Velocity Reviews

-   -   MSI 123 Netbook problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t707832-msi-123-netbook-problem.html)

Julie Bove 12-07-2009 04:02 AM

MSI 123 Netbook problem

My daughter has this and the left click button on the touchpad quit working,
also you can't click on the touchpad. The right click button does work. We
took it back to the computer store where we got it and they fixed it. But
now it is happening again and they are not open. Does anyone know how to
fix it?

The wireless keeps getting disabled as well. The fix for that is Fn F11. I
am think it is something like that for the touchpad as well.

I don't know how she keeps doing this, but it's annoying.

Thanks!

Paul 12-07-2009 07:00 AM

Re: MSI 123 Netbook problem

Julie Bove wrote:
> My daughter has this and the left click button on the touchpad quit working,
> also you can't click on the touchpad. The right click button does work. We
> took it back to the computer store where we got it and they fixed it. But
> now it is happening again and they are not open. Does anyone know how to
> fix it?
>
> The wireless keeps getting disabled as well. The fix for that is Fn F11. I
> am think it is something like that for the touchpad as well.
>
> I don't know how she keeps doing this, but it's annoying.
>
> Thanks!

There are two manuals.

http://download2.msi.com/files/downl....0_English.zip

http://download2.msi.com/files/downl...ery_Hotkey.zip

In the case of this question, the first file, unzip, open the
PDF and go to PDF page 54. The Fn+F3 combo is for turning on
and off the touchpad. There are a bunch of other commands
as well. It doesn't say what works or doesn't work when you
do the Fn+F3, so you'll have to experiment.

The main web page for the U123 is here. There are various
sub-models of the U123 and for those, there is likely another
link.

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=do...5&prod_no=1763

If you use something like the Live Update, that may leave a piece of
software running on the computer. The last time I used MSI Live
Update, I removed it after using it. I hate clogging a computer
with junk. Live Update is supposed to help you find the
drivers or BIOS updates specific to the model. But you can also do
that manually just as easily. It doesn't take that long.

Paul

Julie Bove 12-07-2009 07:35 AM

Re: MSI 123 Netbook problem

> Julie Bove wrote:
>> My daughter has this and the left click button on the touchpad quit
>> working, also you can't click on the touchpad. The right click button
>> does work. We took it back to the computer store where we got it and
>> they fixed it. But now it is happening again and they are not open.
>> Does anyone know how to fix it?
>>
>> The wireless keeps getting disabled as well. The fix for that is Fn F11.
>> I am think it is something like that for the touchpad as well.
>>
>> I don't know how she keeps doing this, but it's annoying.
>>
>> Thanks!

> There are two manuals.
>
> http://download2.msi.com/files/downl....0_English.zip
>
> http://download2.msi.com/files/downl...ery_Hotkey.zip
>
> In the case of this question, the first file, unzip, open the
> PDF and go to PDF page 54. The Fn+F3 combo is for turning on
> and off the touchpad. There are a bunch of other commands
> as well. It doesn't say what works or doesn't work when you
> do the Fn+F3, so you'll have to experiment.
>
> The main web page for the U123 is here. There are various
> sub-models of the U123 and for those, there is likely another
> link.
>
> http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=do...5&prod_no=1763
>
> If you use something like the Live Update, that may leave a piece of
> software running on the computer. The last time I used MSI Live
> Update, I removed it after using it. I hate clogging a computer
> with junk. Live Update is supposed to help you find the
> drivers or BIOS updates specific to the model. But you can also do
> that manually just as easily. It doesn't take that long.

Thanks! That might be the problem. Oddly the right click button works. I
don't know where she put the computer so I can't tell if it is working or
not.

Julie Bove 12-08-2009 04:26 AM

Re: MSI 123 Netbook problem

"Julie Bove" <juliebove@verizon.net> wrote in message

>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> My daughter has this and the left click button on the touchpad quit
>>> working, also you can't click on the touchpad. The right click button
>>> does work. We took it back to the computer store where we got it and
>>> they fixed it. But now it is happening again and they are not open.
>>> Does anyone know how to fix it?
>>>
>>> The wireless keeps getting disabled as well. The fix for that is Fn
>>> F11. I am think it is something like that for the touchpad as well.
>>>
>>> I don't know how she keeps doing this, but it's annoying.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> There are two manuals.
>>
>> http://download2.msi.com/files/downl....0_English.zip
>>
>> http://download2.msi.com/files/downl...ery_Hotkey.zip
>>
>> In the case of this question, the first file, unzip, open the
>> PDF and go to PDF page 54. The Fn+F3 combo is for turning on
>> and off the touchpad. There are a bunch of other commands
>> as well. It doesn't say what works or doesn't work when you
>> do the Fn+F3, so you'll have to experiment.
>>
>> The main web page for the U123 is here. There are various
>> sub-models of the U123 and for those, there is likely another
>> link.
>>
>> http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=do...5&prod_no=1763
>>
>> If you use something like the Live Update, that may leave a piece of
>> software running on the computer. The last time I used MSI Live
>> Update, I removed it after using it. I hate clogging a computer
>> with junk. Live Update is supposed to help you find the
>> drivers or BIOS updates specific to the model. But you can also do
>> that manually just as easily. It doesn't take that long.

> Thanks! That might be the problem. Oddly the right click button works.
> I don't know where she put the computer so I can't tell if it is working
> or not.

That wasn't the problem. Neither was the mouse settings as the computer
store said. Guess I have to take it back again. This thing is a pain!

