Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windowsupdate not working anymore... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t702190-windowsupdate-not-working-anymore.html)

Skybuck Flying 10-20-2009 12:47 AM

Windowsupdate not working anymore...

Very strange...

I will try again tomorrow.

OS is Windows XP x64 Pro...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying 10-21-2009 12:10 AM

Re: Windowsupdate not working anymore...

"Ken" <wswenson@cablespeed.com> wrote in message

> "Skybuck Flying" <BloodyShame@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:cd5a1$4add08a0$d53372a9$23324@cache4.tilbu1.n b.home.nl...
>> Very strange...
>>
>> I will try again tomorrow.
>>
>> OS is Windows XP x64 Pro...
>>
>> Bye,
>> Skybuck.
>>

> I have the same OS and just finished dealing with that same problem. After
> several exchanges of e-mail "help" from MS, we finally determined my
> active
> account was corrupt. I created a new account and update worked. YMMV.

Hello,

Today I tried again... I get this error message did you get the same one ?

I also noticed file/folder name corruption a few days ago... It was
something very very very rare and probably has to do with the 255 character
limit for file/folder names... it also happened when using Delphi 2007
IDE...

Could be a Delphi 2007 IDE... but could also be some rare/weird Windows
corruption.

It could also be date or file system related...

You mention account corruption... maybe it was also caused by such a big...

That we both are experiencing these kinds of problems could hint at a
general corruption bug somewhere in xp x64.

I re-saved the file to a different folder and all is fine... then saved it
back and all is fine...

Anyway this is the message I get:

I can remember I also saw some message which said I was not administrator ?
which is kinda weird since I am always administrator ?

Maybe windows pc's are getting attacked by some websites which alter the
administrator account ?!?

Also how did you fix it ? Did you just create a new administrator account
?!?

(everything I write above is pure speculation...)

"
Windows Update Error

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested
page.

Select from any of the following pages for information about Windows Update
services, or send us your feedback.

Windows Update Home Page
About Windows Update
Support Information

You can also get online support if you are having problems with Windows
Update.
"

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying 10-21-2009 12:17 AM

Re: Windowsupdate not working anymore...

I will try to look into these "known problems to see if that solves it"

It's kinda late not sure if I am gonna try now...

Text is from this trouble shooting site:

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

Possible solution 1 (for display update error):

(Error message is almost the same but slightly different instead of supply
it says display:

Problem Description:
This may occur if Service Pack 1 has been removed from the computer either
through System
Restore or by reinstalling Windows XP into the same directory. You may see
a page that states that the Web page has an unexpected error or cannot
display the page that was requested.

Resolutions:
The value for the CSDVersion in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Windows
needs to be changed to 0. If you are comfortable editing the registry,
follow the instructions below.
1. Click "Start," and then click "Run."
2. In the Open box type regedit and click "OK."
3. Browse in the left frame to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Windows
4. In the right frame you will see the key CSDVersion. Double click this
key.
5. Change the value to 0 and click "OK."
6. Restart the computer.

Issue Applies To:
Windows XP

Did this resolve your problem?

Your answer is anonymous and is used to help improve content on this site.
Your privacy is protected. More about this

Possible solution 2 (for administrator error):

When trying to use the Windows Update Web site you receive an
"Administrators Only" error message (Windows XP only)

Problem Description:
When you attempt to use the Windows Update site, you may receive an error
message similar to the following:

Administrators Only (-2146828218) To install items from Windows Update,
you
must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators
group. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy
settings
may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

You receive this message even though you are already logged on as an
administrator or a member of the Administrators group.

Resolutions:
This issue indicates a problem accessing a resource and may not indicate a
lack of administrative privileges. One of the resolutions below may help.

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:

1. Click "Start," and then click "Run."
2. In the Open box, type regedit and then click "OK."
3. Locate and select the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\WindowsUpdate
4. click "Edit," and then click "Permissions."
5. Click "Add," and then type "Everyone" in the
dialog box that appears.
6. Click "Check Names," and then click "OK."
7. Select "Everyone" in the "Group or user names" list.
8. Under Permissions for "Everyone," select the "Full Control" check box
in the "Allow" column. Note that the "Read" check box in the "Allow"
column is now also selected.
9. Select each user, in turn, in the "Group or user names" list, and then
verify
that no check boxes are selected in the "Deny" column. Clear any check
boxes that are selected in the "Deny" column.
10. Click "Advanced," and then select the "Replace permission entries on all
child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects" check
box, and then click "OK."
11. Click "Yes" if you are prompted for confirmation.

