Velocity Reviews

-   -   Google Chrome OS Review (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t706781-google-chrome-os-review.html)

Ian 11-27-2009 11:27 AM

Google Chrome OS Review

IT PRO take a look at the new Google Chrome OS, which gives readers a good preview of what you can expect:

Quote:

Last week, Google surprised many by unveiling its Chrome OS, giving a glimpse of how it would look and more details about how it will work.

However, it revealed that Chrome OS would only be made available on specially designed hardware, and these wouldn't be available to buy until Christmas – in 2010. However, Chrome OS is an open source project and in line with that Google did release the source code. Enterprising individuals then went ahead and created a compiled version of the OS – enabling users to download and run a working OS on their machines in a virtual machine.

It’s not quite the same as running it on native hardware, particularly as speed is concerned but it is a way of getting a flavour of what it’s about. Since then, a version that runs directly from a USB key has also been made available, which should offer a more realistic ‘native hardware’ experience. So far we’ve only had time to try the virtual machine-based version, but we’ll update this once we’ve got the USB version working.
Read the article here.