bit OS can handle as backward compatible. Is it correct
>understanding? Thanks!!

More or less. I have a few (very few) 32 bit programs that won't run; and 2
old 16-bit programs. However, MS also supplies Windows Virtual PC with Windows
XP mode (for free) and that allows running these legacy programs. It also
allowed installing a 32 bit USB driver for my scanner (for which there is no
64bit TWAIN driver available).
--ron