Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows 7 64bit and 32bit HD Compatability? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t702791-windows-7-64bit-and-32bit-hd-compatability.html)

Steven Hilgendorf 10-24-2009 03:50 PM

Windows 7 64bit and 32bit HD Compatability?

Hello,

This is my first experience with 64bit Windows so please ignore my
ignorance. I will be clean installing 64bit Windows 7 on a raid array
and I'm wondering if the new Windows 7 system will recognize an existing
formated 32bit IDE hard drive? This IDE drive contains documents,
files, program & driver updates, and other back-up stuff.

If Windows 7 will recognize the drive, would you recommend I temporarily
disconnect the IDE drive until I re-format the array and install Windows
7 64bit clean, then reconnect the IDE drive once everything is up and
running, or is this not necessary?

Any other suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciates.

Thank you,

Steven

Jeff Gaines 10-24-2009 04:02 PM

Re: Windows 7 64bit and 32bit HD Compatability?

On 24/10/2009 in message <euBdjGMVKHA.3720@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> Steven
Hilgendorf wrote:

>Hello,
>
>This is my first experience with 64bit Windows so please ignore my
>ignorance. I will be clean installing 64bit Windows 7 on a raid array and
>I'm wondering if the new Windows 7 system will recognize an existing
>formated 32bit IDE hard drive? This IDE drive contains documents, files,
>program & driver updates, and other back-up stuff.

If it's a format Windows recognises (FAT, FAT32, NTFS) then Win 7 will
recognise it.

>If Windows 7 will recognize the drive, would you recommend I temporarily
>disconnect the IDE drive until I re-format the array and install Windows 7
>64bit clean, then reconnect the IDE drive once everything is up and
>running, or is this not necessary?

I don't think that should be necessary.

>Any other suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciates.

Do you really want the hassle of installing the OS on a RAID? I suppose it
may make sense sometimes for data but to me it just doubles the risk of
failure.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is

Bobby Johnson 10-24-2009 05:47 PM

Re: Windows 7 64bit and 32bit HD Compatability?

Win 7 x64 drivers for the RAID host will be needed. Make sure you can
obtain them before you start.

Steven Hilgendorf 10-24-2009 07:30 PM

Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 24/10/2009 in message <euBdjGMVKHA.3720@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl> Steven
> Hilgendorf wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is my first experience with 64bit Windows so please ignore my
>> ignorance. I will be clean installing 64bit Windows 7 on a raid array
>> and I'm wondering if the new Windows 7 system will recognize an
>> existing formated 32bit IDE hard drive? This IDE drive contains
>> documents, files, program & driver updates, and other back-up stuff.

> If it's a format Windows recognises (FAT, FAT32, NTFS) then Win 7 will
> recognise it.

Yes, It's FAT32 setup and formated with VISTA.

>> If Windows 7 will recognize the drive, would you recommend I
>> temporarily disconnect the IDE drive until I re-format the array and
>> install Windows 7 64bit clean, then reconnect the IDE drive once
>> everything is up and running, or is this not necessary?

> I don't think that should be necessary.

OK, however I still may unplug the drive during setup and format so that
the IDE drive content does not get zapped.

>> Any other suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciates.

> Do you really want the hassle of installing the OS on a RAID? I suppose
> it may make sense sometimes for data but to me it just doubles the risk
> of failure.

I've installed my last two OS's on RAID 0 ARRAYS and have not worried
about failure, since I backup my data regularly. I also try to upgrade
my hardware every year or so.

Thanks again,

Steven

Steven Hilgendorf 10-24-2009 07:31 PM

Re: Windows 7 64bit and 32bit HD Compatability?

Ah good point!

Thanks again,

Steven

Charlie Russel - MVP 10-24-2009 09:04 PM

Re: Windows 7 64bit and 32bit HD Compatability?

Why would the content get "zapped"? You're going to be formatting the array,
fine, but that won't change the data drive.

I also think that having RAID0 is a really bad idea, since it does double
your chance of failure. And while you might have a good backup, it's still a
pain.

--
Charlie.
http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

mikeyhsd 10-24-2009 11:59 PM

Re: Windows 7 64bit and 32bit HD Compatability?

be cautious.
make sure drivers are available for the RAID array before installing.

been at least 1 report of no raid drivers.

mikeyhsd@lamparty.net

swarfega 10-25-2009 09:09 AM

Re: Windows 7 64bit and 32bit HD Compatability?

You may want to convert the hard drives from fat32 to ntfs when you come to
format them.

David B. 10-26-2009 01:05 PM

Re: Windows 7 64bit and 32bit HD Compatability?

Not necessarily, depends on the chipset, 7 has drivers for some.

David B. 10-26-2009 01:06 PM

Re: Windows 7 64bit and 32bit HD Compatability?

How is it a hassle? Yes it doubles the chance of a hard drive failure, but
frequent backups take care of that risk.