Velocity Reviews

-   -   Network connection question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t705537-network-connection-question.html)

Donchano 11-17-2009 12:03 AM

Network connection question

OS: XPpro

I've been able to set up a Network connection using a cable between my
PC and laptop. But I cannot figure out how to set up a connection
between my PC (which is conncected to a modem/router) and my laptop's
wireless.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

TIA

impossible 11-17-2009 01:44 AM

Re: Network connection question

"Donchano" <donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote in message

> OS: XPpro
>
> I've been able to set up a Network connection using a cable between my
> PC and laptop. But I cannot figure out how to set up a connection
> between my PC (which is conncected to a modem/router) and my laptop's
> wireless.
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.

You need to connect a wireless access point to your modem/router. Software
supplied with the access point should help you to establish a secure link to
your laptop.

Donchano 11-17-2009 04:16 AM

Re: Network connection question

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 01:44:49 GMT, "impossible" <impossible@nospam.net>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>"Donchano" <donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> OS: XPpro
>>
>> I've been able to set up a Network connection using a cable between my
>> PC and laptop. But I cannot figure out how to set up a connection
>> between my PC (which is conncected to a modem/router) and my laptop's
>> wireless.
>>
>> Any pointers would be appreciated.
>>

>You need to connect a wireless access point to your modem/router. Software
>supplied with the access point should help you to establish a secure link to
>your laptop.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I have no problem connecting to the wireless
modem/router. What I cannot figure out is how to create a Network link
between my PC (cabled into the modem/router) and my laptop (wireless).

I already have a network set up between my laptop and PC, but that is
a cable/cable to modem/router and not a wireless Network connection.

Donchano 11-17-2009 04:17 AM

Re: Network connection question

On 17 Nov 2009 16:27:45 +1200, vitw <nospam@somewhere.com> shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:03:54 +1300, Donchano wrote:
>
>> OS: XPpro
>>
>> I've been able to set up a Network connection using a cable between my
>> PC and laptop. But I cannot figure out how to set up a connection
>> between my PC (which is conncected to a modem/router) and my laptop's
>> wireless.
>>
>> Any pointers would be appreciated.

>I haven't handled this exact scenario before, but I can think of a couple
>of things to check.
>
>Maybe the simplest way to do it would be to assign static IP addresses
>for the PC and laptop on the wired LAN connection. Within the PC, declare
>the laptop's IP address as the gateway. Then, within the laptop, set up
>PC connection sharing, and set up a rule allowing your PC (identified by
>its static IP) to access the internet through the laptop's wireless
>network.

Many thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to digest all that first and
see if I can apply it tomorrow.

impossible 11-17-2009 04:24 AM

impossible 11-17-2009 04:35 AM

Re: Network connection question

"Donchano" <donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote in message

> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 01:44:49 GMT, "impossible" <impossible@nospam.net>
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>

>>"Donchano" <donchano@notachance.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> OS: XPpro
>>>
>>> I've been able to set up a Network connection using a cable between my
>>> PC and laptop. But I cannot figure out how to set up a connection
>>> between my PC (which is conncected to a modem/router) and my laptop's
>>> wireless.
>>>
>>> Any pointers would be appreciated.
>>>

>>You need to connect a wireless access point to your modem/router. Software
>>supplied with the access point should help you to establish a secure link
>>your laptop.

> Maybe I wasn't clear. I have no problem connecting to the wireless
> modem/router. What I cannot figure out is how to create a Network link
> between my PC (cabled into the modem/router) and my laptop (wireless).
>
> I already have a network set up between my laptop and PC, but that is
> a cable/cable to modem/router and not a wireless Network connection.

Run the wireless network wizard. Check that you've assigned the shared
security key to all hardware devices.