Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Xtra Big Time - something wrong (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t703729-re-xtra-big-time-something-wrong.html)

Donchano 11-01-2009 02:13 AM

Re: Xtra Big Time - something wrong

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 14:06:48 +1300, "geoff" <geoff@nospampaf.co.nz>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>I've been getting sustained 6Mb/s speeds over the last few days. And I'm
>over 4KM from my exchange.
>
>I'm sure something is wrong and it's only a matter of time until they 'fix'
>it....

I started experiencing a major slowdown on my soon to be axed
"GoLarge) week before last. I think it was Telecom's way of showing me
what I could expect if I took the option of switching to "Big Time."

So a couple of days ago I signed up for the "Explorer" plan. 10gigs a
month for $49.95 with no throttling.

A mere 24 hours later, the improvement was remarkable, although I'll
probably have to upgrade to their $59.95/20gig plan.

Come on, National! Where's that "competition" we heard so much about
before the election?

bugalugs 11-01-2009 03:06 AM

Donchano wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 14:06:48 +1300, "geoff" <geoff@nospampaf.co.nz>
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>> I've been getting sustained 6Mb/s speeds over the last few days. And I'm
>> over 4KM from my exchange.
>>
>> I'm sure something is wrong and it's only a matter of time until they 'fix'
>> it....

> I started experiencing a major slowdown on my soon to be axed
> "GoLarge) week before last. I think it was Telecom's way of showing me
> what I could expect if I took the option of switching to "Big Time."
>
> So a couple of days ago I signed up for the "Explorer" plan. 10gigs a
> month for $49.95 with no throttling.
>
> A mere 24 hours later, the improvement was remarkable, although I'll
> probably have to upgrade to their $59.95/20gig plan.

I had the same "problem". A couple of days after signing up for the
Explorer package my speed went up from about 2.5 to consistently over
12Mb/s. That was about 6/8 months ago, and I'm 7/8k from Central and not
scheduled to get cabinetisation until 2011.

Carnations 11-01-2009 03:49 AM

On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 15:13:52 +1300, Donchano wrote:

> So a couple of days ago I signed up for the "Explorer" plan. 10gigs a
> month for $49.95 with no throttling.
>
> A mere 24 hours later, the improvement was remarkable, although I'll
> probably have to upgrade to their $59.95/20gig plan.

Did you realise that this would mean that you're paying approx $0.50 per meg and if you "upgrade"
you'll be paying approx $0.30 per meg - nearly half the cost per meg of data transferred?

This strongly suggests to me that either someone is ripping off the people who use less, or the people
who use less are subsidizing those who use more.

Richard 11-01-2009 04:31 AM

Carnations wrote:

> Did you realise that this would mean that you're paying approx $0.50 per meg and if you "upgrade"
> you'll be paying approx $0.30 per meg - nearly half the cost per meg of data transferred?
>
> This strongly suggests to me that either someone is ripping off the people who use less, or the people
> who use less are subsidizing those who use more.

Or that there is both a fixed and a variable component to the ISP's costs.

EMB 11-01-2009 07:47 AM

Richard wrote:
> Carnations wrote:
>

>> Did you realise that this would mean that you're paying approx $0.50
>> per meg and if you "upgrade" you'll be paying approx $0.30 per meg -
>> nearly half the cost per meg of data transferred?
>>
>> This strongly suggests to me that either someone is ripping off the
>> people who use less, or the people who use less are subsidizing those
>> who use more.

> Or that there is both a fixed and a variable component to the ISP's costs.

exactly - $39.95 fixed costs, and $1.00/GB data usage costs.

Carnations 11-01-2009 10:31 AM

On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 20:47:26 +1300, EMB wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>> Carnations wrote:
>>

>>> Did you realise that this would mean that you're paying approx $0.50
>>> per meg and if you "upgrade" you'll be paying approx $0.30 per meg -
>>> nearly half the cost per meg of data transferred?
>>>
>>> This strongly suggests to me that either someone is ripping off the
>>> people who use less, or the people who use less are subsidizing those
>>> who use more.

>> Or that there is both a fixed and a variable component to the ISP's
>> costs.

> exactly - $39.95 fixed costs, and $1.00/GB data usage costs.

Would you care to break those fixed costs down?

If _fixed_ costs are $40 with data costs a mere $1/gb, then why do all Telecom/Xtra's DSL broadband
offerings have such variety in their "fixed" costs?

EMB 11-01-2009 11:17 AM

Carnations wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 20:47:26 +1300, EMB wrote:
>
>> Richard wrote:

>>> Or that there is both a fixed and a variable component to the ISP's
>>> costs.

>> exactly - $39.95 fixed costs, and $1.00/GB data usage costs.

> Would you care to break those fixed costs down?

No. One of my clients would probably take a dim view of me doing so.

> If _fixed_ costs are $40 with data costs a mere $1/gb, then why do all Telecom/Xtra's DSL broadband
> offerings have such variety in their "fixed" costs?

Apart from "Big Time" they all fit the model rather well. Do try
researching before opening your mouth and making a fool of yourself.

Carnations 11-02-2009 06:21 AM

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 00:17:47 +1300, EMB wrote:

>>> exactly - $39.95 fixed costs, and $1.00/GB data usage costs.

>> Would you care to break those fixed costs down?

> No. One of my clients would probably take a dim view of me doing so.

Why would any of your clients object to you discussing the cost structure of a service offered by
Telecom/Xtra?

EMB 11-02-2009 06:28 AM

Carnations wrote:

>>> Would you care to break those fixed costs down?

>> No. One of my clients would probably take a dim view of me doing so.

> Why would any of your clients object to you discussing the cost structure of a service offered by
> Telecom/Xtra?

Logic really isn't your strong point is it?

Carnations 11-02-2009 07:55 AM

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 19:28:24 +1300, EMB wrote:

> Carnations wrote:

>>> No. One of my clients would probably take a dim view of me doing so.

>> Why would any of your clients object to you discussing the cost
>> structure of a service offered by Telecom/Xtra?

> Logic really isn't your strong point is it?

Why have you started ad-hominems instead of objectively discussing this Telecom/Xtra service?