Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows 7 search doesn't work (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t706717-windows-7-search-doesnt-work.html)

Jon Mitchell 11-26-2009 11:25 PM

Windows 7 search doesn't work

Hi,

Windows Search doesn't work on my Windows 7 Professional x64. It will find
files on the Start menu fine, but when I try to get it to find anything in
the folders I have configured it to search, nothing. I have to search the
computer to find them. This shouldn't be thought. The folders I have set for
the computer to search are also included in my libraries - at least, most
of them are. So, when I search a file I know to be in one of my libraries,
it should be included in the libraries search - but it isn't.

Only 3,655 files are indexed altogether. I actually have at least 10,000
that should be indexed, taking into account all of my Music, Video and mage
files.

I have altered my index file path to another drive. And I have rebuild my
index about 10 times, but nothing happens. I have disabled and then
re-enable Windows Index via the 'Turn Windows Features on or off' within the
Control Panel, but nothing has worked.

Any idea how I can actually get my Index to perform as it should?

Thanks.

--
BadHead :)
---

OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
Office Suite: Microsoft Office 2003 Professional SP3

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair (BIOS Revision: 1103)
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core 9850 Black Edition
RAM: 8Gb
GPU: Asus ENGTX280 nVidia 280
HDD: 2.50TB (Over 5 SATAII Western Digital HDD's)
===

mikeyhsd 11-27-2009 12:07 AM

Re: Windows 7 search doesn't work

use Index options in Control Panel and Modify tab near the bottom to select different search locations.

mikeyhsd@hotmail.com

R. C. White 11-27-2009 03:41 PM

Re: Windows 7 search doesn't work

Hi, Jon.

All I can do is empathize. I can't help much. :>(

The MS team that writes the Search and Indexing apps just don't think like I
do, it seems. My Indexing Options show that I have over 3.5 MILLION items
indexed - and I still can't find most of the things I search for. :>(

The Search box works fine to start programs, but as for finding messages
about people or places that I KNOW are in my files, it is useless. It does
not work at all for .pub (Microsoft Publisher) files, and poorly for .eml
and .nws files - and those are the files that I most need and want to
search!

As for the Index, after some tribulations, I did get it stored on a separate
volume (Index (I:)) that I created for that purpose. That 40 GB volume now
has 30 GB in the Search folder - and it still can't find things I'm looking
for!

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA