Velocity Reviews

-   -   Multiboot setup with windows 7 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t706198-multiboot-setup-with-windows-7-a.html)

spock 11-22-2009 04:46 PM

Multiboot setup with windows 7

Hello All

I have multi boot setup in the begining I had two copies of XP X64 which are drive C: and
D: then I installed Vista but that called installation called the drive C: I wanted it to
be E: but how Do I do that and want to put windows 7 on if I ever get it to work.
I would like replace vista with with windows 7 but want to be drive E: it this possible.

I had problems with Vista until I updated the bios and it seems to be ok now. I just can
not can not get windows 7 to install.
I just can not understand why the bsod does not stay long enough to read it, so you can
find what the error is.

I just don't know what to try next.

Lee

Carlos 11-22-2009 07:44 PM

RE: Multiboot setup with windows 7

spock,
Every time you want to keep your current partition/drive lettering, start
Vista (or Win 7) installation from inside the OS and not from "outside" (by
booting off the DVD).
That way Vista (or Win 7) will keep your current partition letters.
Carlos

R. C. White 11-23-2009 10:33 PM

Re: Multiboot setup with windows 7

Hi, Lee.

Easy question first...The default setting for what to do in case of System
Failure is to Automatically restart. So, when the BSOD appears, the
computer immediately reboots before there is time to read the screen. One
of the first things I do when installing Windows is to change that default!
Go to System Properties | Advanced System Settings (you'll need
Administrator credentials for this) | Advanced | Startup and Recovery /
Settings. Then just UNcheck the Automatically restart box. Next time, the
BSOD will stay onscreen until YOU push the Reset button, giving you all the
time you need to read it and copy down the Stop Code and other information
there.

Now to the drive letters: These shift like drifting sands when we reboot to
a different Windows installation. So it's best to give each volume a NAME
(a label), which will be written to the disk and will not change when we
reboot from Vista to Win7 and back. As Carlos said, Vista changed from the
WinXP method of assigning drive letters at Setup.

When we boot from the DVD to run Setup, it has no idea what letters may
already have been assigned, so it starts by assigning C: to its own Boot
Volume (which is NOT what most of us think of as the boot volume! See KB
314470.), which might be the 3rd partition on the second HDD. Then it
assigns the next letter (D:, unless we are installing into the System
Partition) to the System Volume, typically the first partition on the first
HDD and traditionally thought of as Drive C:. No matter which partition we
choose to install Windows into, the few updated startup files must always be
in the System Partition - and Windows doesn't care what its drive letter
might be.

To preserve Vista's existing drive letters, we must boot into Vista and then
insert the Win7 DVD and run Setup from there so that it can "see" and
inherit the existing letters. Later, of course, we can use Disk Management
to change any of the drive letters EXCEPT the Boot and System Volumes; the
only way to change these is to run Setup again - that is, to reinstall
Windows.

To see which drives have which letters and which status (Boot, System, etc.)
in EACH OS, boot into each and run Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc).

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Master Lee 11-26-2009 12:56 AM

Re: Multiboot setup with windows 7

Thanks
I have just found out what may be the reason why Windows 7 will not install
it seems according the Supermicro website my motherboard C2SBX does not support
Windows 7
what a wasted effort.

Thanks

R. C. White 11-26-2009 03:56 AM

Re: Multiboot setup with windows 7

Hi, Lee.

I'm sorry you can't use Win7 on that computer. But thanks for the feedback
so that we know about the problem.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

John John - MVP 11-26-2009 12:00 PM

Re: Multiboot setup with windows 7

What? Why would they then have drivers for for Windows 7 available for it!

John

Dominic Payer 11-26-2009 12:22 PM

Re: Multiboot setup with windows 7

The Supermicro compatibility chart
http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/OS/C2.cfm only shows that
they have not tested and confirmed compatibility. They only show results
for the Windows 7 RC anyway.

The board specs
http://www.supermicro.com/products/m.../X38/C2SBX.cfm
suggest that Windows 7 should run perfectly well.

Master Lee 11-26-2009 02:18 PM

Re: Multiboot setup with windows 7

Well I have been trying for the last 2 weeks to install Windows 7 and ever time it comes
to reboot after the files are copied to the hard drive and it crashes. I have given up!
My configiration as follows

C2SBX motherboard cpu intel Q6700 I have tried Gskil and Apagee GT 4gB DDR3
Adaptec 48300 HA Gigabyte HD4550 Video card Leadtek DVR3200H tv tuner card
and Adaptec says there are drivers in Window for the 48300 card

I have Windows XP X64 and Vista business X64 on different drives which work ok
I have tried to install Windows 7 on both SAS and SATA drives and reformated them
every time. Do you know how long it takes to format a 300gB sas drive slow
format. Now you tell me it is not the motherboard!!!! Why does it work ok on
Windows XP X64 and Vista X64 but not Windows 7 Give me a logical argument.
I even tried to upgrade Vista and it rolled back the upgrade.
BTW I contacted Supermicro who have not replied yet.

Dominic Payer 11-26-2009 02:53 PM

Re: Multiboot setup with windows 7

There is a BIOS update which might make a difference if you have not
already applied it.

When installing Windows 7 you should install on empty space and let the
installation routine format the drive. This lets the installer create a
100MB partition for its boot files. The format is a quick format - full
formats with disk surface tests take far too long to be acceptable.

Try removing one of the memory modules.

Sometimes there are problems with a motherboard and particular versions
of disk firmware. I can find no reports of that but your board is not a
very common one.

Dennis Pack 11-26-2009 02:59 PM

Re: Multiboot setup with windows 7

Lee:
With the installation rolling back after copying files is an
indication that there are no drivers for the Adaptec 48300 HA, verify that
you have the Win-7 drivers on a disk or pen drive for installation. Have a
great day.

--
Dennis Pack
Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4639 (20091126) __________

http://www.eset.com