Velocity Reviews

-   -   Feedback desired on reworked ch 1 progr. intro (now Python 3.x, Windows) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t703638-feedback-desired-on-reworked-ch-1-progr-intro-now-python-3-x-windows.html)

Alf P. Steinbach 10-31-2009 07:40 AM

Feedback desired on reworked ch 1 progr. intro (now Python 3.x, Windows)

Hi all!

After my earlier feedback request a lot of you responded with constructive
criticism and suggestions.

As a result of that I've changed the text to be based on *Python 3.x* instead of
2.6+, and chapter 1 "Getting started" has grown from 9 pages to a whopping 11 pages!

I would particularly like to thank the following persons (although of course I
don't know whether any of them would recommend the old text, or the new text!
:-) ), because they directly caused changes of the text:

Chris Rebert, in [comp.lang.python]
Ch 1
"all batteries included" -> "batteries included"
"OS/X" -> "Mac OS X" (with a space, not a slash)
"implementation" -> "distribution"

Eric Brunel, in [comp.lang.python]
Ch 1
static type checking discussion yielding wrong impression

bartc@freeuk.com, in [comp.lang.python]
Ch 1
Unclear that Windows subsystems are not something to do with Python.

Ethan Furman, in private communication
Ch 1
Pointed out the renaming 2.6 "Tkinter" -> 3.x "tkinter"

Jon Clements, in [comp.lang.python]
General
Info about Python 3.x that let me switch to 3.x

Plus, the person who suggested that I should mention the PSPad editor, but I
forgot to note who that was (sorry).

I hope this new version of ch 1 is, well, better, addresses some of the concerns
raised? <g>

<url: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ProgrammingBookP3>
Formats: PDF, text

Now starting on ch 2, which with Python 3.x should become a lot cleaner...

Cheers,

- Alf

Alf P. Steinbach 11-01-2009 09:24 PM

Re: Feedback desired on reworked ch 1 progr. intro (now Python 3.x,Windows)

* Rhodri James:
> Before we start, can I just say that I find Google Docs loathsome?
>
> On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 07:40:36 -0000, Alf P. Steinbach <alfps@start.no>
> wrote:
>
>> I hope this new version of ch 1 is, well, better, addresses some of
>> the concerns raised? <g>

> Section 1.1 needs serious work.

Could you please expand on that?

It is a hint.

Byt it doesn't leave me with much to go on regarding what you mean.

> You have a very assertive writing style
> and a lot of things that you definitively state are at best debatable.
> If I'd picked that up in a shop and browsed that opening, I'd put the
> book down and walk away; essentially you're calling your accuracy into
> question before you've even said anything about programming.

Could you please expand on this also? Sort of, more concrete?

Cheers & thanks,

- Alf