Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: computer shuts off (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t703791-re-computer-shuts-off.html)

Paul 11-01-2009 05:08 PM

Re: computer shuts off

Ray wrote:
> When i start my computer up, the fan starts to whirl very loud and after 20
> secs the computer shuts down, any ideas ?

Check to see if the clip that holds the CPU heatsink/fan to the
CPU socket is broken. It could be, that the CPU is not being
cooled, because the heatsink is no longer in contact with the
top of the CPU.

Modern processors have "THERMTRIP", which is overheat protection,
and that signal is tied into the PS_ON# signal on the power
supply. If the CPU thinks it is getting too hot, that hardware
signal shuts off the power, without needing any software to do it.
It is effectively just a thermal diode and hard wired logic.

If you take it apart, you can put some fresh thermal paste on
top of the processor. The thermal paste enhances heat transfer.
A thin layer of paste, displaces air in the gap between the two surfaces.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appi...ecore_wcap.pdf

Paul

jinxy 11-01-2009 11:22 PM

Re: computer shuts off

On Nov 1, 12:08*pm, Paul <nos...@needed.com> wrote:
> Ray wrote:
> > When i start my computer up, the fan starts to whirl very loud and after 20
> > secs the computer shuts down, any ideas ?

> Check to see if the clip that holds the CPU heatsink/fan to the
> CPU socket is broken. It could be, that the CPU is not being
> cooled, because the heatsink is no longer in contact with the
> top of the CPU.
>
> Modern processors have "THERMTRIP", which is overheat protection,
> and that signal is tied into the PS_ON# signal on the power
> supply. If the CPU thinks it is getting too hot, that hardware
> signal shuts off the power, without needing any software to do it.
> It is effectively just a thermal diode and hard wired logic.
>
> If you take it apart, you can put some fresh thermal paste on
> top of the processor. The thermal paste enhances heat transfer.
> A thin layer of paste, displaces air in the gap between the two surfaces.
>
> http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appi..._singlecore_wc...
>
> * * Paul

Remove the power supply and open it up , look for blown or buldging
caps. If you see any, replace the unit.
-J