Velocity Reviews

-   -   Win7 64-bit upgrade - keeping XP Pro (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t704994-win7-64-bit-upgrade-keeping-xp-pro.html)

Jerry 11-11-2009 11:05 PM

Win7 64-bit upgrade - keeping XP Pro

Upgraded to a 64-bit capable motherboard and cpu late last year.

Installed XP pro w/SP3 on it and it runs fine.

Got a legitimate copy of XP Pro x64 w/SP2 which I installed sometime later
in a dual-boot configuration. Did not want to replace XP Pro 32-bit with it
because of software/drivers/etc compatibility problems I'd heard of.

So, if I now upgrade to Win7 Pro 64-bit using that DVD that comes in the
package I'm assuming it will 'upgrade' and replace my XP Pro x64 version
with Win7 64-bit while leaving XP Pro 32-bit alone and I'll still be able to
dual-boot: XP Pro 32-bit and Win7 64-bit.

Thanks

Drew 11-11-2009 11:54 PM

Re: Win7 64-bit upgrade - keeping XP Pro

As far as everything I have read you cannot upgrade from any version of xp
to win 7.. It must be a clean install!... unless of course you want to
purchase vista and upgrade to that and then turn right around and purchase
windows 7 and then upgrade to that. just my 3 cents but wish you luck!

Rajesh Shenoy 11-12-2009 05:33 AM

Re: Win7 64-bit upgrade - keeping XP Pro

To clarify,

1. Yes, you will be able to "Upgrade" Win XP x64 in the sense that you will
be able to run the Win 7 x64 Upgrade DVD from within the XP, and it will go
to that partition itself.
2. No, you will NOT be able to "Upgrade" in the sense that your applications
and settings will get carried over to the new OS automatically.

Read full details in winsupersite.com.

Jerry 11-12-2009 06:09 AM

Re: Win7 64-bit upgrade - keeping XP Pro

OK - let me clarify.

First, I know you can't really 'upgrade' from XP, any version, to Win7.

But, I also know you can 'upgrade' from XP to Win7 if XP is installed
already. The Win7 install routine will verify the legitimacy if the XP
installation and will then proceed to remove it and install itself in that
location.

Knowing what I said is supposed to be true then I would expect to install
Win7 64-bit; Win7 64-bit would verify XP Pro x64 as valid, remove it,
install itself in its place and, therfore, I would have XP Pro 32-bit and
Win7 64-bit in a dual-bott configuration.

andy 11-12-2009 11:06 PM

Re: Win7 64-bit upgrade - keeping XP Pro

During Windows 7 setup, you can easily format the Windows XP x64
partition before installing Windows 7 in that partition.

Jerry 11-13-2009 09:59 PM

Re: Win7 64-bit upgrade - keeping XP Pro

The statement below is in no way an answer to my question.

John Barnes 11-15-2009 12:25 AM

Re: Win7 64-bit upgrade - keeping XP Pro

The Win7 installation does not automatically install to any particular
partition. You have to know which partition you want to select when it asks
you where you want to install. Make sure the descriptions of your
partitions are such that you can make a proper selection and do not
accidentally overwrite your XP installation.