Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Information (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f41-computer-information.html)
-   -   USB drives - eject - then what ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t707429-usb-drives-eject-then-what.html)

- Bobb - 12-02-2009 10:31 PM

USB drives - eject - then what ?
 
Suggestions ?

I just rearranged my PC desk and routed cables (to make it neat) and now it
occurred to me: I have 2 "MyBook" USB drives (500gb and 1 Tb) that do NOT
have a power off/on switch. Normally I would plug in the cables (power/usb)
when I wanted to use a drive, and disconnect when I shutdown. BUT with
things neatly wrapped up in the back, I won't be able to plug/unplug from
FRONT USB connector and I can't see the rear connections ( tower in a PC
desk), SO - the easiest way to keep drives independent is to use power strip
(with switch) for each drive - ?

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Tripp_...C-6/pf/1487604
anyone prefer another ?

I know I can right-click /eject , but if I later want to use drive, how to
tell PC to use THAT drive ? Other than to unplug drive /reconnect. I
wouldn't want to remove/reattach either cable with PC on. So I think this is
the way to go.





Jeff Strickland 12-02-2009 10:41 PM

Re: USB drives - eject - then what ?
 

"- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
news:hf6prb$cr9$1@news.eternal-september.org...
> Suggestions ?
>
> I just rearranged my PC desk and routed cables (to make it neat) and now
> it occurred to me: I have 2 "MyBook" USB drives (500gb and 1 Tb) that do
> NOT have a power off/on switch. Normally I would plug in the cables
> (power/usb) when I wanted to use a drive, and disconnect when I shutdown.
> BUT with things neatly wrapped up in the back, I won't be able to
> plug/unplug from FRONT USB connector and I can't see the rear connections
> ( tower in a PC desk), SO - the easiest way to keep drives independent is
> to use power strip (with switch) for each drive - ?
>
> http://www.superwarehouse.com/Tripp_...C-6/pf/1487604
> anyone prefer another ?
>
> I know I can right-click /eject , but if I later want to use drive, how to
> tell PC to use THAT drive ? Other than to unplug drive /reconnect. I
> wouldn't want to remove/reattach either cable with PC on. So I think this
> is the way to go.
>
>
>
>


Why have two USB drives connected at the same time? But, whatever ...

You do not eject USB drives. You find the Safely Remove icon in the tool
tray -- next to the clock -- and select the drive you want to remove. When
the drive is removed, you can unplug it and leave the cable on your desk so
it can be used to plug in the next drive when you want it.

You can leave the drives connected all of the time though. There is no
reason to unplug them if you don't want to.













- Bobb - 12-03-2009 02:55 PM

Re: USB drives - eject - then what ?
 

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:hf6qe9$g6g$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>
> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
> news:hf6prb$cr9$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>> Suggestions ?
>>
>> I just rearranged my PC desk and routed cables (to make it neat) and now
>> it occurred to me: I have 2 "MyBook" USB drives (500gb and 1 Tb) that do
>> NOT have a power off/on switch. Normally I would plug in the cables
>> (power/usb) when I wanted to use a drive, and disconnect when I shutdown.
>> BUT with things neatly wrapped up in the back, I won't be able to
>> plug/unplug from FRONT USB connector and I can't see the rear connections
>> ( tower in a PC desk), SO - the easiest way to keep drives independent is
>> to use power strip (with switch) for each drive - ?
>> anyone prefer another ?
>>
>> I know I can right-click /eject , but if I later want to use drive, how
>> to tell PC to use THAT drive ? Other than to unplug drive /reconnect. I
>> wouldn't want to remove/reattach either cable with PC on. So I think this
>> is the way to go.

>
> Why have two USB drives connected at the same time? But, whatever ...
>


They have different stuff on them - using them rather than internal to have
the portability. One has My Stuff - images , videos, backups - other used
for family pictures etc so I can bring to kin's houses to copy their recent
pix , show them others etc. SO - for a while will be on my desk and plugged
into the back of PC ( which I can't get to easily).

