Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows 7 config (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t708077-windows-7-config.html)

zxcvbob 12-09-2009 04:02 AM

Windows 7 config

I've got an easy one (I assume it's easy)

I just bought a new computer with Windows 7 preloaded. The hard
drive is split into two 100-ish GB paritions (not including the
recovery partition.) The D driver is empty and doesn't seem to be
used for anything. How do I get My Documents to map to a folder in
the D drive instead of C?

Thanks,
Bob

Dan C 12-09-2009 05:16 AM

Re: Windows 7 config

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 22:02:54 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

> I've got an easy one (I assume it's easy)
>
> I just bought a new computer with Windows 7 preloaded. The hard drive
> is split into two 100-ish GB paritions (not including the recovery
> partition.) The D driver is empty and doesn't seem to be used for
> anything. How do I get My Documents to map to a folder in the D drive
> instead of C?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

You'll have to format your hard drive.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he wiped the vomit from his chin.

zxcvbob 12-09-2009 05:37 AM

Re: Windows 7 config

Grinder wrote:
> On 12/8/2009 10:02 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
>> I've got an easy one (I assume it's easy)
>>
>> I just bought a new computer with Windows 7 preloaded. The hard drive is
>> split into two 100-ish GB paritions (not including the recovery
>> partition.) The D driver is empty and doesn't seem to be used for
>> anything. How do I get My Documents to map to a folder in the D drive
>> instead of C?

> You can open up your user folder (found at C:\Users\Bob for a user named
> Bob) and drag those folders to a new destination. It will automatically
> remap the system paths to reflect where you drop that stuff. That
> works, but I prefer to remap the entire user folder instead of just its
> contents one-by-one.
>
> I can't find the prescription I followed, but basically what it involves
> is moving your user folder to it's new location, and creating a junction
> to it at the old location. This guy seems to have a good description of
> what to do:
>
> http://www.starkeith.net/coredump/20...another-drive/
>

> He'll probably warn you, but it bears repeating: You can bork your
> install by doing this so make a backup before you start.

That's the one. (it's a little different than I was expecting, but
I've used file system mount points before on other OS's so I
understand what he's doing.) Thanks.

Bob

G. Morgan 12-09-2009 07:33 AM

Re: Windows 7 config

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 22:02:54 -0600, zxcvbob <zxcvbob@charter.net> wrote:

>I've got an easy one (I assume it's easy)
>
>I just bought a new computer with Windows 7 preloaded. The hard
>drive is split into two 100-ish GB paritions (not including the
>recovery partition.) The D driver is empty and doesn't seem to be
>used for anything. How do I get My Documents to map to a folder in
>the D drive instead of C?

You can open the Documents library, and at the top it will say "Documents
includes x location(s). Add a new location by clicking on that line, and
select "add". Map it the drive/directory you want to add. Then delete the
original entry that points to the c: drive. Repeat for videos, pictures,
music, downloads, etc... You can also add library pointers this way.

why? 12-09-2009 06:14 PM

Re: Windows 7 config

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 22:02:54 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

>I've got an easy one (I assume it's easy)

Actually usually not, path is fairly fixed at installation time, if you
don't use a custom setup. It's one of those MS things.

>I just bought a new computer with Windows 7 preloaded. The hard
>drive is split into two 100-ish GB paritions (not including the
>recovery partition.) The D driver is empty and doesn't seem to be
>used for anything. How do I get My Documents to map to a folder in
>the D drive instead of C?

The Win 7 PC is off just now, but it may be like 2000/XP.

Backup / Copy all the files, there will be some system/hidden files you
need.

In Win Explorer , right click My Documents , Properties ,

Target Folder Location
Target - <path>
Buttons - Restore Default , Move , Find Target

Have never tried this, just saw it one day.

>Thanks,
>Bob

Me