Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Python (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f43-python.html)
-   -   Linux, Python 2.5.2, serverless binding LDAP? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t705112-linux-python-2-5-2-serverless-binding-ldap.html)

Kevin Cole 11-13-2009 12:47 AM

Linux, Python 2.5.2, serverless binding LDAP?
 
Hi,

I recently asked our IT department how to gain access to an
addressbook. After carefully explaining that I was on a Linux system
using Python, I got the reply:

"You should use our LDAP. With LDAP you can pull any data you want
from Active Directory. On our network, the serverless binding address
for our LDAP is ldap://dc=...,dc=...,dc=...,dc=..."

with the actual "..." filled in.

I don't know squat about LDAP, but installed the python-ldap deb, and
started glancing at the documentation on-line. I didn't see anything
obvious for working with the URI above. Can I work w/ it? If so, a
short example, please?

Thanx.


alex23 11-13-2009 01:01 AM

Re: Linux, Python 2.5.2, serverless binding LDAP?
 
On Nov 13, 10:47*am, Kevin Cole <dc.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently asked our IT department how to gain access to an
> addressbook. *After carefully explaining that I was on a Linux system
> using Python, I got the reply:
>
> "You should use our LDAP. With LDAP you can pull any data you want
> from Active Directory. On our network, the serverless binding address
> for our LDAP is ldap://dc=...,dc=...,dc=...,dc=..."
>
> with the actual "..." filled in.
>
> I don't know squat about LDAP, but installed the python-ldap deb, and
> started glancing at the documentation on-line. I didn't see anything
> obvious for working with the URI above. *Can I work w/ it? *If so, a
> short example, please?
>
> Thanx.


http://www.python-ldap.org/doc/html/...l.html#example

Kevin Cole 11-13-2009 01:27 AM

Re: Linux, Python 2.5.2, serverless binding LDAP?
 
On Nov 12, 8:01*pm, alex23 <wuwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 13, 10:47*am, Kevin Cole <dc.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Hi,

>
> > I recently asked our IT department how to gain access to an
> > addressbook. *After carefully explaining that I was on a Linux system
> > using Python, I got the reply:

>
> > "You should use our LDAP. With LDAP you can pull any data you want
> > from Active Directory. On our network, the serverless binding address
> > for our LDAP is ldap://dc=...,dc=...,dc=...,dc=..."

>
> > with the actual "..." filled in.

>
> > I don't know squat about LDAP, but installed the python-ldap deb, and
> > started glancing at the documentation on-line. I didn't see anything
> > obvious for working with the URI above. *Can I work w/ it? *If so, a
> > short example, please?

>
> > Thanx.

>
> http://www.python-ldap.org/doc/html/...l.html#example


Ah, it wasn't clear to me that "localhost:1389" meant serverless.
Armed with that, I'm off to experiment.

Thanks.

Kevin Cole 11-13-2009 01:39 AM

Re: Linux, Python 2.5.2, serverless binding LDAP?
 
On Nov 12, 8:01*pm, alex23 <wuwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 13, 10:47*am, Kevin Cole <dc.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Hi,

>
> > I recently asked our IT department how to gain access to an
> > addressbook. *After carefully explaining that I was on a Linux system
> > using Python, I got the reply:

>
> > "You should use our LDAP. With LDAP you can pull any data you want
> > from Active Directory. On our network, the serverless binding address
> > for our LDAP is ldap://dc=...,dc=...,dc=...,dc=..."

>
> > with the actual "..." filled in.

>
> > I don't know squat about LDAP, but installed the python-ldap deb, and
> > started glancing at the documentation on-line. I didn't see anything
> > obvious for working with the URI above. *Can I work w/ it? *If so, a
> > short example, please?

>
> > Thanx.

>
> http://www.python-ldap.org/doc/html/...l.html#example


On second thought... That didn't help at all. The example just shows
how to parse a URI. I'm trying to connect to a service (if I
understand correctly) that is NOT on my Linux box, but somewhere out
in our IT department's ether, and I do not have host/domain to work
with. I interpreted "serverless binding" to mean that I was
connecting by some means other than host.domain:port. Yes?

Michael Ströder 11-13-2009 10:04 AM

Re: Linux, Python 2.5.2, serverless binding LDAP?
 
Kevin Cole wrote:
> On Nov 12, 8:01 pm, alex23 <wuwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 13, 10:47 am, Kevin Cole <dc.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I recently asked our IT department how to gain access to an
>>> addressbook. After carefully explaining that I was on a Linux system
>>> using Python, I got the reply:
>>> "You should use our LDAP. With LDAP you can pull any data you want
>>> from Active Directory. On our network, the serverless binding address
>>> for our LDAP is ldap://dc=...,dc=...,dc=...,dc=..."
>>> with the actual "..." filled in.
>>> I don't know squat about LDAP, but installed the python-ldap deb, and
>>> started glancing at the documentation on-line. I didn't see anything
>>> obvious for working with the URI above. Can I work w/ it? If so, a
>>> short example, please?
>>> Thanx.

>> http://www.python-ldap.org/doc/html/...l.html#example

>
> Ah, it wasn't clear to me that "localhost:1389" meant serverless.
> Armed with that, I'm off to experiment.


localhost:1389 means localhost on port 1389. It has nothing to do with
server-less bind.

Server-less bind is based on a DNS lookup: Let's say you want to query the DNS
server for returning the LDAP server(s) for naming context dc=uninett,dc=no
then invoke on the command-line:

$ host -t srv _ldap._tcp.uninett.no.
_ldap._tcp.uninett.no has SRV record 0 0 389 ldap.uninett.no.

That is also heavily used with MS AD.

Off course you can do this SRV lookup with http://pydns.sf.net which is
actually done in my LDAP client http://web2ldap.de:

http://demo.web2ldap.de:1760/web2lda...ett,dc=no??one

Ciao, Michael.

--
Michael Ströder
E-Mail: michael@stroeder.com
http://www.stroeder.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.