> You do not eject USB drives. You find the Safely Remove icon in the tool
> tray -- next to the clock -- and select the drive you want to remove. When
> the drive is removed, you can unplug it and leave the cable on your desk
> so it can be used to plug in the next drive when you want it.
>
> You can leave the drives connected all of the time though. There is no
> reason to unplug them if you don't want to.


BUT, after using the 'Safely Remove icon' to remove the drive, if 30
minutes later you find that you need something off that drive again - how to
have XP see it again ? Other than physically touching a cable ? My way was
to 'Safely Remove it' then power it off with strip - if later needed I'd
turn back on and system will notice.
My objective is - not to have to get behind PC ( requires sliding tower out
of desk to get access) and only have the drive spinning when I need it (
not often), rather than having it spinning whenever I'm on the PC.

I bought an under monitor power strip and a few 6 inch extension cords to
allow me to plug in 3 devices with "transformer connector " at the outlet
end if cord.
Works good. Now a power switch for each, so a power cycle will get XP to see
it again.



Jeff Strickland 12-03-2009 05:47 PM

Re: USB drives - eject - then what ?
 

"- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
news:hf8jgm$m5i$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>
> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:hf6qe9$g6g$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>
>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>> news:hf6prb$cr9$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>> Suggestions ?
>>>
>>> I just rearranged my PC desk and routed cables (to make it neat) and now
>>> it occurred to me: I have 2 "MyBook" USB drives (500gb and 1 Tb) that
>>> do NOT have a power off/on switch. Normally I would plug in the cables
>>> (power/usb) when I wanted to use a drive, and disconnect when I
>>> shutdown. BUT with things neatly wrapped up in the back, I won't be able
>>> to plug/unplug from FRONT USB connector and I can't see the rear
>>> connections ( tower in a PC desk), SO - the easiest way to keep drives
>>> independent is to use power strip (with switch) for each drive - ?
>>> anyone prefer another ?
>>>
>>> I know I can right-click /eject , but if I later want to use drive, how
>>> to tell PC to use THAT drive ? Other than to unplug drive /reconnect. I
>>> wouldn't want to remove/reattach either cable with PC on. So I think
>>> this is the way to go.

>>
>> Why have two USB drives connected at the same time? But, whatever ...
>>

>
> They have different stuff on them - using them rather than internal to
> have the portability. One has My Stuff - images , videos, backups - other
> used for family pictures etc so I can bring to kin's houses to copy their
> recent pix , show them others etc. SO - for a while will be on my desk
> and plugged into the back of PC ( which I can't get to easily).
>
>> You do not eject USB drives. You find the Safely Remove icon in the tool
>> tray -- next to the clock -- and select the drive you want to remove.
>> When the drive is removed, you can unplug it and leave the cable on your
>> desk so it can be used to plug in the next drive when you want it.
>>
>> You can leave the drives connected all of the time though. There is no
>> reason to unplug them if you don't want to.

>
> BUT, after using the 'Safely Remove icon' to remove the drive, if 30
> minutes later you find that you need something off that drive again - how
> to have XP see it again ?


Just plug it in.

Unplug the drive from the back of the drive and leave the cable connected to
the PC. You do not need to disconnect the cable from the PC. It's exactly
the same as having an extension cord plugged into the wall behind the
dresser and sticking out so you can plug in the vacuum or a lamp. The cord
(extension cord for electricity or for a USB device) is merely a means of
moving the hole from one place to another.

It sounds as if you might benefit from a USB Hub. This is a device that
plugs into the USB port on the back of your PC and then brings (typically)
four USB ports to the front where there is a small device that you leave on
the desk that you can plug additional USB devices into. The hub knows to
assign drive letters to the devices you connect.

