Velocity Reviews

-   -   Secured wireless network? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t708066-secured-wireless-network.html)

Bob Newman 12-09-2009 01:23 AM

Secured wireless network?

This is undoubtedly a dumb question but, how do I secure my home wireless
network (Win 7 Home Pro)? Is it hardware or software? A Windows setting?

Thanks... Bob

Jack [MVP-Networking] 12-09-2009 05:12 AM

Re: Secured wireless network?

Hi
The core of the encryption settings is in your Wireless Router.
Once you set it you log with the Wireless computer and configure the logon
with the same encryption pass phrase.
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if
it is Off)
MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can be
easily Spoofed).
-------------------
The three above are Not considered safe.
Safe Starts here at WPA.
-------------------
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would have
to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
your Wireless hardware.
phrase.
of one of the Wireless devices.