Velocity Reviews

-   -   How can we get rid of all the spam in this group?? Aren't there somekind of filters?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t701910-how-can-we-get-rid-of-all-the-spam-in-this-group-arent-there-somekind-of-filters.html)

Lango 10-17-2009 08:12 PM

How can we get rid of all the spam in this group?? Aren't there somekind of filters??

Really, there has to be a way to block these spammers.

Dave Higton 10-17-2009 09:51 PM

Re: How can we get rid of all the spam in this group?? Aren't there some kind of filters??

In message <da2cd4fe-18a7-4777-a42f-cab722642fb2@x25g2000prf.googlegroups.com>
Lango <mr.arango@gmail.com> wrote:

> Really, there has to be a way to block these spammers.

The best way is to pay for a news service that filters them out.
I use news.individual.net for 10 Euros per annum, and I see
/zero/ spams on this group.

Dave

aleksa 10-18-2009 09:08 AM

On Oct 17, 10:12*pm, Lango <mr.ara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Really, there has to be a way to block these spammers.

You should try the FREE: http://www.eternal-september.org

I'm using it with opera for some days, only on spammed NGs,
and there are no spam messages.

However, it would be better if google would do its job
as good as it did with gmail, since it has a search engine.

James Harris 10-19-2009 08:24 AM

On 18 Oct, 10:08, aleksa <aleks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 17, 10:12*pm, Lango <mr.ara...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Really, there has to be a way to block these spammers.

> You should try the FREE: http://www.eternal-september.org
>
> I'm using it with opera for some days, only on spammed NGs,
> and there are no spam messages.
>
> However, it would be better if google would do its job
> as good as it did with gmail, since it has a search engine.

Agreed. Google should do its job. Notice that September is completely
spam free. I reported all of September's spams to Google and they have
deleted all of them from their site. After the first ones were deleted
the number of spams dropped markedly.

Unfortunately after their initial effort Google seem to have stopped
responding to spam reports in comp.lang.vhdl. I saw first a trickle of
spams begin again (3 October). When these weren't acted upon the flood
started again on 6th October and has continued since.

I have continued to report spams to Google for October. So far with no
apparent response. It's too bad. It's one thing to do this if it has
effect (and then the number of spams is small anyway) but I have other
things to do and I'm not going to waste time continuing to do this if
they don't take action.

I'll continue to report all spams to the end of October. Maybe the
person at Google who took action before is away on leave.

James

aleksa 10-19-2009 09:05 AM

Re: How can we get rid of all the spam in this group?? Aren't theresome kind of filters??

On Oct 19, 10:24*am, James Harris <james.harri...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> On 18 Oct, 10:08, aleksa <aleks...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Oct 17, 10:12*pm, Lango <mr.ara...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Really, there has to be a way to block these spammers.

> > You should try the FREE:http://www.eternal-september.org

> > I'm using it with opera for some days, only on spammed NGs,
> > and there are no spam messages.

> > However, it would be better if google would do its job
> > as good as it did with gmail, since it has a search engine.

> Agreed. Google should do its job. Notice that September is completely
> spam free. I reported all of September's spams to Google and they have
> deleted all of them from their site. After the first ones were deleted
> the number of spams dropped markedly.
>
> Unfortunately after their initial effort Google seem to have stopped
> responding to spam reports in comp.lang.vhdl. I saw first a trickle of
> spams begin again (3 October). When these weren't acted upon the flood
> started again on 6th October and has continued since.
>
> I have continued to report spams to Google for October. So far with no
> apparent response. It's too bad. It's one thing to do this if it has
> effect (and then the number of spams is small anyway) but I have other
> things to do and I'm not going to waste time continuing to do this if
> they don't take action.
>
> I'll continue to report all spams to the end of October. Maybe the
> person at Google who took action before is away on leave.
>
> James

There should be no *person at google* who has to take any action.

Something like:

1. mark messages that you feel are spam and click on "Report as spam".
Those messages are, immediately, hidden from YOU. Probably the
sender
should be blocked all together, not just the marked messages.

2. when enough people do the same thing, the message (and sender) is
hidden from all of us.

I believe that is how gmail works and, of course, I wonder why groups
are not managed
the same way. They probably work on something that brings more money.