USB devices are discovered as they come and go, that's the beauty of them.
Early implementations had USB ports only on the back of the PC, but it
quickly became apparent that devices would be (or might be) transient -- the
users would attach them as needed then take them away again -- and the ports
on the back of the machine were not very useful, as you have discovered. All
new machines have a variety of USB ports on the front to accomodate the many
iterations of USB device -- memory cards come in several flavors that fit
into four various sizes, and the standard USB port -- to accept these
transient devices.

Your USB drives are connected on the back where the permanant devices are
found -- printers and scanners and such that get connected and remain in
place -- but you want to remove them for any number of reasons that are all
valid.

Several options are available.
You can install a PCI card that will give even greater USB capability at the
back of your machine, if you need more capability. (this can be done for
about $25). This will give you four more USB ports at the rear of your
machine.

There are USB ports that can be installed in an unused Expansion Bay on the
front of your machine. Most machines still have extra bays where you can
install a 3.5 and 5.25 device -- the old floppy drives and CD/DVDs for
example. They make memory card readers that fit into the 3.5-inch drive bay
and plug into a PCI port on the motherboard. Depending on the reader you
select, you can have USB ports on it as well so that you can connect your
camera without taking the card out of it. There are lots of things that you
might want to connect for an hour or two, then remove, and the USB will see
them come and go automatically.

Your options are pretty much wide open. You can add additional USB ports on
the back of your machine, install new USB support to the front, or buy a USB
hub and plug it into an existing port on the back to bring that port out to
where you can use it whenever you want.

Many new monitors have a USB cable that plugs into the back of the PC, and
this makes the monitor into a hub that you can plug your transient devices
into. USB is highly versatile, but you are stuck in the stone age where you
impose your own limits that don't exist anymore. The easist thing for you to
do is to simply disconnect your external drives from the back of the drive
itself and leave the cable in place. Then when you need the drive, plug it
in again. You can use the cable with any USB device that fits on the exposed
end. The device will report itself to the machine, and make itself ready to
use. When you are done using it, Safely Remove it so the USB port will be
prepared to accept the next device you want to plug in.





Other than physically touching a cable ? My way was
> to 'Safely Remove it' then power it off with strip - if later needed I'd
> turn back on and system will notice.
> My objective is - not to have to get behind PC ( requires sliding tower
> out of desk to get access) and only have the drive spinning when I need
> it ( not often), rather than having it spinning whenever I'm on the PC.
>
> I bought an under monitor power strip and a few 6 inch extension cords to
> allow me to plug in 3 devices with "transformer connector " at the outlet
> end if cord.
> Works good. Now a power switch for each, so a power cycle will get XP to
> see it again.
>
>


Merely connecting a USB device will cause XP to see it.







- Bobb - 12-03-2009 07:59 PM

Re: USB drives - eject - then what ?
 

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:hf8tka$r1m$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>>> news:hf6prb$cr9$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>>> Suggestions ?
>>>>
>>>> I just rearranged my PC desk and routed cables (to make it neat) and
>>>> now it occurred to me: I have 2 "MyBook" USB drives (500gb and 1 Tb)
>>>> that do NOT have a power off/on switch. Normally I would plug in the
>>>> cables (power/usb) when I wanted to use a drive, and disconnect when I
>>>> shutdown. BUT with things neatly wrapped up in the back, I won't be
>>>> able to plug/unplug from FRONT USB connector and I can't see the rear
>>>> connections ( tower in a PC desk), SO - the easiest way to keep drives
>>>> independent is to use power strip (with switch) for each drive - ?
>>>> anyone prefer another ?
>>>>
>>>> I know I can right-click /eject , but if I later want to use drive, how
>>>> to tell PC to use THAT drive ? Other than to unplug drive /reconnect.
>>>> I wouldn't want to remove/reattach either cable with PC on. So I think
>>>> this is the way to go.
>>>
>>> Why have two USB drives connected at the same time? But, whatever ...
>>>

