Velocity Reviews

-   -   Nokia 2112 Phone (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t708654-nokia-2112-phone.html)

Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz 12-14-2009 08:13 AM

Nokia 2112 Phone

Has anyone successfully connected a Nokia 2112 to a PC?

I have a Nokia DKU-5 USB Data Cable.

I've installed Nokia Connectivity Cable driver and the
Nokia PC Suite 6.85, but the phone in not recognised by the PC when I
follow the connection wizard.

XP Hardware Device Manager shows the USB-Serial Controller is not
installed. I've searched the Web, but haven't found any drivers.

I don't want music etc , just want to be able to enter names and
phone numbers.

Richard 12-14-2009 03:25 PM

Re: Nokia 2112 Phone

Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
> Has anyone successfully connected a Nokia 2112 to a PC?
>
> I have a Nokia DKU-5 USB Data Cable.
>
> I've installed Nokia Connectivity Cable driver and the
> Nokia PC Suite 6.85, but the phone in not recognised by the PC when I
> follow the connection wizard.
>
> XP Hardware Device Manager shows the USB-Serial Controller is not
> installed. I've searched the Web, but haven't found any drivers.

> I don't want music etc , just want to be able to enter names and
> phone numbers.

Chances are the cable you have is a clone with a prolific chipset in it.

There are many many old drivers that dont work with the newer chips, and
the chinese fake cable places ship old mini cds with cables all the time.

Go here http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

get the latest driver, install it and see if you get another comport
showing up.

Then try telling whatever sync software you have to use that port. Nokia
PC suite isnt always happy to deal with the cheap phones that don't
officially support sync, but it was ok with my ancient CDMA nokia to get
contacts and appointments synced (with that bloody + not working on CDMA
problem - argh)

Dave Doe 12-15-2009 03:01 AM

Re: Nokia 2112 Phone

In article <2psbi5l2ru4lai5mgkukp1dak2pobqp5i0@4ax.com>,
lrollo@paradise.net.nz says...

> Has anyone successfully connected a Nokia 2112 to a PC?
>
> I have a Nokia DKU-5 USB Data Cable.
>
> I've installed Nokia Connectivity Cable driver and the
> Nokia PC Suite 6.85, but the phone in not recognised by the PC when I
> follow the connection wizard.
>
> XP Hardware Device Manager shows the USB-Serial Controller is not
> installed. I've searched the Web, but haven't found any drivers.

> I don't want music etc , just want to be able to enter names and
> phone numbers.

Richard's suggestion re the prolific driver might help.

You should be using the latest Nokia PC Suite too - which you can d/l
off their site (mine says: 7.1.40.1).

But I think the short of it is you need to get your USB working. It may
be that you need to (re) install your mobo chipset drivers.

--
Duncan.

Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz 12-15-2009 08:03 AM

Re: Nokia 2112 Phone

Richard and Dave Doe.

I've installed the Prolific Drivers.

The Hardware device manager now shows an additional USB-Serial comp
Port 3.

All USB ports functioning correctly.

The Nokia modem options are all Bluetooth models with the except of
one labelled %RM-379%. I ignored the Bluetooth entries. The RM option
only offers Comm1

The PC Suite 'connect to the internet' option says trhere is no modem
installed.

At the moment I seem to be going around in circles.

Any way to stop the roundabout ?

Dave Doe 12-15-2009 11:16 AM

Re: Nokia 2112 Phone

In article <mifei51h2np85rb8m0fcrruq86af2m5ln7@4ax.com>,
lrollo@paradise.net.nz says...

> Richard and Dave Doe.
>
> I've installed the Prolific Drivers.
>
> The Hardware device manager now shows an additional USB-Serial comp
> Port 3.
>
> All USB ports functioning correctly.
>
> The Nokia modem options are all Bluetooth models with the except of
> one labelled %RM-379%. I ignored the Bluetooth entries. The RM option
> only offers Comm1
>
> The PC Suite 'connect to the internet' option says trhere is no modem
> installed.
>
> At the moment I seem to be going around in circles.
>
> Any way to stop the roundabout ?

Well off the top of my head... when you first run the Nokia PC Suite
install, it steps you through the connection to the phone through a
wizard type thing. Just make sure you select "serial cable" (or
similar) - even though the cable is plugged into a USB port.

I guess you've been there, done that. :(

--
Duncan.

thingy 12-15-2009 06:12 PM

Re: Nokia 2112 Phone

On Dec 14, 9:13*pm, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
<lro...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> * * * * Has anyone successfully connected a Nokia 2112 to a PC?
>
> * * * * I have a Nokia DKU-5 USB Data Cable.
>
> * * * * I've installed Nokia Connectivity Cable driver and the * * * * *
> Nokia PC Suite 6.85, but the phone in not recognised by the PC when I
> follow the connection wizard.
>
> * * * * XP Hardware Device Manager shows the USB-Serial Controller is not
> installed. I've searched the Web, but haven't found any drivers.
>
> * * * * Can someone point me in the right direction?
>
> * * * * I don't want music etc , just want to be able to enter names and
> phone numbers.

Is it a genuine cable? is it the right one? I use a cheap clone off
trademe and its fine for my 6xxx, however while the same mech fitting
is on my 5xxx but it does not work.

Try downloading the later suite, mine is 7.1.40 and there was a recent
release of new.

Get the nokia firmware update tool and try updating the firmware.

Take the phone to someone elses PC and download the tools to update
the firmware...

After that Im out of ideas!

regards

thing

EMB 12-15-2009 06:24 PM

Re: Nokia 2112 Phone

thingy wrote:

> Is it a genuine cable? is it the right one? I use a cheap clone off
> trademe and its fine for my 6xxx, however while the same mech fitting
> is on my 5xxx but it does not work.

That's because the 6xxx phones are native USB and use what is just a
straight cable whilst the 5xxx phones are RS-232C and need a cable with
an inbuilt converter. Someowhat annoyingly the 2 cables look externally
identical.

Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz 12-15-2009 08:01 PM

Re: Nokia 2112 Phone

Richard 12-16-2009 03:12 AM

Re: Nokia 2112 Phone

Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
> Richard and Dave Doe.
>
> I've installed the Prolific Drivers.
>
> The Hardware device manager now shows an additional USB-Serial comp
> Port 3.
>
> All USB ports functioning correctly.
>
> The Nokia modem options are all Bluetooth models with the except of
> one labelled %RM-379%. I ignored the Bluetooth entries. The RM option
> only offers Comm1
>
> The PC Suite 'connect to the internet' option says trhere is no modem
> installed.
>
> At the moment I seem to be going around in circles.
>
> Any way to stop the roundabout ?

PC suite does a crap job detecting serial connected phones, just keep
doing the add new phone routine till it finds it.

I never had any luck specifying the port manually, had to let it detect it.

I think it has to do with the timnig of when it is connected to the
phone, as I would have to unplug and replug the phone end if it was idle
for a while.

Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz 12-17-2009 06:55 AM

Re: Nokia 2112 Phone

Richard:

I went the add hardware route and now have both the Nokia
Connectiviy Cable DKU-5 and the Prolific USB-to_Serial cable and the
%Rm-379% modem listed as installed.

However, when I attempt to use the PC Suite. despite having my
phone attached and active.

The PC Sync icon in the tray returns no items the Select Phone
dialog.

Any suggestions as to what else I can try ?