Velocity Reviews

-   -   Win 7 (64) And Remote Desktop (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t702380-win-7-64-and-remote-desktop.html)

Jeff Gaines 10-21-2009 08:53 AM

Win 7 (64) And Remote Desktop

My retail copy of Win 7 Home Premium should arrive today.

Following a comment I saw in a news group I have a horrible feeling that I
won't be able to connect to it with remote desktop, I may need the
Professional version for that.

Can anybody confirm/refute that?

There's no point in putting it on my main PC if I can't connect to it from
my laptop, I'll have to leave the RC running a bit longer and put it on
the laptop instead.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation

John J. Jobst 10-21-2009 01:10 PM

Re: Win 7 (64) And Remote Desktop

According to the chart on Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows
(http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_skus_compare.asp), Remote Desktop
Host is in Professional, not in Home Premium.

David B. 10-21-2009 02:04 PM

Re: Win 7 (64) And Remote Desktop

You need Pro, and this is nothing new, was also not available in Vista Home
Premium or XP Home Edition.

Jeff Gaines 10-21-2009 03:08 PM

Re: Win 7 (64) And Remote Desktop

On 21/10/2009 in message <uuNWvdlUKHA.3720@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl> David B.
wrote:

>You need Pro, and this is nothing new, was also not available in Vista
>Home Premium or XP Home Edition.

OK, thanks John and David. I'll put the Home Premium on the laptop and
order professional for the main PC.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks

Charlie Russel - MVP 10-21-2009 04:53 PM

Re: Win 7 (64) And Remote Desktop

Or you could do an anytime upgrade to Ultimate with it. A bit more $$,
admittedly, but does get you some other useful things like BitLocker.

--
Charlie.
http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Jeff Gaines 10-21-2009 06:53 PM

Re: Win 7 (64) And Remote Desktop

On 21/10/2009 in message <ezQIG8mUKHA.844@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl> Charlie
Russel - MVP wrote:

>Or you could do an anytime upgrade to Ultimate with it. A bit more $$,
>admittedly, but does get you some other useful things like BitLocker.

Thanks Charlie, I've installed it on the laptop and it's working after it
down-loaded drivers for such obscure hardware as the Intel 2200bg wireless
card :-(

Still no Intel Extreme graphics drive available either!

I'll buy a full version of Pro for the main PC, if I've understood
correctly I would have to install XP x64 or Vista 64 to be able to use an
upgrade version rather than just showing it the CD/DVD and that's too much
hassle.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his

John J. Jobst 10-21-2009 08:31 PM

Re: Win 7 (64) And Remote Desktop

I wasn't aware that the official Microsoft upgrade procedure had been
published yet. Where did you see it?

Jeff Gaines 10-21-2009 11:08 PM

Re: Win 7 (64) And Remote Desktop

On 21/10/2009 in message <O0Ka61oUKHA.4300@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl> John J.
Jobst wrote:

>I wasn't aware that the official Microsoft upgrade procedure had been
>published yet. Where did you see it?

That's a question and a half. I've picked it up from news groups and
computer magazines. It may be complete rubbish of course.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.

rak 10-22-2009 12:23 AM

Re: Win 7 (64) And Remote Desktop

Windows Live Mesh. Vista laptop to Windows 7 RC1 Desktop. No problem.
Have only tried it on the lan, not the internet.