>>
>> They have different stuff on them - using them rather than internal to
>> have the portability. One has My Stuff - images , videos, backups - other
>> used for family pictures etc so I can bring to kin's houses to copy their
>> recent pix , show them others etc. SO - for a while will be on my desk
>> and plugged into the back of PC ( which I can't get to easily).
>>
>>> You do not eject USB drives. You find the Safely Remove icon in the tool
>>> tray -- next to the clock -- and select the drive you want to remove.
>>> When the drive is removed, you can unplug it and leave the cable on your
>>> desk so it can be used to plug in the next drive when you want it.
>>>
>>> You can leave the drives connected all of the time though. There is no
>>> reason to unplug them if you don't want to.

>>
>> BUT, after using the 'Safely Remove icon' to remove the drive, if 30
>> minutes later you find that you need something off that drive again - how
>> to have XP see it again ?

>
> Just plug it in.
>

Jeff you had asked , "why disconnect?" and I told you why. What I want to do
is leave them on my desk and NOT unplug/plug in.

> Unplug the drive from the back of the drive and leave the cable connected
> to the PC. You do not need to disconnect the cable from the PC. It's
> exactly the same as having an extension cord plugged into the wall behind
> the dresser and sticking out so you can plug in the vacuum or a lamp. The
> cord (extension cord for electricity or for a USB device) is merely a
> means of moving the hole from one place to another.


With 1.5 tb of data on those drives, I don't want to leave the AC on and
simply connect a data cable. I'd like the drive powered off before messing
with data ( if only to avoid static zap on data ) I always connect power at
wall last, and always connect cables at device end first. I've seen a lot of
hardware blown from people connecting devices with power on. Maybe I'm being
too cautious but I'm comfortable playing it safe.
Thanks

> It sounds as if you might benefit from a USB Hub. This is a device that
> plugs into the USB port on the back of your PC and then brings (typically)
> four USB ports to the front where there is a small device that you leave
> on the desk that you can plug additional USB devices into. The hub knows
> to assign drive letters to the devices you connect.
>
> USB devices are discovered as they come and go, that's the beauty of them.
> Early implementations had USB ports only on the back of the PC, but it
> quickly became apparent that devices would be (or might be) transient --
> the users would attach them as needed then take them away again -- and the
> ports on the back of the machine were not very useful, as you have
> discovered. All new machines have a variety of USB ports on the front to
> accomodate the many iterations of USB device -- memory cards come in
> several flavors that fit into four various sizes, and the standard USB
> port -- to accept these transient devices.
>
> Your USB drives are connected on the back where the permanant devices are
> found -- printers and scanners and such that get connected and remain in
> place -- but you want to remove them for any number of reasons that are
> all valid.
>
> Several options are available.
> You can install a PCI card that will give even greater USB capability at
> the back of your machine, if you need more capability. (this can be done
> for about $25). This will give you four more USB ports at the rear of your
> machine.
>
> There are USB ports that can be installed in an unused Expansion Bay on
> the front of your machine. Most machines still have extra bays where you
> can install a 3.5 and 5.25 device -- the old floppy drives and CD/DVDs for
> example. They make memory card readers that fit into the 3.5-inch drive
> bay and plug into a PCI port on the motherboard. Depending on the reader
> you select, you can have USB ports on it as well so that you can connect
> your camera without taking the card out of it. There are lots of things
> that you might want to connect for an hour or two, then remove, and the
> USB will see them come and go automatically.
>
> Your options are pretty much wide open. You can add additional USB ports
> on the back of your machine, install new USB support to the front, or buy
> a USB hub and plug it into an existing port on the back to bring that port
> out to where you can use it whenever you want.
>
> Many new monitors have a USB cable that plugs into the back of the PC, and
> this makes the monitor into a hub that you can plug your transient devices
> into. USB is highly versatile, but you are stuck in the stone age where
> you impose your own limits that don't exist anymore. The easist thing for
> you to do is to simply disconnect your external drives from the back of
> the drive itself and leave the cable in place. Then when you need the
> drive, plug it in again. You can use the cable with any USB device that
> fits on the exposed end. The device will report itself to the machine, and
> make itself ready to use. When you are done using it, Safely Remove it so
> the USB port will be prepared to accept the next device you want to plug
> in.
>
>
>> Other than physically touching a cable ? My way was
>> to 'Safely Remove it' then power it off with strip - if later needed I'd
>> turn back on and system will notice.
>> My objective is - not to have to get behind PC ( requires sliding tower
>> out of desk to get access) and only have the drive spinning when I need
>> it ( not often), rather than having it spinning whenever I'm on the PC.
>>
>> I bought an under monitor power strip and a few 6 inch extension cords to
>> allow me to plug in 3 devices with "transformer connector " at the outlet
>> end if cord.
>> Works good. Now a power switch for each, so a power cycle will get XP to
>> see it again.
>>
>>

