Velocity Reviews

-   -   Intermittent failure to boot after HP upgrade to 7 64 bit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t706601-intermittent-failure-to-boot-after-hp-upgrade-to-7-64-bit.html)

Vampire13 11-26-2009 05:39 AM

Intermittent failure to boot after HP upgrade to 7 64 bit

Since doing the upgrade every few days my system fails to boot and I
have to go through the auto repair function. Usually it ends in a
message asking me if I want to use system restore. Sometimes it works
and other times I just shut down and restart. Has anyone else out there
had this problem? If so have you found a cause?

Also, I find 7 to be insanely slow to boot, VistaX64 was much faster and
I never had startup problems. Thanks for any suggestions.

BTW, I posted this message to another group (alt.windows7.general) but
before I got any response the group disappeared from this news server.
Hopefully this one will stay active.

Dominic Payer 11-26-2009 11:08 AM

Re: Intermittent failure to boot after HP upgrade to 7 64 bit

Sometimes, upgraded installations do not work well. I think this is your
problem, unless you need to install some machine specific drivers for
Windows 7.

I recommend you back up your data and do a clean install of Windows 7.

Dave \Crash\ Dummy 11-26-2009 12:16 PM

Vampire13 wrote:
> Since doing the upgrade every few days my system fails to boot and I
> have to go through the auto repair function. Usually it ends in a
> message asking me if I want to use system restore. Sometimes it works
> and other times I just shut down and restart. Has anyone else out
> there had this problem? If so have you found a cause?

Yes. I don't know what the cause is. I did a clean (custom) install
initially, and an upgrade install since, but it still fails to boot on
occasion and goes through that repair business.

> Also, I find 7 to be insanely slow to boot, VistaX64 was much faster
> and I never had startup problems. Thanks for any suggestions.

For me, it is much faster than Vista.

> BTW, I posted this message to another group (alt.windows7.general)
> but before I got any response the group disappeared from this news
> server. Hopefully this one will stay active.

alt.windows7.general was never on this news server (news.microsoft.com).
It is a Usenet group, it is alive and well, and I see your post there.
--
Crash

"Update" and "upgrade" are not synonyms.

R. C. White 11-26-2009 03:52 PM

Re: Intermittent failure to boot after HP upgrade to 7 64 bit

Hi, Vampire13.

> BTW, I posted this message to another group (alt.windows7.general) but
> before I got any response the group disappeared from this news server.
> Hopefully this one will stay active.

THIS newsgroup, like all Microsoft public newsgroups, is hosted on the
Microsoft public news server, which is free and does not require a logon.
It can be reached via your default newsreader (OE/WM/WLM or a third-party
app like Thunderbird) by simply clicking:

These are Usenet newsgroups and can be mirrored (or "slurped") freely by
just about anybody. MANY "forums" relay messages to and from here; many
present them as their own original content.

Many Usenet news servers also mirror some of the 2,000+ newsgroups available
here, but some servers mirror only a few of them. I'm not sure which news
server you are using, but one line of the headers for your post says:

As Crash said, the alt.windows7.general NG is a Usenet NG hosted on some
other news server, NOT by Microsoft. Your ISP or other Usenet newsgroup
provided may or may not carry that NG. Perhaps they carried for a time but
have recently discontinued it. That NG is still available on the news
server that my ISP includes in my monthly subscription, so I see your post
there - with two replies, from Canuck57 and Dave-UK. Perhaps you should
contact your ISP or other news provider and ask that this Win7 NG be
reinstated. Otherwise, you'll need to search for another Usenet news
server. (When I Google or Bing for "free news server" I get well over
100,000 hits.)

As you probably know, Microsoft has made it pretty clear that all
peer-to-peer support hosted by MS will be in "forums", not in newsgroups.
Many users, including many MVPs - and definitely including myself! - are
unhappy about this decision - but our protests are falling on deaf ears.
:>(

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Vampire13 11-26-2009 08:23 PM

R. C. White wrote:

> Hi, Vampire13.
>
>> BTW, I posted this message to another group (alt.windows7.general) but
>> before I got any response the group disappeared from this news server.
>> Hopefully this one will stay active.

