Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Information (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f41-computer-information.html)
-   -   Free Agent/Teranews problem questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t707824-free-agent-teranews-problem-questions.html)

nopEda 12-07-2009 01:48 AM

Free Agent/Teranews problem questions
 
Yeah, I know it's asking for trouble using programs like that, but
then again they work fine until they **** up. For example they have
been working fine together for 6-8 months or more up until this
afternoon. Then I noticed that Free Agent started taking more time re-
connecting to teranews between posts I was reading. Then all of a
sudden it stopped retrieving them entirely and started giving the
error message:

Server news.teranews.com rejected your username and password
(Authentication Failed).

Since I hadn't looked at any of those properties much less made any
changes in several months I tried shutting things down and trying
again, which eventually led to shutting down the computer and trying
again. When it still kept giving the same message I went to Options--
Online Operation--Dial-up Connection, and found that my Password which
is less than 10 digits long, was somehow all of a sudden 16 digits
long. So I changed it back, hit Apply, then OK, then tried retrieving
a message again. I got the same error message. So I went back and
checked the properties to see if something else was wrong, and very
strangely (to me!) the password had apparently changed itself back to
the 16 digit one--whatever that is--again! ****ing around with it I
found that I can change my User Name and Connection and they will
remain as I changed them, but the password keeps resetting itself (or
whatever tf is going on) to the 16 digit one. So I decided to try New
connnection... and went through all the motions entering the old less
than 10 digit password. The something STILL changed the new connection
back to the 16 digit one that appears to have taken over...or
whatever. Is there a Free Agent password virus or something? WTF is
going on, does anyone know?

Thanks for any help!
David

Jeff Strickland 12-07-2009 02:58 PM

Re: Free Agent/Teranews problem questions
 
I'd be looking to the server as the cause of your problem.





"nopEda" <nopeda@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:ef8f1b0a-b7eb-4f4e-a73b-bfc1ac4adf42@h10g2000vbm.googlegroups.com...
> Yeah, I know it's asking for trouble using programs like that, but
> then again they work fine until they **** up. For example they have
> been working fine together for 6-8 months or more up until this
> afternoon. Then I noticed that Free Agent started taking more time re-
> connecting to teranews between posts I was reading. Then all of a
> sudden it stopped retrieving them entirely and started giving the
> error message:
>
> Server news.teranews.com rejected your username and password
> (Authentication Failed).
>
> Since I hadn't looked at any of those properties much less made any
> changes in several months I tried shutting things down and trying
> again, which eventually led to shutting down the computer and trying
> again. When it still kept giving the same message I went to Options--
> Online Operation--Dial-up Connection, and found that my Password which
> is less than 10 digits long, was somehow all of a sudden 16 digits
> long. So I changed it back, hit Apply, then OK, then tried retrieving
> a message again. I got the same error message. So I went back and
> checked the properties to see if something else was wrong, and very
> strangely (to me!) the password had apparently changed itself back to
> the 16 digit one--whatever that is--again! ****ing around with it I
> found that I can change my User Name and Connection and they will
> remain as I changed them, but the password keeps resetting itself (or
> whatever tf is going on) to the 16 digit one. So I decided to try New
> connnection... and went through all the motions entering the old less
> than 10 digit password. The something STILL changed the new connection
> back to the 16 digit one that appears to have taken over...or
> whatever. Is there a Free Agent password virus or something? WTF is
> going on, does anyone know?
>
> Thanks for any help!
> David




nopEda 12-07-2009 03:47 PM

Re: Free Agent/Teranews problem questions
 
On Dec 7, 9:58*am, "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrj...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'd be looking to the server as the cause of your problem.


Could they somehow keep changing the password in my Free Agent program
from one of less than 10 digits to one of 16? Can they do that even
when I'm offline, or is that the test? If I change it and the change
remains when I'm offline, but changes back to the 16 digit one when I
get online, will that be an indication that the server is doing it
somehow? If so, why would they be doing it???

Jeff Strickland 12-07-2009 03:54 PM

Re: Free Agent/Teranews problem questions
 

"nopEda" <nopeda@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:a6c95b84-0295-41b4-b191-997e39886de0@m3g2000yqf.googlegroups.com...
On Dec 7, 9:58 am, "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrj...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'd be looking to the server as the cause of your problem.


Could they somehow keep changing the password in my Free Agent program
from one of less than 10 digits to one of 16? Can they do that even
when I'm offline, or is that the test? If I change it and the change
remains when I'm offline, but changes back to the 16 digit one when I
get online, will that be an indication that the server is doing it
somehow? If so, why would they be doing it???


<JS>
No, they do not change the password. They have no reason to set the password
to one that you don't know.

The number of dots displayed where the password goes is not an indicator of
the length of the password. Your reader puts in the dots to show that the
password is being filled through AutoFill -- a saved entry -- but if the
password isn't correct and the person trying to open your reader isn't you,
then the number of dots is not supposed to provide a clue.

THEY are not changing your password. You can take that to the bank.

I think the problem is that the servers are down. Send them an e-mail.

</JS>






nopEda 12-08-2009 03:31 PM

Re: Free Agent/Teranews problem questions
 
On Dec 7, 10:54*am, "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrj...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> the number of dots is not supposed to provide a clue.
>
> THEY are not changing your password. You can take that to the bank.
>
> I think the problem is that the servers are down. Send them an e-mail.


I believe you were right because it seems to be working okay again
now. Thank you for your explanations!


Jeff Strickland 12-08-2009 04:45 PM

Re: Free Agent/Teranews problem questions
 

"nopEda" <nopeda@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:75741a7b-985b-4ead-ba6d-f8965e2f154b@g7g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...
On Dec 7, 10:54 am, "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrj...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> the number of dots is not supposed to provide a clue.
>
> THEY are not changing your password. You can take that to the bank.
>
> I think the problem is that the servers are down. Send them an e-mail.


I believe you were right because it seems to be working okay again
now. Thank you for your explanations!


<JS>
You're welcome.







All times are GMT. The time now is 08:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.