>
> Merely connecting a USB device will cause XP to see it.
>
>
>
>
>
>




Jeff Strickland 12-04-2009 12:24 AM

Re: USB drives - eject - then what ?
 

"- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
news:hf6prb$cr9$1@news.eternal-september.org...
> Suggestions ?
>
> I just rearranged my PC desk and routed cables (to make it neat) and now
> it occurred to me: I have 2 "MyBook" USB drives (500gb and 1 Tb) that do
> NOT have a power off/on switch. Normally I would plug in the cables
> (power/usb) when I wanted to use a drive, and disconnect when I shutdown.
> BUT with things neatly wrapped up in the back, I won't be able to
> plug/unplug from FRONT USB connector and I can't see the rear connections
> ( tower in a PC desk), SO - the easiest way to keep drives independent is
> to use power strip (with switch) for each drive - ?
>
> http://www.superwarehouse.com/Tripp_...C-6/pf/1487604
> anyone prefer another ?
>
> I know I can right-click /eject , but if I later want to use drive, how to
> tell PC to use THAT drive ? Other than to unplug drive /reconnect. I
> wouldn't want to remove/reattach either cable with PC on. So I think this
> is the way to go.
>


Your premise is wrong here.
1.) you do not Eject, you Safely Remove, these are different operations and
the distinction is important
2.) when safely removed, you can simply unplug the drive(s)
3.) you can leave the cables in place, there is no reason to reach behind
the machine to unplug them
4.) when you reconnect the external drive, it will be named whatever is the
next available drive letter
5.) you can leave the external drives connected and powered up all of the
time and access them just like any other storage device






JD 12-04-2009 12:45 AM

Re: USB drives - eject - then what ?
 
Jeff Strickland wrote:

>
> Your premise is wrong here.
> 1.) you do not Eject, you Safely Remove, these are different operations and
> the distinction is important


On win7 (and probably vista also) there is no Safely Remove, it has been
replaced with Eject which does the same as the old "Safely Remove
Hardwear" option, its more user friendly this way and saves me having to
explain to people why the file they copied to there thumb drive is not
on the thumb drive (well probably not, but fingers crosseed).

Bob: Cant think of a way to un-eject a device without unplugging and
plugging in again, don't even think it's possible according to the
device information:
"Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared
for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)

To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug
it in again."

I know where your coming from on this one I to use external hard drive
storage that is only turned on when I'm accessing the device's however
mine have power buttons

Powering off or unplugging is your only option I think, unless you want
to use a power strip or buy new Enclosure's.

JD

Paul 12-04-2009 01:02 AM

Re: USB drives - eject - then what ?
 