> THIS newsgroup, like all Microsoft public newsgroups, is hosted on the
> Microsoft public news server, which is free and does not require a
> logon. It can be reached via your default newsreader (OE/WM/WLM or a
> third-party app like Thunderbird) by simply clicking:
>
> These are Usenet newsgroups and can be mirrored (or "slurped") freely by
> just about anybody. MANY "forums" relay messages to and from here; many
> present them as their own original content.
>
> Many Usenet news servers also mirror some of the 2,000+ newsgroups
> available here, but some servers mirror only a few of them. I'm not sure
> which news server you are using, but one line of the headers for your
> post says:
>
> As Crash said, the alt.windows7.general NG is a Usenet NG hosted on some
> other news server, NOT by Microsoft. Your ISP or other Usenet newsgroup
> provided may or may not carry that NG. Perhaps they carried for a time
> but have recently discontinued it. That NG is still available on the
> news server that my ISP includes in my monthly subscription, so I see
> your post there - with two replies, from Canuck57 and Dave-UK. Perhaps
> you should contact your ISP or other news provider and ask that this
> Win7 NG be reinstated. Otherwise, you'll need to search for another
> Usenet news server. (When I Google or Bing for "free news server" I get
> well over 100,000 hits.)
>
> As you probably know, Microsoft has made it pretty clear that all
> peer-to-peer support hosted by MS will be in "forums", not in
> newsgroups. Many users, including many MVPs - and definitely including
> myself! - are unhappy about this decision - but our protests are falling
> on deaf ears. :>(
>
> RC

Thanks to all of you for the quick response and BTW, Happy Thanksgiving
to all!!

It seems like it would be prudent for me to wait and see if the boot
problem persists. I really hate stripping everything to do the clean
install. Especially if it doesn't always work.

As for the news server, I meant my access through Cox Cable. I actually
subscribed to the alt.windows7.general from this Cox access, posted the
message, saw it come up on my screen and closed my browser. Later, when
I signed on again I got the message that the group did not exist on this
server. That's when I searched for this group and subscribed. It has
been a while since I looked in on news groups and my fuzzy old brain
can't remember how everything works. Perhaps one of you could inform me
about how to subscribe to a Usenet server.

I appreciate the help.

Vampire13 (Ed for short)

Dave \Crash\ Dummy 11-26-2009 09:33 PM

Re: Intermittent failure to boot after HP upgrade to 7 64 bit

> As you probably know, Microsoft has made it pretty clear that all
> peer-to-peer support hosted by MS will be in "forums", not in
> newsgroups. Many users, including many MVPs - and definitely
> including myself! - are unhappy about this decision - but our
> protests are falling on deaf ears. :>(

Yes, and it really sucks. I don't like web based forums, at all. I
especially don't like that I have to get a "Live ID." Next thing you
know they'll want me to wear a yellow star and have a serial number
tattooed on my wrist. I just want to use the software. I don't want to
be assimilated into the Microsoft collective

--
Crash

English is not my native tongue; I'm an American.

Bobby Johnson 11-26-2009 09:59 PM

Re: Intermittent failure to boot after HP upgrade to 7 64 bit

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!!

Dave \Crash\ Dummy 11-26-2009 10:00 PM

Re: Intermittent failure to boot after HP upgrade to 7 64 bit

> As you probably know, Microsoft has made it pretty clear that all
> peer-to-peer support hosted by MS will be in "forums", not in
> newsgroups. Many users, including many MVPs - and definitely
> including myself! - are unhappy about this decision - but our
> protests are falling on deaf ears. :>(

Yes, and it really sucks. I don't like web based forums, at all. I
especially don't like that I have to get a "Live ID." I just want to use
the software. I don't want to be assimilated into the Microsoft collective.

--
Crash

Life is short. Eat dessert first.

Bill 11-27-2009 01:24 AM

Re: Intermittent failure to boot after HP upgrade to 7 64 bit

AYBABTU

R. C. White 11-27-2009 03:10 PM

Re: Intermittent failure to boot after HP upgrade to 7 64 bit

Hi, Ed.

> can't remember how everything works. Perhaps one of you could inform me
> about how to subscribe to a Usenet server.

First, of course, you have to find out the news server's URL. Then, in
OE/WM/WLM (the only newsreaders I know about these days), just click Tool |
Accounts | Add | Newsgroup account...and follow your nose. The only screen
that matters is where you type the address of your NNTP server. Mine is
news.grandecom.net, but that won't do you any good; you'll need the Cox
server's URL. My server does not require me to logon; if yours does, you'll
need your account name and password.

We'll see you (again) soon at alt.windows7.general ;<)

RC