NOTE: You should also check the firewall and the proxy server settings and
configurations, or ask the appropriate administrator to do so.
You can work around this issue by adding the following to the exceptions
list in the Internet

Options Proxy Settings:

Windowsupdate.microsoft.com
V4.Windowsupdate.microsoft.com
Download.Windowsupdate.com

To access the Exceptions settings.
1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Click "Tools," and then click "Internet Options."
3. Click "Connections," and then click "LAN Settings."
4. Click "Advanced" and add windowsupdate.microsoft.com to the exceptions
list.
1. Open Internet Explorer, click "Tools" and then click "Internet Options."
2. Click "Advanced".
3. Scroll down until you see "Use HTTP 1.1 through Proxy Connections," and
then select the
check box.
4. Click "OK."
5. Close and restart Internet Explorer. You should now be able to connect to
Windows Update.
Rename the subdirectory C:Windows\System32\Catroot2 to
C:Windows\System32\Catroot2temp\.
Restart the computer and then try to run Windows Update.

Skybuck Flying 10-21-2009 12:20 AM

Re: Windowsupdate not working anymore...

Ok,

I am not going to do any reboots now... it's to late and it takes to long.

But I just want to document what I found out about solution 1:

My CSDVersion is 0x00000200 (512)

The solution says to change this to 0.

I hope nothing bad happens if I try that ?!

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying 10-21-2009 12:25 AM

Re: Windowsupdate not working anymore...

It seems CSDVersion is some kind of "variable/field" which indicates what
service pack is installed.

I wonder what will happen if this is changed from 512 to 0...

Will this trigger a re-downloading of sp1 or sp2 ?

That might **** up my computer badly ?!?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying 10-21-2009 12:29 AM

Re: Windowsupdate not working anymore...

I am also getting a little bit worried, some people mention a virus that
might change CSDVersion maybe to deliberately disable windows update...

I can imagine a virus writer might want to disable windows update because it
has a "anti virus scanning" tool or something like that...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying 10-21-2009 06:57 PM

Re: Windowsupdate not working anymore...

My file systems do have some problems... probably because of crashes in the
past or so...

Now I am gonna schedule chkdsk and hope for the best ! ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck 10-21-2009 09:08 PM

On 20 okt, 07:26, "Ken" <wswen...@cablespeed.com> wrote:
> "SkybuckFlying" <BloodySh...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:cd5a1$4add08a0$d53372a9$23324@cache4.tilbu1.n b.home.nl...> Very strange...
>
> > I will try again tomorrow.

> > OS isWindowsXP x64 Pro...

> > Bye,
> > *Skybuck.

> I have the same OS and just finished dealing with that same problem. After
> several exchanges of e-mail "help" from MS, we finally determined my active
> account was corrupt. I created a new account andupdateworked. YMMV.

I created a new administrator account... the updating worked, however
I lost my old account ?!?

The data is still there 1.5 GB but I cannot login...

This is a very bad solution because this gets rid of a whole lot of
settings and data probably.

This also seems like the Mac OS X bug where people loose their
desktop.

I am also wondering if you are a bad person and telling me this
solution to cause damage on my system.

I shall now have to investigate how to get my old account back without
overwriting it.

Skybuck Flying 10-21-2009 09:15 PM

Re: Windowsupdate not working anymore...

Ok,

I read a solution somewhere else...

It's quite simple but first what I did wrong:

I tried to login with "Skybuck"...

The trick is to login in with:

"Administrator"

and then the password...

Thank god it worked... all settings back to normal ! =D

I will keep using this account... I don't really believe the corruption
thingy... or maybe there is some thruth in it I don't know... I will pay
attention to it... what triggered me to do a checkdisk... is that my
settings in company of heroes where lost... which is kinda strange... I
assume file damage or so that should now be fixed...

But putting back all the settings to a new account would take ages... so not
gonna do that...

For now I will use the other account to do windows updates when needed... if
the main one continues not to work ! ;)

Thanks,
Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying 10-21-2009 09:16 PM

Re: Windowsupdate not working anymore...

Yeah I just checked... the main/default/built in administrator account fails
to update windows...

So for now I will use the secondary account when needed...

This is kinda strange ! ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.