Velocity Reviews

-   -   Norton Ghost (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t708687-norton-ghost.html)

Jeff Strickland 12-14-2009 04:43 PM

Norton Ghost

I installed Ghost to make regular backups of my HDD, but the backup files
keep adding up and now they consume more space than the data they are
protecting.

Is there a setting that I have not found that deletes the backup files and
new backups are created. I can't see any need for more than two or three of
the past results of backing up the HDD, but I have several dozen backups. I
went in and deleted all but the most current date of backup files manually,
but it seems to me that Norton should poll the backup files when it makes a
new one, and delete old files automatically. The assumption I make is that
if I do not use a backup before the next backup is scheduled, then the older
file is no longer needed because whatever it contains is also contained in
the new file.

Norton Ghost is growing to consume more space that the space it is
protecting. I need it to stop growing, but not stop protecting.

Joe J. 12-14-2009 06:43 PM

Re: Norton Ghost

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I installed Ghost to make regular backups of my HDD, but the backup files
>keep adding up and now they consume more space than the data they are
>protecting.
>
> Is there a setting that I have not found that deletes the backup files and
> new backups are created. I can't see any need for more than two or three
> of the past results of backing up the HDD, but I have several dozen
> backups. I went in and deleted all but the most current date of backup
> files manually, but it seems to me that Norton should poll the backup
> files when it makes a new one, and delete old files automatically. The
> assumption I make is that if I do not use a backup before the next backup
> is scheduled, then the older file is no longer needed because whatever it
> contains is also contained in the new file.
>
> Norton Ghost is growing to consume more space that the space it is
> protecting. I need it to stop growing, but not stop protecting.

Edit schedule and there is a setting for how many back-up copies it should
keep.

Joe J.

Jeff Strickland 12-14-2009 07:10 PM

Re: Norton Ghost

"Joe J." <joejak@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I installed Ghost to make regular backups of my HDD, but the backup files
>>keep adding up and now they consume more space than the data they are
>>protecting.
>>
>> Is there a setting that I have not found that deletes the backup files
>> and new backups are created. I can't see any need for more than two or
>> three of the past results of backing up the HDD, but I have several dozen
>> backups. I went in and deleted all but the most current date of backup
>> files manually, but it seems to me that Norton should poll the backup
>> files when it makes a new one, and delete old files automatically. The
>> assumption I make is that if I do not use a backup before the next backup
>> is scheduled, then the older file is no longer needed because whatever it
>> contains is also contained in the new file.
>>
>> Norton Ghost is growing to consume more space that the space it is
>> protecting. I need it to stop growing, but not stop protecting.

> Edit schedule and there is a setting for how many back-up copies it should
> keep.
>
> Joe J.

I found the settings for the number of recovery points, and it's set to 3.
But the backup files are different than recovery points, I think.

Maybe I need some instruction on what the files are ...

Or, I just have to remember to go to the drive where the backup files are
stored and delete the older files that are outside of the date range for the
recovery point.

- Bobb - 12-14-2009 09:02 PM

Re: Norton Ghost

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I installed Ghost to make regular backups of my HDD, but the backup files
>keep adding up and now they consume more space than the data they are
>protecting.
>
> Is there a setting that I have not found that deletes the backup files and
> new backups are created. I can't see any need for more than two or three
> of the past results of backing up the HDD, but I have several dozen
> backups. I went in and deleted all but the most current date of backup
> files manually, but it seems to me that Norton should poll the backup
> files when it makes a new one, and delete old files automatically. The
> assumption I make is that if I do not use a backup before the next backup
> is scheduled, then the older file is no longer needed because whatever it
> contains is also contained in the new file.
>
> Norton Ghost is growing to consume more space that the space it is
> protecting. I need it to stop growing, but not stop protecting.

Toy didn't say which version, but here's from V14:

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...user_guide.pdf
see page 134 of manual
To limit the number of file versions to keep

1 On the Tools page, click Manage Backup Destination.

2 Click Settings.

3 Check Limit file versions for file and folder backups, and then type a
number

between 1 and 99.

4 You can also check Monitor disk space usage for backup storage, and then

specify a limit to the total amount of disk space that can be used for both

recovery points and file and folder backup data.

See "Automating management of backup data" on page 135.

5 Click OK.