Paul 12-08-2009 05:59 AM

Re: MSI 123 Netbook problem

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Julie Bove" <juliebove@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message

>>> There are two manuals.
>>>
>>> http://download2.msi.com/files/downl....0_English.zip
>>>
>>> http://download2.msi.com/files/downl...ery_Hotkey.zip
>>>
>>> In the case of this question, the first file, unzip, open the
>>> PDF and go to PDF page 54. The Fn+F3 combo is for turning on
>>> and off the touchpad. There are a bunch of other commands
>>> as well. It doesn't say what works or doesn't work when you
>>> do the Fn+F3, so you'll have to experiment.
>>>
>>> The main web page for the U123 is here. There are various
>>> sub-models of the U123 and for those, there is likely another
>>> link.
>>>
>>> http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=do...5&prod_no=1763
>>>
>>> If you use something like the Live Update, that may leave a piece of
>>> software running on the computer. The last time I used MSI Live
>>> Update, I removed it after using it. I hate clogging a computer
>>> with junk. Live Update is supposed to help you find the
>>> drivers or BIOS updates specific to the model. But you can also do
>>> that manually just as easily. It doesn't take that long.

>> Thanks! That might be the problem. Oddly the right click button works.
>> I don't know where she put the computer so I can't tell if it is working
>> or not.

> That wasn't the problem. Neither was the mouse settings as the computer
> store said. Guess I have to take it back again. This thing is a pain!

I suppose it could be a driver problem. Make sure you get details
from the person who fixes it, so you'll be ready for the next time.

Interesting. I checked the MSI site, and for Touchpad Driver
it reports "No Driver Needed". So maybe as shipped, it has no
driver.

There is a report here...

http://www.amazon.com/review/RDJ370VZHUB17

"On Synaptics website, I read in the FAQs something about the advanced
functions being disabled if the computer recognizes a second mouse."

The drivers are a bit weird, as I think they sit above the HID (human
interface device) level and intercept what the user is doing to the pad.
And then convert that into some other kind of event to the next layer up.

Another thing, was the suggestion that MSI used two different pads
in their products. Now, MSI probably thinks neither of them needs
a driver. If you were to use a driver, it should probably match
the hardware used. The driver would be intended to add features, such
as the ability to gesture on the pad to implement scrolling.

I'd probably take a look in the "Add/Remove" control panel thing,
and see if a Synaptics driver had been added to the system,
in an attempt to add features such as scrolling. By default,
without a driver, there was apparently no scroll capability.

The Synaptics driver has this kind of thing listed in its
INF file, and maybe another brand wouldn't match these kind
of strings. The VID is the vendor ID, while the PID is the
product ID. 06CB probably belongs to Synaptics, and if
another brand of touchpad was there, maybe the driver
will not install. So you'd have to dig up what the system
is reporting, assuming the pad is USB connected, and see
what value it returns. If you can find the touchpad in
Device Manager, try right-click:Properties:Details and
look for something like a Device Instance Id or similar.

[SynMfg]
%USB.SynDeviceDesc%=USB_Inst, USB\Vid_06CB&Pid_0001

For example, I can look up a USB VID/PID here. This is
an informal list, since the official registry is a
state secret :-) This list won't have everything, just
the things people have added to the list.

http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

06cb Synaptics, Inc.
0001 HID Device

I would have expected those two buttons on the thing,
to always be working. I don't see the logic of
disabling only one of them, whatever happened
to them.

Paul

Julie Bove 12-08-2009 07:54 AM

Re: MSI 123 Netbook problem

> [...]

> will not install. So you'd have to dig up what the system
> is reporting, assuming the pad is USB connected, and see
> what value it returns. If you can find the touchpad in
> Device Manager, try right-click:Properties:Details and
> look for something like a Device Instance Id or similar.
>
> [SynMfg]
> %USB.SynDeviceDesc%=USB_Inst, USB\Vid_06CB&Pid_0001
>
> For example, I can look up a USB VID/PID here. This is
> an informal list, since the official registry is a
> state secret :-) This list won't have everything, just
> the things people have added to the list.
>
> http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids
>
> 06cb Synaptics, Inc.
> 0001 HID Device
>
> I would have expected those two buttons on the thing,
> to always be working. I don't see the logic of
> disabling only one of them, whatever happened

Hmmm... That's a little over my head. I'm not a computer person. If I
plug a mouse in, the mouse works. Thanks though.

Paul 12-08-2009 08:07 AM

Re: MSI 123 Netbook problem

Julie Bove wrote:

> Hmmm... That's a little over my head. I'm not a computer person. If I
> plug a mouse in, the mouse works. Thanks though.

If you find out what the fix is, post back.

The info I could find on the U123 was a little thin on details.

Paul

Julie Bove 12-08-2009 08:00 PM

Re: MSI 123 Netbook problem

> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm... That's a little over my head. I'm not a computer person. If I
>> plug a mouse in, the mouse works. Thanks though.

> If you find out what the fix is, post back.
>
> The info I could find on the U123 was a little thin on details

Sure. I will.

Julie Bove 12-09-2009 05:24 AM

Re: MSI 123 Netbook problem

>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmmm... That's a little over my head. I'm not a computer person. If I
>>> plug a mouse in, the mouse works. Thanks though.

>> If you find out what the fix is, post back.
>>
>> The info I could find on the U123 was a little thin on details

> Sure. I will.

They think it is a fluke that they got it working again. An intermittent
problem. In other words, bad hardware. They are sending it back as
defective.