JD wrote:
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>
>>
>> Your premise is wrong here.
>> 1.) you do not Eject, you Safely Remove, these are different
>> operations and the distinction is important

>
> On win7 (and probably vista also) there is no Safely Remove, it has been
> replaced with Eject which does the same as the old "Safely Remove
> Hardwear" option, its more user friendly this way and saves me having to
> explain to people why the file they copied to there thumb drive is not
> on the thumb drive (well probably not, but fingers crosseed).
>
> Bob: Cant think of a way to un-eject a device without unplugging and
> plugging in again, don't even think it's possible according to the
> device information:
> "Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared
> for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code
> 47)
>
> To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug
> it in again."
>
> I know where your coming from on this one I to use external hard drive
> storage that is only turned on when I'm accessing the device's however
> mine have power buttons
>
> Powering off or unplugging is your only option I think, unless you want
> to use a power strip or buy new Enclosure's.
>
> JD


Could you cook up a recipe with "devcon" ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272

Devcon is used extensively in these scripts. Using Devcon
probably won't fix the "code 47", but it might be worth
playing with.

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php

Paul

Jeff Strickland 12-04-2009 01:58 AM

Re: USB drives - eject - then what ?
 

"JD" <No.Reply@sorry.com> wrote in message
news:4b185bc1$0$2483$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk...
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>
>>
>> Your premise is wrong here.
>> 1.) you do not Eject, you Safely Remove, these are different operations
>> and the distinction is important

>
> On win7 (and probably vista also) there is no Safely Remove, it has been
> replaced with Eject which does the same as the old "Safely Remove
> Hardwear" option, its more user friendly this way and saves me having to
> explain to people why the file they copied to there thumb drive is not on
> the thumb drive (well probably not, but fingers crosseed).
>


My XP has Eject for the USB drives, and it is not the way to remove a USB
drive. I'll have to check my Vista box to see if there is a Safely Remove,
but my recollection is that there is one.




> Bob: Cant think of a way to un-eject a device without unplugging and
> plugging in again, don't even think it's possible according to the device
> information:
> "Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for
> "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)
>
> To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug
> it in again."
>
> I know where your coming from on this one I to use external hard drive
> storage that is only turned on when I'm accessing the device's however
> mine have power buttons
>
> Powering off or unplugging is your only option I think, unless you want to
> use a power strip or buy new Enclosure's.
>
> JD


What's the point of Ejecting the drive, or Safely Removing it, only to leave
it connected to the machine? If you're going to leave it connected, leave it
connected and do not Eject or Safely Remove. Plug it in and leave it alone.







JD 12-04-2009 02:00 AM

Re: USB drives - eject - then what ?
 
Paul wrote:
> JD wrote:
>> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Your premise is wrong here.
>>> 1.) you do not Eject, you Safely Remove, these are different
>>> operations and the distinction is important

>>
>> On win7 (and probably vista also) there is no Safely Remove, it has
>> been replaced with Eject which does the same as the old "Safely Remove
>> Hardwear" option, its more user friendly this way and saves me having
>> to explain to people why the file they copied to there thumb drive is
>> not on the thumb drive (well probably not, but fingers crosseed).
>>
>> Bob: Cant think of a way to un-eject a device without unplugging and
>> plugging in again, don't even think it's possible according to the
>> device information:
>> "Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared
>> for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer.
>> (Code 47)
>>
>> To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then
>> plug it in again."
>>
>> I know where your coming from on this one I to use external hard drive
>> storage that is only turned on when I'm accessing the device's however
>> mine have power buttons
>>
>> Powering off or unplugging is your only option I think, unless you
>> want to use a power strip or buy new Enclosure's.
>>
>> JD

>
> Could you cook up a recipe with "devcon" ?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272
>
> Devcon is used extensively in these scripts. Using Devcon
> probably won't fix the "code 47", but it might be worth
> playing with.
>
> http://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php
>
> Paul


That's an interesting find.

Just been playing around with it, can list my devices, check the status,
get the PID's and hwID's but it will not let me remove them or restart
them (Remove Failed, Restart Failed,Disable Failed) , will need to check
it on xp see if it works there.

JD



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.