Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Damn Netflix popunders (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t707744-re-damn-netflix-popunders.html)

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 12-06-2009 01:12 AM

Re: Damn Netflix popunders

Arizona Willie wrote:
> Anyone know how to stop those damn Netflix popunder ads? I've got Adblocker
> and Firefox and IE set to block popups but the damn things still keep
> coming.
>
> Nothing stops them it seems.

I've never seen one. Can you post a link to one?
Anyways, try and invest in a good HOSTS file. Maybe
thats why I don't see any:
http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/ or
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Justin 12-07-2009 12:20 AM

Re: Damn Netflix popunders

Arizona Willie wrote on [Sun, 06 Dec 2009 10:51:07 -0600]:
> Arizona Willie <sclause@npole.com> wrote in
> news:Xns9CD96372422E3azwilliecoxnet@216.196.97.130 :
>
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
>> <peter.potamus.the.purple.hippo@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> I've never seen one. Can you post a link to one?
>>> Anyways, try and invest in a good HOSTS file. Maybe
>>> thats why I don't see any:
>>> http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/ or
>>> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
>>>

>> =============
>> Thanks I'll check into HOSTS files.
>>

> ===============
> I just went to az.central.com and clicked on a survey there and saw the

az.central.com is an invalid site.

Perhaps provide a URL of a site where you see the ad, not the ad URL.

Justin 12-07-2009 11:50 PM

Re: Damn Netflix popunders

Arizona Willie wrote on [Mon, 07 Dec 2009 15:39:43 -0600]:
> Justin <nospam@insightbb.com> wrote in
>
>> Arizona Willie wrote on [Sun, 06 Dec 2009 10:51:07 -0600]:
>>> Arizona Willie <sclause@npole.com> wrote in
>>> news:Xns9CD96372422E3azwilliecoxnet@216.196.97.130 :

> things

>>> ===============
>>> I just went to az.central.com and clicked on a survey there and saw

> the
>>
>> az.central.com is an invalid site.
>>
>> Perhaps provide a URL of a site where you see the ad, not the ad URL.
>>

> =================
> az.central.com is a valid site. It's ran by the local newspaper.
> The actual url is: http://www.azcentral.com/news/#poll.

The site doesn't refer to itself as az.central.com, it's azcentral.com.
Big difference

> Hmmm just noticed the period stuck in the middle of the name.
> The url I posted was what appeared at the top of the Netflix ad, just
> copied and pasted.

That wasn't helpful, it's the URL of the site sending you the popunder,
not the popunder itself.

I just spent a few minutes at the site and got no popunder. I don't
useadblock or the hosts file hack

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 12-08-2009 12:32 AM

Re: Damn Netflix popunders

Justin wrote:
> Arizona Willie wrote on [Mon, 07 Dec 2009 15:39:43 -0600]:
>> Justin <nospam@insightbb.com> wrote in

>> things

>> the
>>> az.central.com is an invalid site.
>>>
>>> Perhaps provide a URL of a site where you see the ad, not the ad URL.
>>>

>> =================
>> az.central.com is a valid site. It's ran by the local newspaper.
>> The actual url is: http://www.azcentral.com/news/#poll.

> The site doesn't refer to itself as az.central.com, it's azcentral.com.
> Big difference
>
>> Hmmm just noticed the period stuck in the middle of the name.
>> The url I posted was what appeared at the top of the Netflix ad, just
>> copied and pasted.

> That wasn't helpful, it's the URL of the site sending you the popunder,
> not the popunder itself.
>

> I just spent a few minutes at the site and got no popunder. I don't
> useadblock or the hosts file hack

I have to agree, I didn't see anything either, and I
don't have netflix in my hosts file.