Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows 7 freeze (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t702017-windows-7-freeze.html)

VE2 10-18-2009 06:09 PM

Windows 7 freeze

Hello
I have Win 7 x64 RTM which has been running well for
some weeks now, including yesterday. Today, upon startup
I could not run anything - all I got was the busy cursor.
I could ctrl-alt-del to the task manager but again the
busy cursor would not let me do anything. Switching off
and restarting several times did not help. I ended up
booting from my system repair disk and doing a full
image restore from my backup.
Any ideas on what went wrong or something else I
could have done?

Bobby Johnson 10-18-2009 06:34 PM

Re: Windows 7 freeze

Virtually impossible to know without more information.

VE2 10-18-2009 07:26 PM

Re: Windows 7 freeze

Yes, I may never know. I could not even navigate
the task manager to get a clue...

Charlie Russel - MVP 10-18-2009 07:54 PM

Re: Windows 7 freeze

Some things to try if this happens again:

hard reboot and press F8 as soon as it starts. Select safe mode and see if
it solves it. If it does, you can check the alert logs while in safe mode,
and also run msconfig to disable everything non-microsoft in the startup
process and try booting to see if that solves it.

--
Charlie.
http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

VE2 10-18-2009 09:26 PM

Re: Windows 7 freeze

Yes, I should have tried that. My backup was only a couple of
days old so I went that route. One thing it allowed me to do
after ctrl-alt-del was switch users but I only had one. I now
have two with admin privileges; hopefully now I could at least
do a simple restore point.

mikeyhsd 10-18-2009 11:22 PM

Re: Windows 7 freeze

did you by chance notice if all your devices properly propagated when booting.

sometimes a hard drive fails to spin up in time.

mikeyhsd@lamparty.net

John Barnes 10-19-2009 03:10 PM

Re: Windows 7 freeze

You can do a restore point from the install DVD

VE2 10-19-2009 10:51 PM

Re: Windows 7 freeze

Good to know! The system repair disk had a restore point
option but in my case the restore failed.

VE2 10-19-2009 10:57 PM

Re: Windows 7 freeze

Everything seemed normal. The PC is multibooted with Windows XP
and it worked fine so I don't suspect hardware.

What I do suspect now however was the last program I installed and was
running before shutdown - picophone, a 32bit voip app. Perhaps because
it deals with IP addresses and port numbers (maybe some assembly language?)
it is not 64bit compatible.